Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the stock charger draw power

...When there's no battery in there? I usually try to be sure and unplug my adapters when they aren't in use, cause of the waste of energy, but I wonder if it's necessary in this case.

Just wondering if anyone happens to know.

08-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If there is a transformer, it will draw power as long as it is plugged in. It may not be as much as when there is a battery, and it's charging, but there will be a draw.
08-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see how it can't be drawing power all the time. Something has to be "hot" to sense when a battery is put onto it.
08-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Anything plugged in will draw power even if the unit is turned off it will draw power. COM ED sent out information with there bills stating this in how to save on your bill.

08-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seescape Quote
Anything plugged in will draw power even if the unit is turned off it will draw power. COM ED sent out information with there bills stating this in how to save on your bill.
Right, that's at least the safe presumption. I understand it's sometimes possible to make things not do that. I usually keep the charger on a power strip that's generally shut off, anyway. Forgot yesterday, and was wondering if anything was really going on in there.
08-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seescape Quote
Electronic devices usually have a soft power switch, so there is always current flowing through it to allow you to power it on. Purely electrical devices like toasters or lamps, for example, will only draw power when it is activated.

In the case of wall wart transformers, the primary coil completes a circuit, and always draws a current when plugged in (unless there is a power switch).
08-19-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I noticed this morning that the charger for my cordless drill was warm even though I pulled the battery out of it last night. It was promptly unplugged.

08-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Electronic devices usually have a soft power switch, so there is always current flowing through it to allow you to power it on. Purely electrical devices like toasters or lamps, for example, will only draw power when it is activated.

In the case of wall wart transformers, the primary coil completes a circuit, and always draws a current when plugged in (unless there is a power switch).
Nothing like a.... hard switch, eh?

It's a wonderful and high-tech device which enables the convenience of cutting power to something without moving the device around or crawling under cabinets to remove cords from the wall. Brilliant!
08-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just tested it with my "P3 Kill A Watt" meter on my charger from the Pentax K20D.

According to my P3 meter it does NOT draw anything or it is under 1 watt when no battery is in it.

When charging, it draws 6 watts when it is charging

and .09amp when it is charging
08-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
...When there's no battery in there? I usually try to be sure and unplug my adapters when they aren't in use, cause of the waste of energy, but I wonder if it's necessary in this case.

Just wondering if anyone happens to know.
Your TV, VCR, DVD, etc all draw power even when off. As for the Pentax charger it may use the battery itself to turn on the charger.
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
If there is a transformer, it will draw power as long as it is plugged in. It may not be as much as when there is a battery, and it's charging, but there will be a draw.
Pretty much anything that has a transformer like VCR, TV, wireless phone..etc.
They call them power vampires as they draw power without you knowing about it and they draw it slowly unlike if you have the devices set to "on".