Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Suggestion on a Pelican case (or similar)

I have a need for a Pelican hard case (or similar) for the gear I will list below. Need help determing size.

K200D with grip
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 Macro
Sigma 100-300mm F4.0
Sigma 1.4x APO TC
AF540

the above is most important. If I have any extra room, I may put some smaller items in.

Thanks!

08-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
If you go to the Pelican web site, it's very good and details most of their cases, just bear in mind if you get LBA you may need to consider bigger case, just to grow with you.
08-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm pretty close on a choice... Looking at Pelican 1500 or 1520. Maybe go with Porta Brace 2500F. That's a little bigger and cheaper, just worried that replacement foam might not be as readily available as the Pelican. Which brings me to dividers vs foam. Foam seems like it would be more secure for the items inside. Yes, no?
08-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be a help if I knew what size my Pelican case is but it's about 12 inchs on the long axis. Anyway, I got it sized so I can take my K10/K20 with a 70-300mm zoom attached and one more lens in the box. I could put more limiteds in there I guess, but I use my Pelican box when I go sea kayaking and that's about all I really want to have on hand in the boat.

Just looked at the website, I think mine's about a 1400 model. I like 'em.

Oh, the foam...took quite a while to get the foam right for my camera combo. My only complaint is that the top half of the foam block comes out with the camera/lens on occasion but that's no big deal.

08-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Are you carrying or shipping?
You can add up the dimensions of your gear, add 50mm (2") in each direction for each item (for separation) and size the appropriate case.
We use a bunch of Pelican and pelican-like case at work for shipping and recently got a couple of 1510s for carrying. If you're going to carry it far, it's nice to have wheels
I haven't tried the Pelican divider kits, but I like the idea for a carrying case. The foam inserts can be a PITA sometimes.

hth
08-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

JoeyC,

I have the Pelican 1510 carry on. As already stated it has roller wheels and an extension handle. Good for shipping or carry on if you choose.

Regarding it's capacity, I was able to fit the following into the 1510:
  1. K20D w/grip + FA* 300/2.8 with hood in place. That hood is almost 5" long - it's big and larger than the 112mm front element
  2. Canon 40D + Sigma 500/4.5. The Sigma has a largish front element too.
They are packed with the bodies at opposite ends, wrapped in towels inside the foam liners (no inserts, etc.). Ran it through checked luggage 4 times last year (with TSA Peli-locks of course). No problems. Fully insured for $10K of course. I already had a laptop bag and soft sided camera bag as carry on, so this was my best travel option.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 08-25-2009 at 10:43 AM.
08-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To all...

Marc... Thank you for the response. That certainly gives me a good idea of the space that I would need. I can look at the measurements I have, look at the measurements of the cases, but it is still difficult for me to put it all together without seeing various cases/configurations.

My reasoning for wanting one is two fold - I would like one for travel/protection, but as well as wanting a weatherproof case for the field. Some of my shooting is in damp conditions.

Thanks again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
JoeyC,

I have the Pelican 1510 carry on. As already stated it has roller wheels and an extension handle. Good for shipping or carry on if you choose.

Regarding it's capacity, I was able to fit the following into the 1510:
  1. K20D w/grip + FA* 300/2.8 with hood in place. That hood is almost 5" long - it's big and larger than the 112mm front element
  2. Canon 40D + Sigma 500/4.5. The Sigma has a largish front element too.
They are packed with the bodies at opposite ends, wrapped in towels inside the foam liners (no inserts, etc.). Ran it through checked luggage 4 times last year (with TSA Peli-locks of course). No problems. Fully insured for $10K of course. I already had a laptop bag and soft sided camera bag as carry on, so this was my best travel option.

Regards,
Marc
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for taking so long to respond! I appreciate the input - it gives me a basis for comparison.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
It would be a help if I knew what size my Pelican case is but it's about 12 inchs on the long axis. Anyway, I got it sized so I can take my K10/K20 with a 70-300mm zoom attached and one more lens in the box. I could put more limiteds in there I guess, but I use my Pelican box when I go sea kayaking and that's about all I really want to have on hand in the boat.

Just looked at the website, I think mine's about a 1400 model. I like 'em.

Oh, the foam...took quite a while to get the foam right for my camera combo. My only complaint is that the top half of the foam block comes out with the camera/lens on occasion but that's no big deal.
It would mainly be for carrying. I really don't see any reason to ship (for me). Good suggestion on the wheels. That can certainly take a load of the back/arms.

I appreciate the input.

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
Are you carrying or shipping?
You can add up the dimensions of your gear, add 50mm (2") in each direction for each item (for separation) and size the appropriate case.
We use a bunch of Pelican and pelican-like case at work for shipping and recently got a couple of 1510s for carrying. If you're going to carry it far, it's nice to have wheels
I haven't tried the Pelican divider kits, but I like the idea for a carrying case. The foam inserts can be a PITA sometimes.

hth

08-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just in the interest of providing more option you may like to look at Storm cases. Storm is made by Hardigg. This is a sub line from there big cases. I like Hardiggs big rack mounted equipment and transport cases but I like Pelicans smaller cases a little more then the Strom cases. Both systems have been competing with each other and when one gets a better idea the other has to one up them. At this point both Storm and Pelican cases are extremely good. A case similar to the Pelican 1510 is the storm iM2500.

