Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Chinese Focusing Screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Yep, its here! Ran into a bit of trouble as the seller disappeared on ebay (account with thousands of positive and a few dozen negative FBs was deactiavted for some reason) but my friend contacted him through email and the product was sent and eventually arrived safe and sound.

Total cost was about $42 CAN.

Came from:

Golden Tiger Int'l
3B No.35, 2518 Longhua Road
Shanghai, China

Package was pretty good. After all its just a piece of plastic right? It came in a plastic bag inside what looks like a big sized memory card case.

Pentax's default Natural bright-matte II (Left) and the Split Image (Right) Focusing screens.

(Note the orientation tabs on the bottom right edge of the screens)

If you've removed the screen before, its not hard. Its kinda hard to explain the procedure and its hard to actually sneak a digicam into the SLR to show you. With a knife or some small tool, gently pull the tab out towards the base of the mirror foam and the metal brace will fall down. With tweezers, grip the orientation tabs and pull the screen out.

Here's the screen swtiched...albeit a little messy. Watchout for the copper coloured piece, its really sharp. This goes on top of the screen. I scratched the left side of the screen by accident putting the piece back....ugh..lol.

(Out of Focus)

(In Focus)

Its been a few days and I can say everything works nicely. The photos I've taken are normally exposed...I think. Some people using the KatzEye branded screens reported requiring a +1.5EV comp. From the looks of my shots, I don't think its necessary with this one.

It does help with manual focus although it takes a little getting used to. I actually noticed myself being more jitterly and unstable because I was paying too much attention getting the split images aligned (in focus).

Overall, I think this screen is worth it, especially for those big on manual focus. Nostalgia is another biggie too!

Last edited by FotoPete; 05-14-2007 at 12:00 AM.
05-14-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice! Too bad he's not on Ebay any more. I was looking for a screen like this that unlike Catzeye would cost less than a lens. I even bought a split screen for Nikon film camera in irder to cut it to fit DS. Never really got arround to doing it.
05-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Pete,
Could please try using spot metering with this screen, and see if the metering is still good? That is where the Katzeye has problems.
05-14-2007, 02:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I got mine from this guy: eBay My World - waymyway

He appears to still be on eBay. I bought from him after reading here that Finn had also purchased his screen from him.

For opening the latch on the screen retainer, I found that a dental pick worked perfectly. It is long, slim, sturdy, and has a sturdy point at a 90 degree angle which is just right for popping the latch.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that some exposure correction is necessary. I already have it bumped to +1.5 due to using the Takumar lenses. The screen seemed to want another +1.0 bump....but it just ain't to be had. I decooupled the meter from the autofocus point, and that seems to have helped quite a bit.

05-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I would recomend the original Pentax *ist series focusing screens for the K10D. They are just plain matte screens - but they provide BETTER focusing feedback then the original screen AND they allow you to use non A (that is K and M) lenses on the K10D.

There has been lately 2 threads here discussing these (one of them mine).
05-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Hi Pete,
Could please try using spot metering with this screen, and see if the metering is still good? That is where the Katzeye has problems.
I have been always shooting center weighted. That was the default my camera came in. But yea, I do notice spot metering photos come up a bit darker than their centerweighted equivalents.
09-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Are these instructions the same for the istD

Would one be able to DIY with a screen from an SPII or an ME or ME Super. Is the screen in these camera plastic or glass???

Thanks

09-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
And I would recomend the original Pentax *ist series focusing screens for the K10D. They are just plain matte screens - but they provide BETTER focusing feedback then the original screen AND they allow you to use non A (that is K and M) lenses on the K10D.

There has been lately 2 threads here discussing these (one of them mine).
Hey there!
Do you have a seller in mind?
I am desperate about this!
I need a split focusing screen to hanfle focus properly with manual lenses on K10D
09-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Are these instructions the same for the istD

Would one be able to DIY with a screen from an SPII or an ME or ME Super. Is the screen in these camera plastic or glass???

Thanks
I'm not sure you can remove those screens and even if you do, you have to file them down precisely to the APS size. Gonna be hard to do without scratching/damaging the screen somehow. Better to just order one from ebay.