Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Best (Most Reliable) SD Card

Hi,

I was wondering what the best SD card brand is. I bought a cheap one and it died on me. Also, does the speed of the card matter?

05-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #2

Hi Henry,

I'm sure that your question will get a lot of replies from the more experienced members of the forum. What I have found though is that you tend to get what you pay for. To me Sandisk, Kingston and Lexar are the ones that I trust and use, they are all reliable and you can usually find at least one of the brands having a sale on them.

As for speed, it is very important to have a fast card. The faster the card, the faster the transfer of the image from the camera to the card. I try to get cards that have at least a 10MB per/sec write speed. I've also found for PS cameras that faster cards improve their performance as well.

Hope this helps
05-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Lexar or SanDisk and, yes, the card speed DOES matter! I'm using SanDisk Extreme III SDHC cards and the write speeds compared to a couple of "off brands" I own are about 10X faster!
Rob W
05-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have tried a couple other brands lately and had mixed success. I keep coming back to the Sandisk Ultra II cards. I am sure that the Extreme III are faster, but so far I have not needed the extra speed. I almost never use continuous shooting mode. I have six 2 gb Ultra II SD cards and five 1 gb. I also had four 1gb Ultra II CF cards with my *istD. Never had a problem with a single one of them. Right now the Costco about 10 blocks from my house has the 2 gb Ultra II SD cards for $32.99. If they carried the Extreme III for as comparable a deal I would probably own them instead. Either way, Sandisk has been very reliable for me.

05-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have been using a Kingston Class 6 4GB SDHC card with my K10D. I have had no data errors over several thousand images. I do not usually shot in continuous frames but when I have the K10D has never felt like it stalled while doing so using this card.

I also purchased this Kingston SDHC compatible card reader for consistency. It has worked with the Kingston SDHC card and several other regular standard SD brands. Sandisk, Dane-Elec and Panasonic. I do not have an offbrand SDHC card to try with the Kingston card reader so I do not know yet if it is cross compatible.

The Sandisk cards are very reliable. The Panasonic card I have has had no errors as well. The 2 Dane-Elec cards I have are their really low end cheap card. One Dane-Elec card did have errors right away but Dane-Elec replaced it without question. Since they have had no errors on still images but do not have enough juice to record P&S video.

It would be good to hear which Card readers are working for different SDHC brands. In my experience card readers have been a real crap shoot.

The prices on SDHC have plummeted. There is a Transcend Class 6 8GB for around $85 US now.
05-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Henry Scott Quote
I was wondering what the best SD card brand is. I bought a cheap one and it died on me. Also, does the speed of the card matter?
I don't know what the "best" card is, but I use Sandisk, Kingston and Panasonic cards and have never had a single problem. Any brand card can fail, but the cheap ones will have a higher failure rate.

Faster cards will allow faster writes in the camera, but the biggest advantage for me is download speed to the computer. A fast card with a good card reader will allow much faster transfers, and that is convenient when copying 2 or 4 GB of data. Definitely get at least a "high speed" card. I think a card like the Sandisk Ultra II is a reasonable compromise between speed and price. But if price is not an issue, get the fastest name-brand card you can find (and a fast card reader to go with it).
05-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #7

I also tend not to put total stock anymore in the card's stats, except as a ballpark figure. I've had cards from two different manufacturers that claimed different speeds (a difference of 50X) and I'm convinced the one with the slower designation was marginally faster, probably having to do with the programming of the card. While I don't doubt they both earned their ratings properly in the lab, the real world sometime proves a little different.

05-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi,

Do you have a K100 or K10? As for brands, I think all the "known" brands are okay and reliable enough. As for if speed *rating* matters, see my following test:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K100D SD Card Write Speed Test
05-12-2007, 03:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've always used the SanDisk Ultra II's. It's fast (enough) and cheap. I'd stick with a name brand. Just be aware of the many fake SanDisk cards being sold on eBay.
05-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed Toshi.
Am sick of being duped with ads appearing as if the genuine products are on sale, then buying them and receiving crap. Turned me off eBay somewhat. It's worth getting the real thing from the beginning than stuffing around picking up genuine wannabes hoping for the best. They just don't perform, speed and quality-wise.
05-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Known brands

I stick to Sandisk and Lexar. I havent used digital for a very long time but the people that I work with have used digital since the first cameras hit Europe.

A photographer that I work with had her first Lexar crash a few days ago, it was a five year old 256 lexar non-pro card that she had used in her studio since she bought it. She has always used lexar on Nikons, the pictures could easily be restored with image rescuing software. I'd go to B&H og Jessops and get a Sandisk or Lexar, you simply can not afford to loose that shot.
06-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Anything that isn't Centon.
06-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I know you'll read lots of Lexar, SanDisk and a few other names.

Another less famous brand I've had very good experience with is "Strontium". One advantage of the less known brand is less chance to get a counterfeit.
06-12-2017, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I only use Sandisk, never a problem.
06-19-2017, 04:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian

When it comes to cards, buy from from a reliable store to ensure you are getting what you paid for. Forget ebay no matter how tempting the price.