Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shoulder bags

There should really be a sticky about bags.

I'm looking for a shoulder bag to carry my kit around, the bag needs to have a very large capacity. I'm going on a long trip, and I'm taking 2 film bodies, 5-6 film lenses (the lenses are quite small and I could probably fit 2 in the space of 1), maybe a digital body, maybe a flash gun, and some small accessories and film. I know that's quite abit of kit, and I probably won't carry it all around. I've been thinking about the Crumpler Muffin Top 7500, which I believe is similar to the top Crumple MDH.

I'd really appreciate it if people could tell me of bags that fit my criteria, they don't have to have owned it or tried it, just tell me the make and model so I can research it, but personal opinions of any bags would be welcome.

Oliver.

08-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW. (they also make a 300AW which i have not seen). I think it would carry all your small lenses, 2 small film bodies, and a flash. The nice thing about it is that there is only 2 compartments, a triangular one at the top, and the large one down below, so you can easily sort through it all to find stuff, and i forgot, there is another zip pocket on the back for smaller accessories. I like the sling type bags if i'm walking in and out of stores and restaurants, since its easy to take on or off, and enables some access while standing.

For a heavier carry, the backpacking type shoulder bag you are talking about, i think, i have a Tamrac Digital 5375 (sorry, couldn't find the product name on the bag, just the 5375) I had to have this bag to carry a 300mm f4 lens, and this bag could carry all your stuff. comfortable shoulder straps for heavy loads.

Both bags have auxiliary straps that snap across your chest so that if you're doin some serious hiking, the bag won't droop out of position or flip over your head if you're bending over. Both bags have quality padding for your gear and some flexibility in internal arrangement.

best wishes, Phil
08-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've got what they call the Crumpler 750 (Sevenfifty) Daily XXL, quite easy de-badged, had it since last May (defected from Lowe Pro after 25 years), used every day and it's working just great.

Huge, carries two bodies with fast (therefore biggish) lenses still attached, plus four other lenses. The only problem I have with it, is getting it off the floor when you carry this much kit about with you.

I should mention that it has the loudest velcro on the planet, nobody gets in there without me knowing it.
08-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha, I have a Crumpler bag too, and you are SO right about that Velcro! I have an older one, but it's not the largest, and I can still fit the following in there:

1 K200D w/ DA* 200 attached
1 DA* 50-135
1 FA 12-24
1 film camera (I have an MZ-5N) with a smallish lens attached (FA 43-ish)
DA 70 + FA 31 on top of each other
540 flash on top of it all

film, batteries, SD card case in zipper compartment inside flap
umbrella in side pocket
toothbrush and toothpaste in other side pocket

Yep, when I moved to Germany, this is exactly what my camera bag had inside

08-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
There should really be a sticky about bags.
I don't think it would work Oliver. We have stickys for flash and tripods and the same questions get raised in new threads. There are even more options for bags.
At least with bags, if you can find a camera store, they should have a good selection of bags for you to try.
08-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I will throw another hat in the ring. I just got a kata 3n1-30. I can fit everything (yes, everything - not that I would want to, too heavy!) listed in my signature, and that is just in the camera/lens section, leaving a top section for a small jacket, snacks or whatever else. It is billed as a sling but the 30 size really is a backpack. The shoulder strap and bag configuration can be made for right or left handed people, having double straps which can also be worn together in an X configuration, or a traditional backpack. So far it is great!
08-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I don't think it would work Oliver. We have stickys for flash and tripods and the same questions get raised in new threads. There are even more options for bags.
At least with bags, if you can find a camera store, they should have a good selection of bags for you to try.
yeah, next to straight LBA bags are right at the top for secret obsessions, might as well let the threads go, that is what the search function is for!

08-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
yeah, next to straight LBA bags are right at the top for secret obsessions, might as well let the threads go, that is what the search function is for!

You may very well be one of the few members that are aware of the search function.
08-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a look at the Domke F1 and F2 bags (and the entire Domke line) at:

http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=domke

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-01-2009 at 06:05 PM.
08-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #10

Cosmo,

Check the Adorama or B&H websites for what's available. This should help you narrow the choices down.
08-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't believe I didn't include this link!

CAMBAGS.COM Camera Bag Review Resource for DSLR Cameras

You can see for yourself how the different bags available hold different amounts of gear.
08-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #12

I would seriously suggest that three bodies, six lenses, flash plus accessories is too heavy to comfortably carry in a shoulder bag. For the sake of your spine, please consider a proper backpack that will evenly distribute the weight. I've learned this the hard way.
08-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I am very partial to Domke bags.
I have the F6, F3X and F5. Each one has its typical load and I sometime change one of the insert to adjust that.
I do not like to "stuff" a bag I rather like to have everything in its spot and a spot for everything.

F6:
1 film body, 3 Ltd, spotmeter, filters or
2 digital bodies lenses on, 3 Ltd, filters, extra battery, card

F3
1/2 film bodies, 5 K lenses, spotmeter (side) incident meter/flash (side)

F5
1 body with lens on/another lens or spotmeter

I also have the F7 which I use to "move" everything as it can carry more gear than my back can handle. I am going to sell this bag as with age I like smaller lenses rather than larger.

I also have a small Roots backpack that handle perfectly two K20D with 50-135 and 16-50 mounted, filters,... and a tripod hooked underneath.
This is very very compact but weight a ton.

I am looking at buying the Domke tripod bag except that shipping from the States is a killer

If I could try it and I did not have already all these bags, I would go for the Domke backpack based on the F3.

BTW I hope that you realize that you will never find the bag that fully satisfied you. You will always have to try another one

Cheers,

Luc
08-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You may very well be one of the few members that are aware of the search function.
I am a desk jockey investigator, so searching is kind of second nature On another note, way to beat me to that 24-60. I kicked myself when I sold my fisheye, only to buy it again. The 24-60 is another lens that should never have left my bag. Of course, it isnt so easily replaced these days :ugh: It was beyond a steal when it was being cleared out (cant remember by who, cameta maybe?), now when I see them popping up under $200, it is pretty unbelievable.