Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #1

P-TTL problem with istd??

i shoot nightlife photos, so i need something for very lowlight.

after not doing my reseach, i purchased a regular sunpak flash and realized it didn't help at all.
i read about the p-ttl system, so i invested in the Digital Concept 918AF. i needed a (cheap) flash to autofocus with an assist before i could shoot the picture-otherwise i can't see what i'm doing!

i read a great review of it on here-problem is, mine's not working! since i'm new to working with p-ttl, i'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong. i've tried p, tv, av, manual setting-no assist. the flash is fine in bright light, but does absolutely nothing in the dark.

is this a setting? or is possible the flash is defective?? or did ebay lie to me, and it's not even compatible with an istd???

08-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know much about the flash unit you mention.

But I know that ist-D does not have P-TTL. It's TTL. You may want to make sure the flash supports TTL.

Your description of the problem ("the flash is fine in bright light, but does absolutely nothing in the dark") does not sound related to P-TTL vs TTL, however.
08-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

But I know that ist-D does not have P-TTL. It's TTL. You may want to make sure the flash supports TTL.

Your description of the problem ("the flash is fine in bright light, but does absolutely nothing in the dark") does not sound related to P-TTL vs TTL, however.
*ist d does support p-ttl flashes from what i understand. p-ttl causes a flash before taking the picture so that the camera can see enough to focus. mine, however, is not doing this preflash-that's my problem

???
08-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yinzerparty Quote
*ist d does support p-ttl flashes
Sorry. My bad. As you said, *ist-D does support P-TTL.

QuoteOriginally posted by yinzerparty Quote
p-ttl causes a flash before taking the picture so that the camera can see enough to focus
The pre-flash strobe is for metering, not for focusing. The focus aid is the near-infrared pattern light output from a separate bulb.

08-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

actually, and the *istD and DS are the only two like this, they support both TTL and P-TTL

the way it works is as follows

if you have an A series lens, and a TTL only flash the *istD will automatically sense this and run in TTL mode (at least mine does this with the AF500FTZ)

If you have an A series lens and a P-TTL flash, it will run atomatically in P-TTL mode.

If you have a flash that supports both TTL and P-TTL like the AF 540 FGZ and a non A lens, then the camera and flash automatically switch to TTL.,

The flash capabilities of the *istD are one reason I have always kept it as a spare body
08-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
The pre-flash strobe is for metering, not for focusing. The focus aid is the near-infrared pattern light output from a separate bulb.
so this is where i think i get confused. the pre-flash is to determine how strong the flash should be for proper exposure?
i was hoping p-ttl would help me out with the low light i encounter going to concerts and venues. do you think it will help in that case?

either way-the flash doesn't work in anything but a bright room. i'm assuming it's defective, so i'll return it and see if another ones works.
08-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I found the istD flash control to be worse than useless, either TTL or pTTL. Just get yourself a good autoflash, Pentax flash control pretty much bites.