Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tripod suggestions...

Looking for solid, sturdy tripod legs. My budget is about $200-$250 max. any suggestions?

08-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

In that price range, one option I would take a look at would be the Feisol Standard tripods. I have one of their Large tripods, and I've been happy with it.
08-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Looking for solid, sturdy tripod legs. My budget is about $200-$250 max. any suggestions?
If you are going outside, do you have a hat? (technical speak for have you thought about a ball head?!)

The feisols do look nice; their US distributor (or one of them?) reallybigcameras.com is just a guy that imports them (his name is Kerry). I am getting a Photo Clam ball head from him today (hopefully) in the mail, he was great to deal with and answered all my questions quickly (and I had a ton since this was my first real ballhead purchase). He sells feisol and photo clam products at the moment. If you have any questions about them (size/fit/weight etc) I am sure he can help you out a great deal.

Personally I also just got a 1 series gitzo basalt tripod off of fleabay (specifically model 1932)- with the bing cashback (currently higher at 13% than what I bought at, 10%) it ran me $240 shipped (so would be closer to $230 at the moment). It is very nice, as long as your needs don't involve very long focal lengths (gitzo says upto 200mm, I will mostly use it for wide angles myself). and is rated for 15.8lbs (for which you need to include the weight of your bag if you intend to hang it from the tripod hook!).
08-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

One other thing you want to consider is definitely height. the feisol goes to 54 inches without a center column (which, from everything I have read, you should try your best to not use). With a ballhead attached, this is about the perfect height for me personally, being 5'11" it puts the camera just about eye level (maybe 1-2 inches under, but not uncomfortable to bend slightly). The gitzo has a center column, but reaches this same height without using it - but it is nice to have in a pinch, which the feisol does not include (it is extra). all food for thought!

08-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i definitely want to get a ball head, but i'm just starting to research which legs to get first. thanks for all your input!!
08-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i definitely want to get a ball head, but i'm just starting to research which legs to get first. thanks for all your input!!
If you haven't already, read this article, I think it is great.

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

I think that as an amateur photographer/pro snapshooter a sturdy, well recommended tripod in the price range you are looking will hold its' own for a good while (at least, that is what I am hoping as this is already the road I have chosen!).

I have an amvona ballhead which I thought would suffice. It is a knock off of one of the manfrotto heads (I actually use manfrotto RC4 plates with it). I thought it would be fine for awhile. Then I realized what was the point of having a 3lb tripod with a 2lb ballhead attached?

I started reading, and reading, and reading about ballheads. You have your giottos or cullmann recommendations, then I started reading about RRS, arca, kirk and markins. Happened upon the Photo Clam ball head, which is a new company and essentially a knockoff of the markins (both made in south korea). While it is relatively new, the few reviews I have found put it on par with the markins (these are from owners of both brands) and since markins was, at one time, essentially an arca knockoff itself, I decided to try out the photo clam. After some use I will review the combo in the tripod sticky (hopefully later next week). There is alot of information out there!
08-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not look in local pawn shops and second hand stores for an old professional model

It may not be light but it will be just as stable as anything new, and you can put (usually) what ever ball head you want on it.

Some of the older models include a feature no longer used on new tripods, specifically they link all 3 legs to a sliding collar around the center post.

locking this makes the legs bounce even less adding to stability.

I have 2 old tripods and put monfretto 468 ball heads with quick release plates on them. works just fine

08-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
great advice lowell. i've been looking on craigslist a bit, i'll check out some local stores as well.
08-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
If you haven't already, read this article, I think it is great.

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

I think that as an amateur photographer/pro snapshooter a sturdy, well recommended tripod in the price range you are looking will hold its' own for a good while (at least, that is what I am hoping as this is already the road I have chosen!).

I have an amvona ballhead which I thought would suffice. It is a knock off of one of the manfrotto heads (I actually use manfrotto RC4 plates with it). I thought it would be fine for awhile. Then I realized what was the point of having a 3lb tripod with a 2lb ballhead attached?

