Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Need to learn how to use my AF 540.. help!

Looking for a website that will tell me exactly how to use the 540 in detail, what everything on the back means / does, etc. If anyone knows where to find this please point me in the right direction!! thanks tons

rollin

07-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wouldn't reading the manual accomplish the same thing?
07-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To the best of my knowledge there is no web site telling how to use a given make of camera let alone a flash unit. The closest I have heard that is only for camera is the Magic Lantern Guide books and they are not on the web as a site.

Modern flash units have gotten as complicated as old film cameras use to be. DSLRs are only more complicated because they have so many more bells and whistles. The manuals that come with both flash/cameras give accurate, if obtuse and nearly incomprehensible, information on how to use the equipment. A DSLR has only 2 basic settings, shutter speed and ISO (although they have many more tools that can also be used). A lens adds 2 more, focal length and aperture. The photographer adds where to point, what to focus on and when to shoot. Just these relatively few settings gives the near infinite world of the art and science of photography. The manuals are adequate at telling how to set a setting but really fall down on why to use a setting. This is why some come to a forum like this looking for that information.

Adding flash to a camera is like raising a camera to the square of the camera. Each step is simple but the possibilities are endless and the complexities enormous. This is why some get lost in photography and some never go on to using flash.

Photography is something you can spend a lifetime learning and never master it all.

DAZ
07-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't have the manual, I'd suggest getting one as it does explain things reasonably well...

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Web_AF540FGZ_Eng.pdf
http://www.pentaxslr.com/flashes/flash_540

07-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
To the best of my knowledge there is no web site telling how to use a given make of camera let alone a flash unit. The closest I have heard that is only for camera is the Magic Lantern Guide books and they are not on the web as a site.

Modern flash units have gotten as complicated as old film cameras use to be. DSLRs are only more complicated because they have so many more bells and whistles. The manuals that come with both flash/cameras give accurate, if obtuse and nearly incomprehensible, information on how to use the equipment. A DSLR has only 2 basic settings, shutter speed and ISO (although they have many more tools that can also be used). A lens adds 2 more, focal length and aperture. The photographer adds where to point, what to focus on and when to shoot. Just these relatively few settings gives the near infinite world of the art and science of photography. The manuals are adequate at telling how to set a setting but really fall down on why to use a setting. This is why some come to a forum like this looking for that information.

Adding flash to a camera is like raising a camera to the square of the camera. Each step is simple but the possibilities are endless and the complexities enormous. This is why some get lost in photography and some never go on to using flash.

Photography is something you can spend a lifetime learning and never master it all.

DAZ
Wow, I couldnt have said it better myself! I do have the manual, but like Daz put it, not so straightforward. Henry's puts on courses, but they only come by once in a while and if your not there, like i wasn't last weekend, you miss it! I guess I'll keep playing with it and see what "develops"!!!

rollin
07-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Each step is simple but the possibilities are endless and the complexities enormous. This is why some get lost in photography and some never go on to using flash.
DAZ
ive been intimidated by learning flash photography for a while but after reading strobist enough and even just using the pop up as daytime fill, i really want to learn it. Just took the plunge and ordered a sigma ef500 super for my birthday along with a 3ft coiled ttl cord and im super excited to start playing with the flash and then check out the instructions in a few days
07-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawn doe Quote
ive been intimidated by learning flash photography for a while but after reading strobist enough and even just using the pop up as daytime fill, i really want to learn it. Just took the plunge and ordered a sigma ef500 super for my birthday along with a 3ft coiled ttl cord and im super excited to start playing with the flash and then check out the instructions in a few days

Yes that is what I am talking about. What is the worst that is going to happen? You spend a little money, make a lot of mistakes and flash your self in the eyes. The money is not that much. The mistakes are how to learn. As for the flashing your self in the eyes, well the spots will eventually go away. Then one day you will get a photo that you will look at a say “I did that?”, followed by “I did that!”. Then you will be hooked and then the addiction starts.

DAZ