Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

? on Sunpak PT-1D and PT-2D module

I just acquired a Sunpak 555 handle mount flash.

It includes a dedicated couple cord EXT-11, but no module.

The (old) manual recommends PT-1D (651-046) module. But I have a feeling that the PT-2D also works and probably works better.

If you have either PT-1D or PT-2D with your Sunpak flash, please let me know the level of dedication between the flash and the K-series DSLRs. I'd like to know before placing an order for the module.

I realize that either module doesn't support P-TTL, but I hope that when the Sunpak is in Auto mode, there is some partial communication (aperture and ISO settings) between the flash and the body, something similar to the Pentax AF200T/AF280T/AF400T in Auto mode.

08-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Sunpak Auto 422D thyristor that has a Pentax module on it

Hin's Tech Corner: Sunpak 422D Thyristor Flash & Pentax F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5

And to dig up some product shots, I see this

And perhaps, to be safe, you can borrow my 422D with the module to try it out before the purchase, I have the PT-1D module but I don't know if that works on 555 or other sunpak flash. And I would test the partial communication that you mentioned tonight for you. I suspect it won't work like the AF280T for you but I can be wrong. I hope I am wrong on this. I also have Sunpak 433 and I have not tested if 433 accepts the PT-1D module.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 08-13-2009 at 03:43 PM.
08-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey Hin,

Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

I didn't know what the difference was between the PT-1D and the PT-2D. Now that I know the PT-1D has 1 data pin (in addition to the sync pin), I think the PT-2D will work better because it has 2 data pins and thus will support TTL for my SuperProgram and my LX.

In terms of using with Pentax DSLR, the PT-2D can't be worse. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, I can always disable the data pins and use it as a "dumb" hotshoe adapter (K10D doesn't have a PC terminal).

I placed the order with B&H (and included a Sunpak RS-005 for you).
08-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Hey Hin,

Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

I didn't know what the difference was between the PT-1D and the PT-2D. Now that I know the PT-1D has 1 data pin (in addition to the sync pin), I think the PT-2D will work better because it has 2 data pins and thus will support TTL for my SuperProgram and my LX.

In terms of using with Pentax DSLR, the PT-2D can't be worse. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, I can always disable the data pins and use it as a "dumb" hotshoe adapter (K10D doesn't have a PC terminal).

I placed the order with B&H (and included a Sunpak RS-005 for you).
It would be excellent if PT-2D has the interface like the AF280T that you showed me. As far as I remember, the PT-1D won't have the interface that you showed me. It is very convenient to leverage the interface similar to pentax flash. If it works out as you expected, I would order a PT-2D after you.

By the way, the Sunpak 422D is surprisingly good when I used it in auto-mode. The nice thing it has is on the 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, full power control. I know some excellent Pentaxian (Steve -- SCGushue ) uses two copies of this flash for his macro work and this flash is quite inexpensive to have.

Thanks,
Hin

08-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
D W
Veteran Member

Pt-2D give you full ttl flash metering. I beleive the PT-1D is dedicated with ready light and more limited ttl function.

Best with the ext 11 and 555 would be the PT-2D. The 2D works up to some of the digital models which includes the istD,DS,DS2. I am still shooting with an istD for it offers digital and full ttl with my 120J-ttl and DX12R
08-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I received the PT-2D module and the coupling cord EXT-11 yesterday.

I didn't have time to test them much. But so far, I don't think the Sunpak 555/EXT-11/PT-2D supports TTL. With my LX, which has TTL flash metering, the Sunpak always fires at full power. I don't have film developed yet, but I can tell from the time the flash takes to recharge.

With my K10D, the Sunpak does not have the same level of interface as the Pentax AF280T does. The only think the Sunpak does is with the K10D in P or Av mode, when the flash is ready, it sets the shutter speed between 1/180 and 1/30, depending on ambient light and on the focal length of the lens. I still have to match the ISO and the aperture settings on the flash and on the camera.

Flash Auto mode works great, and the light sensor in use is the one on the PT-2D module, not the one on the flash body.

So with the Sunpak 555, the PT-2D works just like the PT-1D (this is just an educated guess; I don't have the PT-1D to compare).

BTW, the trigger voltage is 6.5V.