Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New strap

I got a new strap last week, and I love it. It's the PacSafe CarrySafe 100. It's intended as a high-security anti-theft strap (the link has a good rundown of all the security features), but I mainly bought it because of its length: it can extend to 60 inches! I finally have a way to wear my camera across my chest.

I've lusted after an R-strap for some time, but this not-so-glowing review (from a Pentax shooter, no less) convinced me that it may not be the best idea. It seems like a fantastic product for long zoom shooters with tripod mounts on their lenses, but not so much for us regular folk.

What I love about the CarrySafe is that the shoulder pad stays put (pretty much) and the strap itself slides through it very smoothly and easily. I have the strap adjusted as far out as it will go, and that puts the camera right at my belt line (when worn across my body. Works beautifully for me.

I read some users' negative comments about the durability of the strap, but I just figure I'll keep an eye on the seams and contact points. Also, it's gone through several product revisions, so that issue has probably already been addressed.

07-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I got a new strap last week, and I love it. It's the PacSafe CarrySafe 100. It's intended as a high-security anti-theft strap (the link has a good rundown of all the security features), but I mainly bought it because of its length: it can extend to 60 inches! I finally have a way to wear my camera across my chest.

I've lusted after an R-strap for some time, but this not-so-glowing review (from a Pentax shooter, no less) convinced me that it may not be the best idea. It seems like a fantastic product for long zoom shooters with tripod mounts on their lenses, but not so much for us regular folk.

What I love about the CarrySafe is that the shoulder pad stays put (pretty much) and the strap itself slides through it very smoothly and easily. I have the strap adjusted as far out as it will go, and that puts the camera right at my belt line (when worn across my body. Works beautifully for me.

I read some users' negative comments about the durability of the strap, but I just figure I'll keep an eye on the seams and contact points. Also, it's gone through several product revisions, so that issue has probably already been addressed.
The question I have, Can you swing the camera from your back up into a shooting position without removing the strap from your body?
07-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
The question I have, Can you swing the camera from your back up into a shooting position without removing the strap from your body?
Absolutely. It slides very easily within the shoulder/neck pad and slides right back when you're done.
07-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Field Accessories section?

07-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Field Accessories section?
No, but I have pockets.
07-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, but I have pockets.
I think this is in the wrong section as mentioned before. Place a flag next to the thread so the mods can spot it quickly.

I actually might get one of these straps, but is it comfortable?
07-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Forum Member

I've been using an upstrap bandoleer for a while, but I'm ordering one of these right now to give it a try.
07-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Inactive Account

What a cool strap. I feel the urge to purchase one.

07-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #9

I use an Up strap myself. A stolen camera can be replaced; a broken neck or getting dragged along the pavement by a slash-proof wire-embedded camera strap is not such a good outcome.
07-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
I use an Up strap myself. A stolen camera can be replaced; a broken neck or getting dragged along the pavement by a slash-proof wire-embedded camera strap is not such a good outcome.
If it were to come down to that, surely you could slip it off, or if not, it has quick-release latches (though they are a little fiddly because of the anti-theftness.)

As for the previous question about comfort, I think it's great. But then, I don't have a big problem with the regular Pentax strap either. I know some people can't stand it.
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If it were to come down to that, surely you could slip it off, or if not, it has quick-release latches (though they are a little fiddly because of the anti-theftness.)

As for the previous question about comfort, I think it's great. But then, I don't have a big problem with the regular Pentax strap either. I know some people can't stand it.
sounds good, but i have one question
in the area where it it is connected to the camera ( i mean the strap that hooks on to the camera lug to the latch connector), does this strap area also have the wire embedded into it

Dave
07-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
sounds good, but i have one question
in the area where it it is connected to the camera ( i mean the strap that hooks on to the camera lug to the latch connector), does this strap area also have the wire embedded into it

Dave
No, I don't think a wired strap would bend enough to fit there. So yes, it still has weak points. But there are two neoprene sleeves that you can slide down to cover that part, if it's the anti-theft thing you're worried about.
07-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

No, I don't think a wired strap would bend enough to fit there. So yes, it still has weak points. But there are two neoprene sleeves that you can slide down to cover that part, if it's the anti-theft thing you're worried about.
to be honest it did not catch me for anti theft, a theif is a theif, and will do what it takes to be a menace to society
it caught my attencion by having the embedded wire, a nice extra security feeling. another thing
how is the gripping surface of the strap where it meets your clothing?
when you lift the camera up to take a pic, does the strap naturally move out of the way?
is it a bulky system? or small and neat?

Dave
07-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
to be honest it did not catch me for anti theft, a theif is a theif, and will do what it takes to be a menace to society
it caught my attencion by having the embedded wire, a nice extra security feeling. another thing
how is the gripping surface of the strap where it meets your clothing?
when you lift the camera up to take a pic, does the strap naturally move out of the way?
is it a bulky system? or small and neat?

Dave
That part of the strap is pretty grippy, and the strap itself slides through it very easily. When you shoot, the pad stays put, and the strap just slides back and forth inside it. It doesn't stay perfectly in place, it does slowly migrate, but it does a commendable job.

As for bulk, the strap itself is pretty narrow, probably only about ". But since it has the wire, it won't stay tightly wound in a camera bag like a regular strap would. But I manage okay.

Last edited by lavascript; 07-27-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added info
07-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
OW! WOW! Horrible, You sound like you are living in a area harsher than the prehistoric caveman ages. Is it Boston where you live? is that bad? There was places like this in Istanbul but the order is pretty much restored after a campaign now. But a few thinner sniffers still around we hear. I strongly believe decent people should have rights to give harsher punishments than the - acceptable punishment rates in the culture we are living in.
Obnoxious monsters!