Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ball Head - Quick Release Essential?

I'm looking at this ball head - Giottos MH1201
It looks good, but no quick release. This is for occasional use - with only a few lenses.

Legs:

Giottos | MH-1301 Pro Series II Ballhead with | MH1301-300C

Or

Slik Pro 700DX (on sale for $80)

I'd appreciate opinions and suggestion - have to order this very soon!

07-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I own the MH-1301 with Arca-Swiss style QR and have often thought that the screw-on version might be lighter and more handy in many situations. It is also $45 less expensive. I have used the screw-on type platform with a ball head before and they work pretty slick. Just release the ball, cant the head over to the vertical position, grasp the camera firmly, and rotate the platform to unscrew. Another plus is that you can mount multiple bodies without having to buy a bunch of plates ($10 - $30+ each).

As far as advantages to the QR type, consider my shooting scenario from a few days ago...

I was in a local demonstration garden doing some test shots with both a Helios 44M 58/2 and Jupiter-9 85/2. I was moving from subject to subject as well as changing off the lenses frequently. The QR allowed me to remove the camera easily when adjusting the tripod height as well as for when I needed to change lenses (a real pain with the M42 screw mount). The screw-on platform would have worked, but it is just a little more time consuming.

It might be good to note that the platforms are user-changeable. If you decide to get the QR platform, you can do so at a later date for about $60.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/490030-REG/Giottos_MH656_MH_656_Quick_..._Assembly.html

Steve

(BTW...the MH-1301 is a great value in a ball head...Ditto for the Slik Pro 700 DX legs)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-26-2009 at 10:13 PM.
07-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you hike (or walk with the camera/tripod on you shoulder) ....but have an urge to bang off a few handheld shots for some reason.....the quick release is the way to go.....
It depends on how you will use your camera/tripod.....
07-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've gone from screw on to quick release and personally wouldn't go back.
The convenience of the quick release plate is worth it.
I do use the tripod reasonably often, though.

07-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

To the OP: a quick-release of any type will make your life a lot easier and make the tripod and ball-head a pleasure to use. The plate should add very little weight to your camera, and stay screwed into the camera base pretty much all the time. Nicer QR systems have plates without sharp corners or edges so they don't catch on clothes while carrying the camera around...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(BTW...the MH-1301 is a great value in a ball head...Ditto for the Slik Pro 700 DX legs)
To Steve: since I'm in the market for a new ball-head with Arca-clamp, how smooth is the movement of the Giottos with the camera mounted and the tension just slightly off of locked? I'm looking for something I can reposition by hand and have it stay there without locking/ unlocking the whole ball each time. Thanks!
07-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

To Steve: since I'm in the market for a new ball-head with Arca-clamp, how smooth is the movement of the Giottos with the camera mounted and the tension just slightly off of locked? I'm looking for something I can reposition by hand and have it stay there without locking/ unlocking the whole ball each time. Thanks!
The movement on the Giottos is very smooth. There is a separate tension adjust and the ball lock comes on gradually so it is possible to do fine adjustment with the ball "almost" locked.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-27-2009 at 10:17 AM.
07-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A head without QR can be nice to have around if you don't keep plates on your cameras: I keep an old tripod in the car which has no QR, and my monopod has none, either, so I just put my Arca plates on whatever I'm using if I plan to be using my big tripod.

So, they can have a place. Arca plates are usually a bit slower to attach and detach than the Bogen type, but they're nice and solid and simple, and these are things I like. You can always add clamps for them to other things later.

07-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
I'm looking at this ball head - Giottos MH1201
It looks good, but no quick release. This is for occasional use - with only a few lenses.

Legs:

Giottos | MH-1301 Pro Series II Ballhead with | MH1301-300C

Or

Slik Pro 700DX (on sale for $80)

I'd appreciate opinions and suggestion - have to order this very soon!

Thanks for the help and suggestions! My link was wrong for the legs. Should have been to 700DX.
I just place the order. Got the following:

Slik PRO POD 381 CARBON FIBER MONOPOD - SLPP381CF $99.95

Slik 700DX PRO TRIPOD BLK(LEG ASSEMBLY ONLY - SL700DXLAB $79.95 (after instant $20 rebate )

Giottos MH1301-300C BALL HEAD w/CAMERA MOUNT - H1301300C $99.95

I'll use the ball head with the monopod for now, since it will be one or the other.
07-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The movement on the Giottos is very smooth. There is a separate tension adjust and the ball lock comes on gradually so it is possible to do fine adjustment with the ball "almost" locked.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. My old Manfrotto 488 has no "tension," only locked/ unlocked, and I tried a Markins once... really nice, but really expensive for how much I'd use it. I think the 60mm ball in the 1301 will hold my gear nicely.