Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2009, 04:16 AM   #1

Manfrotto 055 Carbon tripod recommendations

I've been trawling through the search options on the forums and haven't come up with any threads that specifically mentioned the tripod i'm considering so I thought I'd throw it out there anew for consideration.

I was wondering if any of you had experience using the Manfrotto 055 carbon 4 section tripod legs...and even better if you've been using it with a 488 RC0 head, as that's what I'm planning on putting on this set of legs.

Also, what would you consider alternatives/better options to this tripod (it fits basically all of the criteria I have, but when you're spending this much coin it's nice to know you're not spending it without justification)

I've looked though the gitzo and slik options and haven't come up with much.

Specifically, I'd like something comparatively light (existing tripod with head is 800mm compressed and 3.5kg, with max height of 1580mm) The existing height is adequate and I rarely use the tripod with the centre post extended.

Jobs thrown at this tripod would vary from low down macro to extended landscape and studio work. there may be some benefit in the more adjustable centre columns of the gitzo and benbo tripods, but not having this feature before I don't know how (if) i'd use it and whether it's worth considering.

The 488RC0 head is about 130mm tall by itself so i'd prefer a tripod with a compressed length 550mm or less.

the 488RC0 and the 055CXPro4 combination is 680mm compressed and weighs 2.5kg, so at this stage it's my preferred option, but i'd value some input into options I may not have considered.

That said, i'm in Australia so it would need to be available locally with appropriate warranty support.

Thanks for your help!

08-25-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Camerasdirect.com.au - Digital Camera Store carries the photo clam ballhead. If you are willing to spend that much on a ballhead ($115 based on what I found at US retailers), if you can, at least double that amount and try and get a ballhead that uses the arca type mounts, this way you aren't locked into a proprietary plate system (not necessarily photo clam, but also arca swiss, really right stuff, markins, kirk).

I got a photo clam ballhead last week and so far am very impressed (basically a knockoff of markins heads, which were at one time a knockoff of arca swiss). I purchased the 33ns photo clam head, and it holds the 50-135 comfortably (biggest, most off center lens I have), and everything else in my sig easily.

I paired it with a set of series 1 gitzo basalt legs (model 1932). Unless you are really sold on saving 5 inches in length, everything I've read points to getting the least amount of leg sections for increased stability. You also want to get something that you won't need the center column with, as that is basically like putting a monopod on your tripod (for reference I am 5'10", and a 54" tripod w/out center extended and a 3-4" ballhead is pretty much eye level).

Just looking at cost, does that manfrotto tripod really cost over $800 in australia?! I found the same set of gitzo legs I have (actually the older model) is over $900. I bought from seller thecamerabox on ebay - they are grey market but warranty is still valid - they ship worldwide and the basalt 1932 legs were $272 shipped (in the US).

The gitzo legs are 25 inches, plus another 3.5 for the photo clam ballhead. alittle on the long side, but only 3.8lbs. food for thought! Check some of the other recent tripod threads in this section, feisol legs also look very nice and markins ballheads (the q3) are also highly recommended from what I have read.
08-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaprism Quote
I've been trawling through the search options on the forums and haven't come up with any threads that specifically mentioned the tripod i'm considering so I thought I'd throw it out there anew for consideration.

I was wondering if any of you had experience using the Manfrotto 055 carbon 4 section tripod legs...and even better if you've been using it with a 488 RC0 head, as that's what I'm planning on putting on this set of legs.

Also, what would you consider alternatives/better options to this tripod (it fits basically all of the criteria I have, but when you're spending this much coin it's nice to know you're not spending it without justification)

I've looked though the gitzo and slik options and haven't come up with much.

Specifically, I'd like something comparatively light (existing tripod with head is 800mm compressed and 3.5kg, with max height of 1580mm) The existing height is adequate and I rarely use the tripod with the centre post extended.

Jobs thrown at this tripod would vary from low down macro to extended landscape and studio work. there may be some benefit in the more adjustable centre columns of the gitzo and benbo tripods, but not having this feature before I don't know how (if) i'd use it and whether it's worth considering.

The 488RC0 head is about 130mm tall by itself so i'd prefer a tripod with a compressed length 550mm or less.

the 488RC0 and the 055CXPro4 combination is 680mm compressed and weighs 2.5kg, so at this stage it's my preferred option, but i'd value some input into options I may not have considered.

That said, i'm in Australia so it would need to be available locally with appropriate warranty support.

Thanks for your help!

I use that very tripod (055-MF4) with a 322RC2 grip ballhead. With the legs, I also bought a set of spiked feet which I can highly recommend after living with for a couple of years now. As for the ball head, it is configurable and I relocated the mount on it so I could flip the grip over for use with my left hand. With my left hand on that and my right hand on the camera, I find it a solid and convenient platform.

That said, I am currently considering a 3-way pan/tilt head for easier use doing panoramas. Haven't decided yet, but the front-runner so far is the 460MG.

