Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Hi Beth,

If you are shooting in Program mode you should not need to shuffle aperture or shutter speed around at all.

When you get a flash that works properly, try the following settings:

Flash set to HSS (it will drop to normal sync if there is not enough light)
Mode PTTL
EV compensation +0.5

Camera set to Av
ISO set to 400 indoors and 200 outdoors
Aperture set to 5.6

Buy a diffuser panel for the flash or bounce it from a nearby wall or ceiling if you can.

This should be usable for subjects up to 5m away.

Use lithium batteries and as long as the flash is not fully discharging you can get a refresh rate of much less than 6 seconds.

All you need to do from this point is adjust the cameras EV compensation if you are not getting a decent exposure.

QuoteOriginally posted by bethtphotos Quote
Hi all,
I'm shooting weddings using my Pentax k10D & AF-540FGZ flash unit. I hardly understand this flash unit at all, & find the manual pretty frustrating.

Generally, I'm shooting weddings at a 400 ISO, shuffling my aperture & shutter speeds around like a madwoman. (f/5.6 at 125 is a favorite place of mine, but I have trouble keeping things there). My flash unit sits directly on my hotshoe, & the default settings are:

On button set all the way to the right. The button on the right that can go up or down is up, so that white shows. Settings:PTT-L, A Zoom, 0.0 compensation...but I ALWAYS have 16 blinking next to my mm setting. No matter what my camera readings are, the flashing continues! This can't be right, can it? What am I missing?

I generally shoot on Program mode on the camera.

I have on occasion tried to change my mode to A, but the blinking 16 continues. regardless again of my camera settings (even though I've thrown it into M & tried to photograph at 125 f/5.6 from there...the result: completely black images).

Then, I notice it often takes so long for the flash to ready itself, that by the time it does, I've missed the shot. I am attentive to my battery power, keep fresh batteries in & change frequently.

Oh, my lenses: a Pentax DA 50-135 f 2.8, Sigma 17-35 f 2.8 & a Pentax prime 50 mm f/1.4.

I should mention that the switch to fix the flash to the shoe is quite loose...it doesn't snap into place & there have been times when the flash has fallen off (I caught it!) so I have to keep checking to confirm its affixed.

I appreciate your help.