Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
About the Tenba insert...

I have purchased last year a similar insert from eBay, 15$ shipped. It was perfect for me, got in my messenger bag perfectly, and let me carry all I wanted (my fast 50 goes in the "camera" section, I use a mid-heigth divider to hold the lens in place, and the lens mounted on the camera goes next to that). The insert lasted only a year, though, but I got a new one (same vendor) for 10$... Now that I know of the Tenba, if my insert ever gets damaged, I'll purchase the Tenba, it's not much more expensive.

I have also just purchased a Domke Digital SLR insert (that's its name) to go in my backpack when hiking. I'll get it next week and post pictures. It should alloe me to carry the camera with a lens, plus probably five other lenses/flashes. I'm really eager to get it, I think the backpack/messenger bag combo will get me through all shooting situations.

08-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Thanks, MacGirl, for the Timbuk2 Small Messg. ($60) + Tenba insert ($20) photo and description. I've been spending a good deal of time this week trying to find a messenger camera bag to take my K10D and lenses on vacation. I wanted a bag that didn't look too much like a camera bag, was weather resistant and that could serve other purposes given the cost. I went and tried on the small Timbuk2 and it felt pretty good and not too wide or deep. Normally, as a woman, carrying a bag cross body is a bit uncomfortable, but that was so with the Timbukt2.

My choice was between the Timbuk2/Tenba and the Tamrac Messenger 4, they are very similar in size and price. While the top handle and external pockets on the Tamrac were pluses, the versatility of the Timbuk2 won out. My husband thought he would break the clasp on Tamrac even though I liked it. Also, the quick release adjustment on the bag strap of the Timbuk2 makes passing the bag off to my (foot taller) husband a lot easier
08-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #18

I have a backpack, two laptop-messenger bags, a camera (shoulder) bag with compartments, and duffel bags of various sizes -- all of which are too large to lug around. I ended up buying an insulated lunch-bag from eddie bauer for under $10. It's 10"x6"x6", built fairly well (though the zippers could've been better), and holds all my gear -- k20d with the grip on, stacked da40 and da70, a flash, and a blower -- with room for more. The removable strap is longer than the k20d OEM strap, and can be worn messenger-style easily. I can custom-compatmentalize with all the packing material that I receieve from amazon shipments.

If I need to carry along my laptop, I ditch the lunch-bag and take a laptop bag instead. Give that most laptop/messenger bags are rather narrow -- usually 4" wide or so -- I need to remove the grip. The lenses, being as small as they are, go into mini tupperware containers -- yes, hard-plastic tupperware, strong enough to well protect your lens.