I really like the feel of the MF4 in the cold with bare hands, too - way better than aluminum. The bottom sections are surprisingly solid for being rather spindly looking. I worried about that for a while until it became apparent that it was turning out to be stable enough. The 3-section 055-MF3 is taller folded up but also very light weight and if I were to acquire another set of legs, I'd seriously consider that unit (along with another set of spiked feet).
Have fun shopping.
--
dbh
08-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another thing to consider regarding ballheads - the clamp style release of ones like the manfrotto can have alittle bit of play, and also be opened more easily (obviously they have safety features to prevent full release, but the knob can be knocked). With the arca type dovetail designs the clamp is very tight; depending on the brand some also have a safety pin to prevent from the plate slipping (markins and the photo clam I have both have a pin, not sure about the other brands).

Then there is a friction preset found on the phot clam, markins and other higher end ballheads. This allows you to set a minimum tension on the ball so that whatever you have mounted (can be adjusted based on whatever lenses you have), at the determined minimum friction setting you can move the camera with one hand, and when you release the head will hold it in place - you don't have to untighten then re-tighten. On my photo clam tension knob, it has number markings from 1-11 (1 minimum 11 max tension). Once you know the number minimum for each of your lenses (for instance, camera/50-135 is 9.5 while camera/12-24 is fine at minimum 7 tension for my setup) it is just a matter of turning the tention knob to that number, then turning a small thumb screw built into the tension knob. This prevents the tension knob from turning past that minimum setting. I hadn't even heard of this until I started doing my research - I think once you have a ball head with a friction preset you won't understand how you ever got along without it. Whatever legs you get, make sure you get a head to match! The markins and photo clam heads are also close to 2 inches shorter than the manfrotto you mentioned above, which would help if length is a strong factor in your decision.

08-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks pxpaulx for your comments.

yes, unfortunately the 055Carbon does cost over $800, but I expect to do some negotiating and by the time you pick up another head you're looking at a fair sum of $$$.

I've got the 488RC0 on my existing tripod and I'm happy to continue using the hex plate. The midi head also has a safety catch on the QR so you cant accidentally unlock the QR plate.

I've been tossing around the idea of less sections = more rigidity...makes sense given each section is larger diameter tubing and therefore more rigid but portability is an issue for me, especially compressed length as if it's too long or awkward to carry, I tend to leave it at home/in the car (which is what occasionally happens with the one at the moment)

Thanks for your advice, I'll have to check out the gitzo catalogue again to make sure I haven't overlooked anything and check out the clam head and markins as like you say could save me 50mm.
08-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I use that very tripod (055-MF4) with a 322RC2 grip ballhead. With the legs, I also bought a set of spiked feet which I can highly recommend after living with for a couple of years now. As for the ball head, it is configurable and I relocated the mount on it so I could flip the grip over for use with my left hand. With my left hand on that and my right hand on the camera, I find it a solid and convenient platform.

That said, I am currently considering a 3-way pan/tilt head for easier use doing panoramas. Haven't decided yet, but the front-runner so far is the 460MG.

I really like the feel of the MF4 in the cold with bare hands, too - way better than aluminum. The bottom sections are surprisingly solid for being rather spindly looking. I worried about that for a while until it became apparent that it was turning out to be stable enough. The 3-section 055-MF3 is taller folded up but also very light weight and if I were to acquire another set of legs, I'd seriously consider that unit (along with another set of spiked feet).
Have fun shopping.
--
dbh
Thanks dbh,

what model/part number were the spiked feet? I've seen ones where the spikes can also be concealed with rubber feet...are these the ones you have? If I end up with the MF4 then i'll get the feet at the same time.

cheers
08-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
...and while I'm thinking about it dbh...how do you find using the q90 centre column?

08-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

As much as I like Manfrotto stuff, if I'm spending that much money on a CF tripod I'd get one that's got sealed joints i.e. Gitzo, Benro. We had one to test in the Philippine Islands and the joints corroded quickly when shooting in the rain and water.

If you plan on using it in similar situations, be prepared to maintain it after usage (disassembling, cleaning and oiling of joints).
08-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks pxpaulx for your comments.

yes, unfortunately the 055Carbon does cost over $800, but I expect to do some negotiating and by the time you pick up another head you're looking at a fair sum of $$$.

I've got the 488RC0 on my existing tripod and I'm happy to continue using the hex plate. The midi head also has a safety catch on the QR so you cant accidentally unlock the QR plate.

