Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good dry box f/under $50 !

I need dry boxes for my gear because it's very humid where I live and my house doesn't have AC. I searched and searched, and almost pulled the trigger on a few occasions, but the typical options seemed overpriced for my needs. I just wanted a a sealed box to store my gear, not a case to ship or even carry.
I finally found this place: Dry Boxes
I ordered the "Spud7" model and it fits my needs well. The price was right, shipping was reasonable and they shipped quickly.
I can fit all my Pentax gear and more in it and have 2 reusable, large dessicant packs in it.

Highly recommended

08-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
They look great, sort of a Pelican case wannabe.
08-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
They look great, sort of a Pelican case wannabe.
Yeah, nowhere near Pelican quality, but again suits my purpose.

Here's a couple quick snaps, one with an FA50 for scale, the other showing my only issue so far. The label is crooked!

And hey! it's made in the USA. At least we can still make some of our own plastic stuff

Name:  imgp2954-cres.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  imgp2958-cres.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  83.7 KB

cheers
08-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It keeps the water OUT but it therefore must keep the humidity inside IN?

Still might get one (or maybe find and steal one of my dad's) for going on a boat...just stick the bag inside and go

08-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cloth bags with some rice inside will help with the moisture.
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

Still might get one (or maybe find and steal one of my dad's) for going on a boat...just stick the bag inside and go
this is what I was thinking as well. if the inside of your house is humid enough to warrant such a box, wouldn't using it to store equipment just lock moisture inside the box? that would be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungus would it not?
08-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
True, but the interior space is small compared to a room and is easily dried out by the desiccant.

Sticking a bag inside is a good idea. It's not submersible, but definitely splash proof and you can sit on it too

08-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Cloth bags with some rice inside will help with the moisture.
True and cheap. The desiccant packs I have are from an Ebay coin dealer, @2"x5" perforated metal with a little indicator window. When the window turns pink put them in the oven for a couple of hours to dry them out.

cheers
08-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this is what I was thinking as well. if the inside of your house is humid enough to warrant such a box, wouldn't using it to store equipment just lock moisture inside the box? that would be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungus would it not?
I put all my stuff in plain sight with plenty of circulation around em...aka on top of my speakers, media center, bookshelf, etc...so far so good, except for the dust flying around.
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
True, but the interior space is small compared to a room and is easily dried out by the desiccant.

Sticking a bag inside is a good idea. It's not submersible, but definitely splash proof and you can sit on it too
Yeah, the watertight box would be nice just in case the boat decides to stop floating
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
True and cheap. The desiccant packs I have are from an Ebay coin dealer, @2"x5" perforated metal with a little indicator window. When the window turns pink put them in the oven for a couple of hours to dry them out.

cheers
I have one of those, and it goes "pink" really fast...I mean like under a week. Granted, the box wasn't air/water tight but the concept is the same...every time it's opened, the desiccant is exposed to moisture.

Personally...I thought about getting something like this for things I don't use often or won't be using if on a trip, etc. Maybe have 2 boxes...one with stuff you use a lot, with 2 "tins" and then one used for storage with just one. Something like that
08-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #10

Steven, i too live in NC. Where I live it was 100 today. How do you survive August with no AC?
08-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
Steven, i too live in NC. Where I live it was 100 today. How do you survive August with no AC?
Yeah, very hot today. I live in the mountains, in the woods, so a little cooler here and shady. With ceiling fans it's only on the hottest of days that it gets uncomfortable inside.
It's a trade off though. Since my house is surrounded by big, old trees it's moist and moldy.
All my old Nikon film gear got moldy a few years ago when I wasn't paying enough attention
08-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've always wondered how these dryboxes work. I always see people talking about them, but I don't understand how they could keep things dry. Dryboxes just look like regular boxes to me unless it's built in some proofing material or designed to keep the flow of air out somehow. I have 3 re-usable packages of Adorama silica gel in my backpack and think this works good enough.
08-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Basically, it's a plastic box which is fairly impervious to the elements. Even grocery store plastic containers, think Tupperware, will seal out (and in) moisture.
In their simplist form, like this one, dry boxes typically have an o-ring seal and a tight fitting lid. More sophisticated ones like Pelican cases have more complex and thorough sealing and are submersible, shippable and even carry on-able.
This box cost us$35+7 shipping, a similar Pelican case is @$250.

pelican cases for laptops + camera cases + shipping containers from Pelican-Case.com

Last year I carried a new HD vid cam for work. It was packed in a new Pelican 1510 carry-on case. Now that's a sweet case and just big enough to carry a seroius kit. The one I carried, with cam and accessories, weighted over 20kg! Luckily it had a stout handle and wheels. When I finally arrived in Lisbon the customs folks opened and removed everything from the case, including the foam padding, and inspected every part. They even wanted to see the cam operate, so I had to break the seals on everything and power it up for them. That's the first time in my work travels I've been searched to that degree.

Last edited by StevenVH; 08-11-2009 at 06:48 AM.
08-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you get a drybox with silica gel in it, you might as well get a hygrometer to measure the amount of humidity or moisture in the box.
True dryboxes have this so as the box doesn't become too dry or too humid for whatever equipment you will store in it.
You can get a digital hygrometer with thermometer at walmart for $7.
The size of the device is small enough to put in the box, around 3" X 5" from how I eyeballed it as I plan on getting one too.
Thickness would be about an 1" or less.
08-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's the Hygrometer I'm talking about from Walmart if ever anyone is interested:
Walmart.com: Springfield Digital Indoor Thermometer with Hygrometer: Lawn & Garden
They also stock this in their hardware department together with the outdoor thermometers if you want to see it first hand.
Don't look for this in "Lawn and Garden" in their actual stores as it is in "Hardware".