Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Question about Markins ballhead safety pin

Hi all, I have a question for Markins ballhead users.

On Q3 ballhead clam there's spring loaded safety pin. In the picture it is named "Safety Detent Pin and Safety Stop Relief"

Ususally I am smart enough to figure out how stuff works... not this time however

I can't understand how does this safety pin work. I thought that presence of the spring loaded pin enables you to slide in camera plate without fully releasing clamp jaw. But... how do you release it? I can't find any release mechanism, seems like it is just simple spring loaded pin and you need to fully open the jaw to take the camera out.

I don't have camera plate yet, so I can't try, but curiosity is so strong that I am writing this question

08-20-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure the release mechanism is on the upper right side of the photo you have above (in other words, hidden!). I have a photo clam ball head, basically an almost exact knock off also from south korea. It has the release mechanism on the side opposite to the tightening knob (it would be visible in the above photo, probably one of the few 'different' things about it).

The pin is there to prevent the plate from sliding OUT in the event the release becomes loose. The markins plates are likely either hollowed out (that is how my photo clam plate is, so it has alittle play when the tightening knob is loosened, but will not slide off completely without releasing the pin), or they have a specific hole which the safety pin engages when the plate is slid onto the holder.