I've been tossing around the idea of less sections = more rigidity...makes sense given each section is larger diameter tubing and therefore more rigid but portability is an issue for me, especially compressed length as if it's too long or awkward to carry, I tend to leave it at home/in the car (which is what occasionally happens with the one at the moment)

Thanks for your advice, I'll have to check out the gitzo catalogue again to make sure I haven't overlooked anything and check out the clam head and markins as like you say could save me 50mm.
HAHA, last night I wrote a rambling response, referencing my previous rambling responses - guess I didn't hit the submit button! Anyways, I hadn't realized you already had that head, else I would not have rambled on about ball heads and such (though an upgrade is worth a thought - something with a friction preset which is invaluable in my brief experience with one so far). The feisol tripods do seem to be well reviewed on the 'net, they look like a nice system - their tournament series folds up over the head to save on length when in transport. Gitzo touts up their basalt line as being as good as the CF legs, with some added weight - they use the same process to create the fibre legs for both the CF and basalt legs, both are created through a vertical column/layering process (which I think is unique to gitzo, at least from what they say *grain of salt*).
08-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
As much as I like Manfrotto stuff, if I'm spending that much money on a CF tripod I'd get one that's got sealed joints i.e. Gitzo, Benro. We had one to test in the Philippine Islands and the joints corroded quickly when shooting in the rain and water.

If you plan on using it in similar situations, be prepared to maintain it after usage (disassembling, cleaning and oiling of joints).
Thanks Diego...worth knowing. It wouldn't get too much use in those conditions but at least I know what post-shoot work i'm up for when the tripod does get grotty.
08-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
dbh
Inactive Account

Thanks dbh,

what model/part number were the spiked feet? I've seen ones where the spikes can also be concealed with rubber feet...are these the ones you have? If I end up with the MF4 then i'll get the feet at the same time.

cheers
They were "Manfrotto 440 SPK2 spike feet for 055MF4" and yes they have rubber feet that unscrew down to cover the spikes.

--
dbh
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
HAHA, last night I wrote a rambling response, referencing my previous rambling responses - guess I didn't hit the submit button! Anyways, I hadn't realized you already had that head, else I would not have rambled on about ball heads and such (though an upgrade is worth a thought - something with a friction preset which is invaluable in my brief experience with one so far). The feisol tripods do seem to be well reviewed on the 'net, they look like a nice system - their tournament series folds up over the head to save on length when in transport. Gitzo touts up their basalt line as being as good as the CF legs, with some added weight - they use the same process to create the fibre legs for both the CF and basalt legs, both are created through a vertical column/layering process (which I think is unique to gitzo, at least from what they say *grain of salt*).
pxpaulx - all rambling responses gratefully accepted! You've convinced me to look harder at the 468mgrc0 hydrostatic ball head as I feel that's the sort of thing there could be some significant benefits in owning.

On the leg front, i'm still undecided. But will definitely look into the feisol!
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
They were "Manfrotto 440 SPK2 spike feet for 055MF4" and yes they have rubber feet that unscrew down to cover the spikes.

--
dbh
excellent dbh...will add them to the shopping list if I pick up the manfrotto
08-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
dbh
Inactive Account

...and while I'm thinking about it dbh...how do you find using the q90 centre column?
To set it up for 90deg use you have to take it apart, but it's quick to do. I've done it a few times, with the legs splayed out, for getting real close to the ground and it helps to hang a counter weight off the other end.

Most times I have the center column completely down.
--
dbh
08-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

pxpaulx - all rambling responses gratefully accepted! You've convinced me to look harder at the 468mgrc0 hydrostatic ball head as I feel that's the sort of thing there could be some significant benefits in owning.

On the leg front, i'm still undecided. But will definitely look into the feisol!
took a quick look at that head on B&H - seems as though it does have a friction preset lock. But 1.9lbs!!! I thought about getting one of the manfrotto RC4 plate heads, as I was already using 2 rc4 plates (along with) the knockoff plate I had on the amvona ballhead. Also looked at the higher end cullmann and giottos heads (looked at some velbon and even the gitzo heads at a local shop in this range) - somewhere in the neighborhood of $120 upto $150.

That step up into the $200+ range of heads, in retrospect, was really worth the money. Obviously the weight ratings any company gives are somewhat of a guide, usually a static weight in a balanced position, that sort of thing. The manfrotto head you were talking about I am sure is nice, but it is a downright beast! It is 3 times the weight of the photo clam head I ended up with.

The amvona head I have weighs just over 1.5lbs (it is actually a knockoff of the 488rc4 model, probably essentially the same as what you have, minus the quality, haha), and although it is kind of a grease monkey (literally, kind of gunky stuff on the ball, typical for the knockoffs), it locked down great, I never had a fear it would come loose at all.

I now have a smaller head, that weighs only 40% of the amvona head, and I feel even more confident in its' weight bearing ability - it locks down like a rock with the k20/grip/50-135 - and it only weighs 10 ounces!

What I was attempting to say is (and I am presuming this may be one of your thoughts at the moment) - I initially thought to myself hey, I've already got a couple plates, so I'll move up to a legit ballhead from the maker of the plates I already have (or, in your case, a bigger model with better features). What I realized was that I shouldn't let a couple of $15 plates decide a $200+ head purchase.

Whatever you end up with, you have to keep the thread upto speed!