Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
use of bellows on K10D

I enjoy using bellows on my film cameras. I would like to use them on my K10D. A DSLR would be great for instant feedback on bellows work. But I am afraid of dust.

I have the Canon Auto bellows and the Nikon PB4 tilt and shift bellows. I've used my Canon F1N AE (3rd version) or F1n(2nd version) with the Booster T finder. I have a variety of macro/bellows lenses, enlarging lenses, and focusing macro lenses that I've used.

I can attach my K10D to either bellows via extension tubes and lens adapters. However I am afraid to do so , because I fear getting dust on my camera sensor. I can see amount of air displaced as I move the bellows.

Do I need to fear the dust? Can I go down this path without contamination? Should I somehow insert a UV filter in an extension tube to protect the sensor? Should I just stick to film for bellows?

Thank you,
Lance

07-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Be aware of dust, not afraid of it.
I assume you have a rocket blower, use it on the bellows before attaching them to the camera. When you have finished, blow out the camera to be on the safe side.
Always make sure the camera mount is facing down. If you do get dust on the sensor, you should be able to blow it off in the same fashion, just make sure the mirror is in the up position.
Having said that, risk is at it's greatest when the mirror is in the up position, just don't move the bellows while the mirror is up.

BTW Lance, Camera and Studio Accessories was a better place for this thread.
07-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use bellows with K10D and am not too concerned about dust and have not had a problem either. The key, in my opinion, is to start off with a bellows in good clean condition and keep it that way by religious use of end caps and avoidance of dusty environments. As for pumping air...consider the volume of air that moves when using your average macro lens or super zoom.

Steve
07-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Dust happens. One thing I have noticed is that if I have the camera set to dust removal on start-up, it seems to keep the sensor cleaner.
I have a pretty lax attitude towards sensor cleaning, I use canned air, which is shunned by most people since it is not really air, per se.
Anyway, shoot with a bellows, it is a lot of fun, and learn how to clean your sensor, doing it is nothing to be afraid of.

07-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been making extensive use of a bellows recently and using and adjusting them with the mirror up / shutter open (live view is invaluable for setting up bellows macro shots). If there is any dust in the bellows which by the pumping effect makes its way to the sensor, then it will be cleane and dry dust which will come off easily with a rocket blower / canned air. The only dust which can cause a problems is damp / sticky dust which must be wiped of the sensor and this will generally only get in if you are particularly careless.
07-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I appreciate the information. I no longer fear the dust.

I keep my bellows clean. However I do not have lens caps on them. I will now.

I'll go fully extend the bellows and blow them out with my oil-less air compressor (made for an air brush).

Now the next two steps:
1) Learn to focus on THAT screen
2) Learn the metering

Any thoughts on that?

I look forward to the immediate feedback on the viewing screen!

Thanks again! I'll post my first attempts later in the week.
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You will get immediate feedback after taking pictures but I don't believe the K10D has live view. Meter in Av and stop down / close the aperture manually. Camera does all the metering work but exposure compensation may be necessary.