Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Gossen Incident Meter?

I have an old CDS powered Gossen Luna-Pro reflected/incident meter I've recently had recalibrated & adjusted to meter correctly with modern 1.5 volt batteries. I've been using it out in the field for reflected light readings. Before I invest in an incident meter, I'd like to know if my Gossen would be accurate enough to use as an incident meter as well, both out in the field &/or indoors. What would be the downside to this approach, as opposed to obtaining a dedicated traditional Sekonic incident meter, for example?

Last edited by raymeedc; 07-30-2009 at 05:22 AM.
07-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I presume you have the incident dome available for your Gossen. Why not go out and see if it's accurate enough. I don't think anyone can realistically tell you any more than that since your post is pretty detail sparse.
07-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have an ancient luna pro F that I like and use when needed. Only downsides are you need two hands to adjust the needle position compared to a digital one and you have to read the smallish labels on the dial.
07-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I have the incident dome, & don't mind the analog readout (in fact I prefer it). & while it's true that I can check out the accuracy for myself, the reason I've posted this question is that whenever I see or hear of someone taking incident readings, it never seems to be with a dual purpose meter, even such a highly regarded instrument as the one I posses..... it invariably seems to be a Sekonic dedicated incident meter, & I was wondering if anyone could give me a reason for this.

07-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Yes, I have the incident dome, & don't mind the analog readout (in fact I prefer it). & while it's true that I can check out the accuracy for myself, the reason I've posted this question is that whenever I see or hear of someone taking incident readings, it never seems to be with a dual purpose meter, even such a highly regarded instrument as the one I posses..... it invariably seems to be a Sekonic dedicated incident meter, & I was wondering if anyone could give me a reason for this.
I expect it has more to do with people's tendency to use spotmeters or else wanting to meter from the camera. With an incident meter, you really should be metering "at the subject", though if the light is the same at the camera position there isn't any compelling reason to do so.
One think I am finding curious is the number of Pentax users who have decided that separate meters are the way to go with DLSR cameras. I never hear the Nikon or Canon users talking about handheld meters.
07-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I expect it has more to do with people's tendency to use spotmeters or else wanting to meter from the camera. With an incident meter, you really should be metering "at the subject", though if the light is the same at the camera position there isn't any compelling reason to do so.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all how this relates to the questions I posed.
07-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One think I am finding curious is the number of Pentax users who have decided that separate meters are the way to go with DLSR cameras. I never hear the Nikon or Canon users talking about handheld meters.
I'm one of those people. I can't speak for others, but the reason I use handheld meters is the fact that I shoot exclusively with manual Pentax P/K & Takumar M42 screwmount lenses. Metering with these lenses on Pentax DSLRs leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of getting an approximate reading from the cameras meter & fiddling around with exposure compensation & histogram displays to tweak it in, I find it quicker & less trouble to use hand held meters. I don't suppose Nikon & Canon users encounter these problems as much as Pentax users, as, because their cameras lack the unique backwards compatibility features of our cameras, they don't have as many users shooting with old manual lenses.

07-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think, as well as factors others have mentioned, there's a tendency among those who use a dedicated meter to want to specialize: often people will go for either the spot-meter or something optimized for incident and flash metering with the nice big dome and swivelley head or some such. Luna-pros are a highly-respected 'does-all' meters but the general direct readings those are most-laid-out-for are the type most redundant with built-in meters if you do have one, which is common. The built in ones in your DSLR will often actually be superior for general direct readings, too.

Usually when I carry a hand meter, it's cause I have a meterless camera with me, though if it's on me, anyway, readings do get taken in general.
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO an incident meter is overkill and unnecessary for general photography. Roll film is cheap enough to bracket if there's any doubt.
Except for the trickiest lighting I invariably found my incident readings were identical to intelligently metered reflected light readings.

Chris
07-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm one of those people. I can't speak for others, but the reason I use handheld meters is the fact that I shoot exclusively with manual Pentax P/K & Takumar M42 screwmount lenses. Metering with these lenses on Pentax DSLRs leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of getting an approximate reading from the cameras meter & fiddling around with exposure compensation & histogram displays to tweak it in, I find it quicker & less trouble to use hand held meters. I don't suppose Nikon & Canon users encounter these problems as much as Pentax users, as, because their cameras lack the unique backwards compatibility features of our cameras, they don't have as many users shooting with old manual lenses.
Fair enough. I'm pretty much done with non A series lenses so I don't have much experience with them on the DSLRs. The only time now that I have a non A lens on the camera is if there is a bellows between it and the body.
07-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all how this relates to the questions I posed.
I'm sorry about that.
07-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still don't understand what this has to do with Gooshin (....joking joking)
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's probably more about the situation. For studio usage, I see Canon/Nikon users using meters as well...just makes stuff like setting lighting ratios easier (you can chimp, but you'll invariably see wacky results when you look at the images on a large screen...I've tried )
07-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
It's probably more about the situation. For studio usage, I see Canon/Nikon users using meters as well...just makes stuff like setting lighting ratios easier (you can chimp, but you'll invariably see wacky results when you look at the images on a large screen...I've tried )
I still use a flash meter in the studio, but I didn't get the feeling that this was the context of which the OP was speaking.
07-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

...the reason I've posted this question is that whenever I see or hear of someone taking incident readings, it never seems to be with a dual purpose meter, even such a highly regarded instrument as the one I posses..... it invariably seems to be a Sekonic dedicated incident meter...
Interesting observation. I've never noticed this.

Indeed, I notice the reverse: when someone talks about measuring reflective light, it never seems to be with a dual-purpose meter, but a dedicated spot meter. I (who don't know much about light meters) thought that because most dual-purpose meters couldn't act as a spot meter because they have large FOV.

I've been using a dual-purpose Minolta IV F with a 5 degree viewfinder. Sometimes I wish I had a 1 degree spot meter, but in terms of accuracy, I can't complain about the Minolta.