Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Patriot Brand SDHC Cards

This may be a repeat question, but have any of you experienced problems with any of your DSLR's and Patriot Brand SDHC's? I bought a Patriot 16GB Class 4 for use with my K7 and although it seems fast enough to handle K-7 processes, sometimes I get errors like: No Card, or Can't write to Card, Card is not readable. I take it out, reinsert it and it works; then same thing happens two minutes later. I have used other Class 4 cards in the K-7 with no problem - such as the Toshiba 8GB and the Sandisk Extreme 8GB.

07-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I would be very wary of any product called 'Patriot' in the US. I'd be deeply suspicious that it was aimed at suckers.
Please Note the above comment was not intended as an insult to anyone and was not directed at anyone with a sense of national pride
07-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Patriot SDHC Cards

Thanks Brit. I would be inclined to agree with you if they weren't so broadly distributed. See: Amazon.com: patriot sdhc cards for example. Mine came from Office Depot which normally carries legit stuff.
07-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've used them in the past without problem. However, just recently my sister nearly lost a card full of vacation shots with a brand new 8GB card. And I got a "Card Error" the other day on a new 16GB Patriot card (cycled the power on the camera and it went away).

I typically buy cards on price, but I might stay away from Patriot for a while. Did you buy yours at Fry's? That's where I see them a lot (and where these two came from).

07-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Patriot cards are the only ones I've had write problems with. I have 3 8gb cards of theirs that I'll never use again.
I just don't trust anything but genuine Sandisk. Even their Ultra cards, which are nominally a class 4 are twice as fast as the Patriot class 4 cards.
I believe the write problems are cause by the card not taking data as fast as it should.
07-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterbob Quote
This may be a repeat question, but have any of you experienced problems with any of your DSLR's and Patriot Brand SDHC's? I bought a Patriot 16GB Class 4 for use with my K7 and although it seems fast enough to handle K-7 processes, sometimes I get errors like: No Card, or Can't write to Card, Card is not readable. I take it out, reinsert it and it works; then same thing happens two minutes later. I have used other Class 4 cards in the K-7 with no problem - such as the Toshiba 8GB and the Sandisk Extreme 8GB.
Nope. I have several Patriot SDHC 4 GB and a bunch of Patriot SD 2 GB, all class 4 - no problems with my K200D.
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Patriot class 6 16 gig card that I have used for a long time (well over a year) with several hundred activations in my K10D. I also have an 8 gig class 6 Patriot card that I used for a bit before I got the 16 gig card. Never had a problem. I can also read them both in two computers.

Perhaps the speed class ratings on the patriot cards are not as conservative as other brands. Maybe a class 4 Patriot is no better than a class 2 Sandisk. I know the class ratings are supposed to be manufacturer independent.

Also I've used Patriot memory for several years in several of my computers. Maybe I am just lucky!

I bought my patriot memory "stuff" at Fry's in Woodland Hills and Burbank.

p.s. This is my first post on this forum

-Lance

07-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had a 8GB patriot sdhc card that I bought from frys and it failed in 4 months. I've only used it 2-3 times less than 100 shots written to it.

I replaced it with an Sandisk 16GB Ultra II from amazon.com for $30 shipped. Had that card for about 4 months now with over 800 shots written on it and no problem so far.

PNY and PQi are the other two brands that I had problems with in the past. It was when they where selling 2GB cards for about $50 or so. Not sure how they are today but I would buy them as well.
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wound up returning my Patriot 16gb card to Fry's after it gave me another card error the other night. Power cycling cleared it up, but I didn't want to risk it.

Of course, I then bought a Polaroid (made by PNY?) 16gb card for the same price, so we'll see. I've always treated memory as a commodity to be purchased at the lowest price. This is the first time I've really had a card go bad (or almost go bad), so Patriot gets a time out from me.
07-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Kept getting the error messages with the Patriot Card after formatting in camera, etc. Have replaced the Class 6 Patriot with a Class 4 Kingston and the Kingston runs faster with no error messages so far. Hmmmmmm......wonder what gives?
07-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I tried an "Adata" 16g class 6 card on my K-7, and couldn't get more than 28 seconds continuous video at the 3 stars setting. With my Panasonic 4g class 6 and Kingston 4g class 6, I can shoot continuously with no problems, so I know now that all cards are not created equals.