Now that Pelican has taken over Hardigg we (for the moment) have more options.

Hardigg Storm Cases, Airtight, Watertight, Waterproof, Protection Systems, Dent-Resistant, Safe and Secure, Guaranteed For Life

DAZ
08-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use several different Pelicases of various sizes. On the larger models I highly recommend the dividers over the foam. As you change your kit you can reconfigure the dividers. Plus the foam starts to fall apart after a couple years of regular field use and takes up way too much of your storage space with overkill padding. I don't use either foam or dividers in all the smaller cases--just the bottom and top foam with the gear in it's own soft cases. Even my medium format kit with 67II, 4 lenses and accessories fits into an open case without the foam or dividers--1500 model. I've flown these kits all over the hemisphere for decades without issue--including as checked baggage. I personally dislike the wheeled storage cases as most of my use is in the field where the wheels are of no use--sand, mud, gravel, no-trail hikes through underbrush etc. Just carrying them around by the handles is surprisingly comfortable out to about a couple miles. The rigid waterproof design makes a great working "tray" while on site as well.

The smaller cases that I like are the 1500, 1450 and 1400 models of which I have several.

I recently covered a sporting event with a limited kit (compared to my ridiculous kits) using the 1450. In it I fit:
K10d w grip
FA* 28-70/2.8
FA* 80-200/2.8
DA 12-24/4
AF540FGZ flash
assorted accessories, synch cords and shoes, flash diffuser, extra SD cards, notepad, small tool kit, cleaning supplies etc.

Under a vehicle seat, I stashed a second smaller 1400 with backup body, 360 FGZ flash, turbo battery, more synch cords, mini and maxi pods, etc. Never needed to use the smaller backup kit.

I highly recommend Pelican products, especially for travel and field use. I hardly ever use my photo backpacks in the field anymore (other than a scope pack for the 600/4). If I commonly hiked over 2 miles, I might rethink this, but for short "spur" hikes and typical "walk to the waterfall or overlook" type jaunts the Pelicases rock. I use 'em at National Parks, wildlife refuges, roadside tourist stops etc. And when I fly to more remote places, Northwest Territories, Alaska etc. the Pelicases give me cases that work great for boat trips, extended camp trips, sandy seaside work, snow protection etc.

Go for it and buy Pelican cases!

I also own a couple lesser brands of sealed rigid cases, but they are definitely not up to Pelicase standards.
08-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
D W
Veteran Member

I use the 1510 with divider and lid organizer and double Peli-TSA. The divider give you flexibility to configure it to what ever equipment you are bringing on specific trips. It is the largest you can carry onto larger jets as carry on.
If you need to gate-check with smaller planes or get hit with last minute carry on rule changes or one piece carry-on enforcement then you know that your gear should be safe.

The best is to take the internal dimensions of the different sizes which might fit your gear. Then you lay your gear our within an imaginary rectangle with allowance for foam or padded dividers and measure out how much space is required.
08-31-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
My reasoning for wanting one is two fold - I would like one for travel/protection, but as well as wanting a weatherproof case for the field. Some of my shooting is in damp conditions.
Have you looked at the LowePro DryZone waterproof bags? There are three, 100, 200, Rover.
QuoteQuote:
DryZone is the world’s first totally waterproof, soft-sided camera backpack. Even fully loaded, they float so your gear is always protected. The inner drypod with patented, waterproof TIZIP™ zipper provides 100% watertight protection. It’s like a drysuit for your equipment. When less protection is needed, leave the TIZIP™ open and fasten just the inner zipper and top clip for easier access. The heavy-duty, padded camera compartment inside is fully customizable while the outer shell comes complete with a technical backpack harness. Also included, ergonomic lumbar support, fully adjustable CollarCut™ shoulder straps, tuck-away tripod holder, self-draining mesh pockets, drain hole, rubber handle, and attachment loops for SlipLock™ accessories. DryZone packs are comfortable to wear and give you total peace of mind in extreme environments.
Thank you
Russell
09-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #12

Carry on weight limits?

I've been considering the 1510 for some upcoming travel. They say it meets carry-on requirements. Is there a weight limit on that too?
09-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driver3 Quote
I've been considering the 1510 for some upcoming travel. They say it meets carry-on requirements. Is there a weight limit on that too?
20 lbs in the US.

Thank you
Russell
09-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driver3 Quote
I'm in NY and was at B&H today. I saw the HPRC 3500 Hard Case and thought it might be of interest to some.

Thank you
Russell
09-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
D W
Veteran Member

The 1510 fits in all major airline carry on template dimension wise. Yes, it is heavy and doesn't need much in there to push it over the published limit of 20 pounds.I have never been asked to have my case weight. YMMV. Especially if you are travelling on budget airline where overweight and oversized luggage is a profit centre.

I just feel safer with my gear in the 1510 when the need for gate checking arises due to full flights or smaller jets. Even with gate checking since your bag is checked at TSA checkpoint x-ray already you are not subjected to another x-ray/hand inspection when it is placed in the forward cargo hold with stroller, wheelchairs and you pick it up on the jetway when you deplane.

There are cheaper bags which claims to be waterproof but the beauty of the Peli's are they are CRUSHPROOF. What is $250 for a fully loaded 1510 with organizer and dividers compared to the $5000+ cost of gear that is going in it.

Last edited by D W; 09-22-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: sp chk