Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking for a printer

Dunno if this has been discussed at any length on here so please chime in. I currently have an HP6980, but I am thinking that I want a dedicated printer for photographs. What criteria should I be looking for. What are the most popular ones, best performing. What prices am I looking at. Do they go over 8.5x11?

05-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What's your budget?
Epson has a few, this one prints 11"x14" for about $550.00. There's a $50.00 mail in rebate as well.

Epson Stylus Photo R1800, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

I imagine that there are several other companies out there as well.

I just use a HP Laser printer for my own stuff. When I'm doing work for others I just pay the developers.
05-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The R1800 is old technology, and even though I own one and am very pleased with it. The latest version is the 1400. It is priced at 399.00 and does the same 13 x 19 print. The R380 (I believe) is the equivalent version for 8.5 x 11 and runs about 130.00. If you seldom do the big prints go for the smaller printer. The smaller footprint is much more managable in a home computer environment
I strongly recommend the Epson brand over any others out there, but I am sure there are others just as dedicated to the HP's and Canons. :-)

Walt
05-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so they can get a little pricey. I dont really have a budget but dont think I wanna spend north of $500 for a printer, I think I would like to print out an 8"x10" and for anything bigger get it prof printed.

05-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What is you main criteria (or rank them) that can help narrow down the field. The criteria I was thinking off is :

1. Quality
2. Speed
3. Ink Costs (ie: cost per print)
4. Price (you already indicated $500.00 so that is done)
5. Foot Print (any restrictions on size)
6. Features (Direct Printing from card / camera, LCD panel, editiing and crop abilites)
7. Sperate Blak cartridge (recommended)
8. Warrenty / Brand Preference

Just a few
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so that is a big push for Epson, any others, I thought Canon was top dog.
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Canon does make some good printers - based on reviews (no personal experience) Canon PIXMA Pro9000 - looks promising on the upper end of you budget .. ($499 ish)

05-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #8

Once I look into priniting from home, and found that the cost of the printer and inks just didn't add up compared to my local photo shop. I went to them and asked about an on going priniting, which they were happy in heavly discounting the cost. I feel that I have saved money over the past 12 months.

I know some people like to print at home, but the above suits me. Just go and talk to your local photo shop.
05-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
What is you main criteria (or rank them) that can help narrow down the field. The criteria I was thinking off is :

1. Quality
2. Speed
3. Ink Costs (ie: cost per print)
4. Price (you already indicated $500.00 so that is done)
5. Foot Print (any restrictions on size)
6. Features (Direct Printing from card / camera, LCD panel, editiing and crop abilites)
7. Sperate Blak cartridge (recommended)
8. Warrenty / Brand Preference

Just a few
I think the most important thing would be quality. I think what I am looking for is a very high quality printer for up to 8x10. I want to be able to print stuff to keep but Iwant one that i can also do some test prints with because I am leary that what I am seeing on my screen wont be equally represented when I go to print. So I dont want to take an image to a pro printer and not get back what I thought I was going to get. So I want to print a 4x6 proof, love it or fix it and then take it to the print shop and have them reproduce the larger version with the same results.

After that I have no pref to manufacturer, speed or cost. Everything else is just gravy.
05-10-2007, 02:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It seems we have an Epson crowd here. I'll put a word in for Canon. I've owned 2. I had an old S820 for about 3 years. It did very well. I replaced it last December with a Pro9000. It does an exceptional job.

Differences between Canon and Epson:

Canon uses dye based inks, Epson uses pigment based.
Pigment inks last longer (100+years). That being said, I've several Canon prints hanging on my walls. some in direct sunlight, and none have faded, so far.

The pigment inks tend to clog the print heads, if the printer is turned off for extended periods. The cleaning routines use a lot of ink. I've never had a clogged print head on either Canons.

The other thing I like is the individual ink tanks per color. It is much more economical than the multi color tanks HP uses. I believe Epson also uses indivdual tanks.

In the end, all 3 make really good printers. You need to shop and compare each brands offering in your budget range. All 3 offer really good 8.5x11 photo printers for between US$100.00 and US$200.00.
05-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

i'm a canon printer person also. using my 4th. it'll only do upto 8.5 x 11 but the result is i can't tell the difference in it and a lab print. it's a canon IP6000D, six color. all of canon's higher end printers in this format are great.
05-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Epson makes IMHO the best as far as photo quality goes...
but remember, don't forget that the ink prices are also a huge factor in the decision (this is why I quit printing my own and get them done at Cosco)
price the ink cartriges.... the 3rd party cheap ones will not give high quality results and might just damage your printer
Also with the Epson printers, the jets are very fine so you have to use it a fair amount or you are going to waist a lot of ink cleaning the jets (the process uses ink to do it)
You should print at least something every day or they get clogged easily... at least that is my experence from my 820 photo printer
don't forget to price in the cost of good paper as well.... the greatest printer is not worth a darn if you don't use high quality paper and inks

just some food for thought

cheers

randy
05-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I used a Canon S800 from 2001 until this past December. I wanted to upgrade and hummed and hawed with the Epson 2400 and the Canon pro 9000.

I felt the Epson had better ratings for B&W printing, so went for that one.

It does a very good job, colour and B&W, but only if you calibrate. If you don't ypou'll eat up paper and ink trying to get a good match.

I find my Canon costs were about $4.00-4.50 per 8x10 page, which is not much more than Futureshop etc labs.

The longevity issue was another resaon to upgrade. The Canon inks were rated for 10 years or so, and the new Pigment inks K3 form Epson are rated at 100 years.

Not that i'll be around to see that.

Get your profiles and papaer to match and either brand should do you fine.

Dave B
05-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pigment inks have another advantage. The slightest bit of moisture doesn't make the colors run. Many Epsons also have the ability to print longer than 14" so you can do panoramas. Have an HP now will probably get Epson next. Unless that Canon 12 color printer improves.
thanks
barondla
05-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good points on the inks and the longevity of it all. I also never really gave thought to the TCO. Do they make laser photo printers I wonder... is that more cost affective for me since i dont plan on printng something every day, let alone week/month.