Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #16

Ziplock large or X-large heavy duty plastic bags with handles. I don't use 'em for storage, but they'd work, with a desiccant.

09-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Military Surplus Ammo cans. Cost start at about $7 and go up from there. They come in different sizes and have a rubber gasket. If you purchase the same size they stack very nice. Add some desiccant packs and you are set. They may be a little ugly but they work.
Kaufeetime
09-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, that's another good option if you can find the ammo cans in good condition and the right sizes.
I wanted to update this thread regarding dessicant packs. I was using 2 40 gram metal packs and like ryan s they only last about a week for me in this dry box. I just ordered a 450 gram pack to replace the smaller ones.

cheers
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm selling a load of these ex NATO cases which are sealed, strong and some even come with the pressure release valves for aircraft holds ( like the Pelican cases )

It's easy enough to remove the foam and glue some new stuff in to suit your needs.

Look at local military surplus, there's some great stuff to be had cheaply.

Here's a link to an American site that has some interesting items.

Deutsche Optik;Optics and Military Collectibles:Binoculars, military binoculars, rangefinder, compass, nautical antiques, ships clocks, magnifiers, militaria, military watches, Optolyth, Ollech & Wajs, Sinn, pocket watch and military surplus

09-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those dry boxes work pretty well . We've been using them in the boat biz for years but they are most certainly not as sturdy or well sealed as Pelican , Underwater Kinetics etc.
Another "on the cheap " option as mentioned by Kaufeetime are millitary Ammo cans available for about $10.00 at most gun shows. These are extremely sturdy and air tight. While at the show there are usually vendors selling Large reusable dessicant packs for use in gun safes.

Last edited by seacapt; 09-29-2009 at 08:09 PM.
09-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I've had dry boxes for about 20 years, keep meds and cameras, spark plugs, spare prop, tools, compass, flashlight, mirror, first aid stuff, etc, in my 17 1/2 foot Freighter canoe.

They work.
10-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I'm selling a load of these ex NATO cases which are sealed, strong and some even come with the pressure release valves for aircraft holds ( like the Pelican cases )

It's easy enough to remove the foam and glue some new stuff in to suit your needs.

Look at local military surplus, there's some great stuff to be had cheaply.

Here's a link to an American site that has some interesting items.

Deutsche Optik;Optics and Military Collectibles:Binoculars, military binoculars, rangefinder, compass, nautical antiques, ships clocks, magnifiers, militaria, military watches, Optolyth, Ollech & Wajs, Sinn, pocket watch and military surplus
These are great. Are they cheap?

10-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

yeah, they're cheap. But they're in the UK.

I haven't got the foam for this box yet, but it will be my main camera case.
They are strong enough to park a Landrover on and waterproof, which for me is essential as my main hobby is off road motorsport.

I sell this size for £15 ( $24 )

But they are standard NATO boxes for optical equipment such as gun sights, so they could be available in the USA.