Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

a few images i've seen show the craziest catch lights. so for that, i will have to make one

you're using a pot saucer? what is that exactly and where'd you get it?

i know i'm asking so many questions but i've never seen a diy of this before just trying to wrap my head around it so i know what to buy to make this.

08-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'd say you've nailed your design. Classic beauty dish light distribution.

Mike
Thanks Mike! I was thinking what the heck, if it doesn't work I just put a sock cover on it and use it as softbox

QuoteOriginally posted by zenimagery Quote
a few images i've seen show the craziest catch lights. so for that, i will have to make one

you're using a pot saucer? what is that exactly and where'd you get it?

i know i'm asking so many questions but i've never seen a diy of this before just trying to wrap my head around it so i know what to buy to make this.

It is a 15" pot saucer I got it from Canadian Tire (Home Depot has it too). I am sure you can use a salad bowl, if the dish is deeper, the light should be more directional (however, you have to find the right point for the focal point of the light, that's where you put the reflective cone).

Then I find a CD pack case that laying around in my house ($0), get a White, Black (bond to plastic) spray paint in Canadian Tire ( they are about $5 each), some nuts and washer (30 cents each?)

Last edited by vizjerei; 08-13-2009 at 10:28 AM.
08-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

home depot didn't have any, both locations i checked. little weird. so i got the 14" & 20" from canadian tire. 14" seems a bit small, but if it works for you i'm sure it's good enough. also didn't have a small dvd spindle so got a 3 pack of food containers for $1 spray paint is what's really expensive though, about $15 for the two cans. eeeeee :/
08-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope I'm not to late to say... very nice!

08-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am also late, my humble thank you for sharing the information and creative process. You have a big admirer from California.

Warmest,
Hin
08-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
home depot didn't have any, both locations i checked. little weird. so i got the 14" & 20" from canadian tire. 14" seems a bit small, but if it works for you i'm sure it's good enough. also didn't have a small dvd spindle so got a 3 pack of food containers for $1 spray paint is what's really expensive though, about $15 for the two cans. eeeeee :/
I got mine in Canadian Tire, spray paint (the one say it bond to plastic) are $5 tax included, which made me want to get the silver paint at the time just to see if it will direct more light... but I learned something about spray paint tho, i got the wrong white paint ( I have got the white prime, after applied it has a strong paint smell which i have to put it in backyard and let the smell do its thing for a while. XD )

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I hope I'm not to late to say... very nice!

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am also late, my humble thank you for sharing the information and creative process. You have a big admirer from California.

Warmest,
Hin
Thank guys
08-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This is very slick and you've done a nice job building it. I've got to make one - although I know that I won't look any better

08-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am thinking how to build a grid for it XD I wonder if it will work if I just keep drill holes on a piece of black cardboard...
08-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Not sure about Canada but Walmart in the US sells a house brand of el cheapo spray paint that works fine for this sort of DIY...the paint costs 94¢/can...I am sure there is less paint in each can, but well...it's 94¢
08-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #25

Hey, nice and effective design I like it. I use off camera flash, umbrella, diffuser most of the time for portraits.

I am curious to know how far from the subject you can be, yet get the lighting effect.
08-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

ok, so i got to spray painting it and cutting the whole for the flash, but no progress since that haha i'm debating whether to use the tupperware i bought, or maybe 3 bolts with a piece of cardboard with reflective material attached, like the alienbees ones *scratches head*
08-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kibipod Quote
Hey, nice and effective design I like it. I use off camera flash, umbrella, diffuser most of the time for portraits.

I am curious to know how far from the subject you can be, yet get the lighting effect.
Mine go around 4 to 5 feet if set it to use full power, further away it start to look harder edge, maybe it is because my dish isn't big enough.

ok, so i got to spray painting it and cutting the whole for the flash, but no progress since that haha i'm debating whether to use the tupperware i bought, or maybe 3 bolts with a piece of cardboard with reflective material attached, like the alienbees ones *scratches head*
I don't know about the 3 bolts & cardboard design is good for flash light use, they are design for those tube light , which the light start out 360 degree in the middle of the dish, rather than flash head where light come from the flat surface. so if using the cardboard design it will make most of the light bounce back to the flash head directly. So I don't know.
08-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm gonna try to make one of these this week. Thanks for posting this, viz! Great work.
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #29

Bump because I think we can colsolidate DIY beauty dish designs.

I'm not sure I shared this here but it's a different design.

Mine does use a convex mirror but it is a mounted further from the flash to allow the light to spread and to change the distance from the flash. I think I'm using a much more rounded dish. Also the stand is a bit 'rickety' and could use some design tweaks.

f5.6 Iso100, 35mm, 1/6s

and the model shots...

My brother, very happy to be photographed

and someone sexier...

10-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #30
Red

Great project. Thanks for the ideas.

I used a $2 plastic bowl, a old DVD case, a $2 mirror and a $1 can of high gloss white spray paint.

I cut a hole in the bottom of the bowl big enough to fit the dvd case. I used the bottom piece I cut out to super glue to the top of the dvd case. Attached the mirror to that. Cut a hole in the base of the dvd case to insert my AF360fgz. Then I painted everything white.

Assembled dvd case.

Back of the bowl with the dvd case inserted

Front

Testing

Example

Took no time to make and I only spent $5.

Never used a dish before, how did I do?