Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D Batteries - Finally a solution

My partner uses a Panasonic TZ3 Compact (a great little camera) running on a pair of Li-ion cells and it wasn't long before I envied the Li-Ion Cell performance over the NiMH cells.

That is until I bought a set of Eneloop cells.

They have been a revelation in performance! I have now supplemented them with a set of Duracell Active Charge (similar claims)

I have yet to try them but for all those standard NiMH cell users out there - Your frustrations have been addressed!

These latest cells are much better both it terms of shots per charge and charge retention that i can't recommend them strongly enough!

Cheers MZ

Last edited by ManixZero; 08-21-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Copy & Paste from word cocked up
08-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Are they more expensive than standard rechargables?And how many recharges do you get out of them?And what is the mAH on them?
08-22-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using Eneloops for probably three years now, the first two sets are still going but are definately going flat quicker. Cameras they have been through are a DS & DL, and now a K200D.
Am now using those sets around the house in clocks etc.

Trick is to mark each set so as one knows who's who.
PS: for Barnster, just google "Eneloops" there is a dedicated site for them by Sanyo
08-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #4

Did not work well on my K100D

I tried many makes of Ni-mh batteries, even the ones with low internal discharge. I think the problem is with the camera, it may have been curable but Pentax either did not want to or could not, difficult to know.

The problem is due to the much lower voltage of the Ni-MH, so the camera shuts down thinking that the battery is depleted, whereas it is not. I always wanted a feature whereby you told the camera what type of batteries you are using so that it would adjust the voltage thresholds by which it would operate.

I noticed to my annoyance that the K-M/2000 has this feature in the firmware. Judging by my experience with those batteries it showed every sign that it can operate with those much lower voltages.

In the end I moved to a K20D to solve the problem, going to a K-M just to solve the battery problem seemed a waste. Due to production variation I am well able to believe that some K100D coped with the lower voltages better than other. But just the fact that Pentax added this to the firmware of the K-M did make me annoyed as I was more that happy to keep the K100D

08-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #5

Sanyo eneeloops with this charger here

This way you can analyze your batteries and group the ones with similar performance together.

All it takes is 1 weak cell to ruin your day.
08-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely does help having the right charger (with individual cell settings and charge info).
Eneloops are world renowned for their low discharge rate and durability in high power devices. Though the newer Energiser NiMh 2500mAh and Maha Powerex 2700mAh batts have come to be the best in longevity and power.
08-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you search here and on other fora you will find that Eneloops have been highly recommended many times. Certainly they are all I use any more, after comparing with several other top brands.

As Ash wrote, get a good recharger as well, one that will intelligently set the recharge rate individually.

08-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadprez Quote
Sanyo eneeloops with this charger here

This way you can analyze your batteries and group the ones with similar performance together.

All it takes is 1 weak cell to ruin your day.
I agree!

A good charger along with some good LSD cells makes all the difference!
08-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
I tried many makes of Ni-mh batteries, even the ones with low internal discharge. I think the problem is with the camera, it may have been curable but Pentax either did not want to or could not, difficult to know.

The problem is due to the much lower voltage of the Ni-MH, so the camera shuts down thinking that the battery is depleted, whereas it is not. I always wanted a feature whereby you told the camera what type of batteries you are using so that it would adjust the voltage thresholds by which it would operate.

I noticed to my annoyance that the K-M/2000 has this feature in the firmware. Judging by my experience with those batteries it showed every sign that it can operate with those much lower voltages.

In the end I moved to a K20D to solve the problem, going to a K-M just to solve the battery problem seemed a waste. Due to production variation I am well able to believe that some K100D coped with the lower voltages better than other. But just the fact that Pentax added this to the firmware of the K-M did make me annoyed as I was more that happy to keep the K100D

The K100D Super has the battey facility in menu to state what type of cell is in the camera!
Im using a Travor battery pack on my K100D Super and if left will discharge itself in 2-3 weeks!
So I usually charge before a shoot!
and the battery lasts a decent time, but never actually logged the number of shots
08-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
The K100D Super has the battey facility in menu to state what type of cell is in the camera!
I have to check this out as I have never noticed it really.
You can really do this?
08-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes in my super I can.......

I have seen it there but never changed it!
and the K-m is auto or you can set it manually!

and after 2 months the K-m is now showing the batteries that came with it as half on the battery meter!
impressive!
08-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #12

I got disgusted with the NiMh performance in my IstDs2, so went with CRV3 li rechargeables. Much better solution for me.
08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Inactive Account

i recently switched to using NiZn batteries. they provide 1.6v each. energizer lithiums out-of-the-box are about 1.7v

so far so good.
i got about 450 shots on one charge with quite a bit of chimping, but very little flash.

i'm still testing on how good the longevitiy of each charged battery.

so far my second set of batteries are still chugging along.

just another option to the eneloops
08-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by WalterGA Quote
I got disgusted with the NiMh performance in my IstDs2, so went with CRV3 li rechargeables. Much better solution for me.
Seconded. I tried NiMH - got 200 shots (if lucky) with my K100D. Bought some fancy Hybrios and Eneloops and only managed to squeeze out around 150-200 shots, with the camera starting to switch off and show an empty battery intermittently after as little as 50 shots from a full charge - turns out my K100D has a really high shut-off voltage, and the camera thinks the battery died every time more load is applied.

Getting some CR-V3s gave the camera a new lease on life - non-rechargeables got me *well* over 1000 shots. I've got a set of rechargeable CR-V3s on order now from dealextreme.
08-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had endless trouble with rechargeable alkalines (Energizer and Duracell) in my K100DS and Canon p&s. All the troubles stopped when I discovered Rayovac Hybrids. They use the same technology as Eneloops but less expensive and more accessible around here. They hold their power when not being used and last several times longer when they are being used.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-25-2009 at 06:47 PM.