I started reading, and reading, and reading about ballheads. You have your giottos or cullmann recommendations, then I started reading about RRS, arca, kirk and markins. Happened upon the Photo Clam ball head, which is a new company and essentially a knockoff of the markins (both made in south korea). While it is relatively new, the few reviews I have found put it on par with the markins (these are from owners of both brands) and since markins was, at one time, essentially an arca knockoff itself, I decided to try out the photo clam. After some use I will review the combo in the tripod sticky (hopefully later next week). There is alot of information out there!
Lots of great information there in that article. Thanks for sharing! I only wish I had that much to spend on some really good gear.
08-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lots of great information there in that article. Thanks for sharing! I only wish I had that much to spend on some really good gear.
I was fortunate to make some great scores at the local ritz when it was closing. I had intended to use a panasonic L1 and olympus 70-300mm (bought after I got the L1 for the most ridiculous price) lens for telephoto needs (as that is a 600mm reach!) but the lack of SR in the L1, and the proposition of going deeply into carrying around 2 systems gave me pause and I ended up selling all the 4/3 stuff. I decided after a recent trip up north (and checking out some gitzos in a local shop in minneapolis I hadnt been to), that my amvona tripod was not upto snuff. Since I sold all the 4/3 stuff I had some money made from that, and used it for the gitzo I mentioned above.

I just got the photo clam 33ns ballhead and a plate. first impression is that it is quality workmanship. the plate is nice and compact (probably weighs 1/4 what the manfrotto rc4 plate does), the ballhead movement is smooth, and once you know what friction presets are and have given them a try, well, how did I live without it!? I tried out a nice velbon head at national camera (about $100), and looked at the acra head (well over $200, cant remember exactly) they had there as well, the photo clam is simple, and sturdy, much easier to use than either of those (and plates compatible with RRS, markins, kirk, arca are nice too). I am pleased with both purchases so far and cant wait for the weekend to get out and use them. Glad I could be of some help!
08-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #11

Get a Gitzo GT1541T and you'll never look back - but you'll look forward - I am lusting for the 2541EX with the arcatech GP ballhead. I think the former is a good tripod every photographer should own and invest in.
08-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

In my opinion you should look at those Chinese quality products like Feisol, Induro, Benro. Also Slik upper range tripods are very good in price/performance ratio. I had three Slik tripods, all of them were very good for their price.
08-20-2009, 03:14 AM   #13
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Except for its weight (which isn't really a problem, as I don't take it on long hikes), I like my old, sturdy Manfrotto/Bogen tripod, which I bought used.

I'm having difficulty getting used to what I call the screw/unscrew assembly for extending and retracting the legs of a used Slik Pro 804 CF carbon fiber tripod I bought at an estate sale. (I am not trying to bad-mouth this product.)

So, my advice boils down to this: If possible, handle the product (or a very similar product) before you invest unless you are confident with recommendations of that specific product.
08-20-2009, 03:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I'm having difficulty getting used to what I call the screw/unscrew assembly for extending and retracting the legs of a used Slik Pro 804 CF carbon fiber tripod I bought at an estate sale. (I am not trying to bad-mouth this product.)
All carbon fiber tripods I have seen are with those twist locks. Could it be that there are some technological limitations which force manufacturers to use twist locks instead of flip locks?
08-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
All carbon fiber tripods I have seen are with those twist locks. Could it be that there are some technological limitations which force manufacturers to use twist locks instead of flip locks?
I hadn't noticed this myself, but I would hazard a guess that even though carbon fibre is strong, it probably has something to do with the way a clamp release puts stress on the structure which may damage the carbon fibre vs. twist locking legs. I am not a fan of twist locks in general either, but I am loving Gitzo's locking legs. 1/4 turn is all that is needed for them to release, so there is no questioning whether you have loosened the legs enough to pull them out.

The gitzo 1541 is, I think, an old model number now (did that ever drive me nuts researching the gitzo products - their model numbering and product structure are ridiculously obscure!). I ended up buying their basalt series 1 legs (current model 1932) - the trade off being an extra pound vs. the CF version, which is still lighter than what I had previously.

To Edvinas...what has been the point of owning 3 tripods?! I could see maybe 2 (one for ultra compact), but in all my research I wanted to skip to the end as much as possible. While I couldn't afford the CF legs, the Gitzo is so way beyond anything I have handled previously, and the lifetime warranty on workmanship indicates this will be one of the last tripods I will ever buy.