Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 02:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trigger voltage for K100D

Hi guys

I am new to this site and could do with a few pointers for a newbie regarding flashguns...

What would be the maximum allowed trigger voltage for a K100D? Does anyone know? I have done a search on here and the answer seems to be quite vague. Its not in the manual for the camera and others don't seem to have a spot on figure. The consensus of opinion seems to be "around" 30V. Is this the case?

I am looking to get an older flash gun to try a bit of off camera flash work (I intend to buy a cheap remote trigger), so that shouldn't be a problem. But if I decide to use the flash ON the camera, it would be nice to know if I am going to blow the camera up or not! lol! I have been using my K100D to pretty good effect of over the past couple of years but have resisted the flash route, but now I want to try something different. I hope you can all help!

Thanks in advance

Cheers guys

John

07-28-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum, John.

I posted the same question about a year ago and was told the trigger voltage is "about" 25V for Pentax DSLRs. I had an old Incablitz flash given to me and wanted to try it, but after reading a bit more I decided to sit on it. All the camera shop technicians I've asked have said it's OK to use the flash, but it could be a very expensive mistake if they're wrong. I'll follow your thread with great interest. Any idea how you test the voltage of a flash unit?
07-28-2009, 03:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Wombat

No, not got a clue how to test the voltage of the unit, although on other forums and sites I have seen people test them with voltmeters and similar gadgets. I am not an electrician, so wouldn't know where to start with this! But it seems like its quite a popular way of going about things.

As for the voltage the camera can take, your ballpark figure is pretty similar to the one I have seen bandied about in various places. I have options on a couple of older flashes, so need to know both the camera capability and the flash voltage and can't seem to get any info on either! I am hopefully primarily going to be using it off camera anyway, but I just want to know if I have the option of blowing the camera to bits!

Keep looking, cos I will be! Hope the thread comes up with something and answers your question!

Cheers
07-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnnyboy114 Quote
What would be the maximum allowed trigger voltage for a K100D?
Appears to be <= 30V for Pentax DSLRs.
Note that the camera may survive higher voltages a couple of times but not indefinitely often.

A trigger voltage of <= 5V is definitely super safe as all Pentax flashes are within in this range.

There are several ways to completely avoid any risk or use high trigger voltage flash monsters: Use a Wein hot shoe adapter or use a radio trigger such as the Cactus V4. The latter has the added advantage that you will move the flash away from the camera, either with a flash bracket, your other hand, stand, or assistant.

To measure the trigger voltage of a flash make sure you use fresh batteries and a digital voltage meter (analogue ones may give you a false reading). Let the flash completely charge and then simply measure the voltage between the hot shoe contacts.

Since you are a K100D user, you may be interested in this "tips and tricks" article.

07-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Appears to be <= 30V for Pentax DSLRs.
Note that the camera may survive higher voltages a couple of times but not indefinitely often.

A trigger voltage of <= 5V is definitely super safe as all Pentax flashes are within in this range.

There are several ways to completely avoid any risk or use high trigger voltage flash monsters: Use a Wein hot shoe adapter or use a radio trigger such as the Cactus V4. The latter has the added advantage that you will move the flash away from the camera, either with a flash bracket, your other hand, stand, or assistant.

To measure the trigger voltage of a flash make sure you use fresh batteries and a digital voltage meter (analogue ones may give you a false reading). Let the flash completely charge and then simply measure the voltage between the hot shoe contacts.

Since you are a K100D user, you may be interested in this "tips and tricks" article.
Thats fantastic information Class A! Nice one and MUCH appreciated! Will check on that and seems simple enough to measure. The radio trigger was going to be the way I was going to go mainly anyway and you have given me a couple of names I hadn't heard about. I shall check them out and check out the tricks and tips!

Thanks again and MUCH appreciated!
07-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you have a flash that you are looking at buying, you can check the voltage here: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Dave! Very useful!