Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Where did you buy it from? I can't find it available ANYWHERE and I really would like to pick one up a.s.a.p.

Will
I just bought it from someone in the Marketplace on monday.

05-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Beej80 Quote
Hi,
under the menu 'C' (Custom) there's an option (way down) where you can choose AF with remote (on/off). It's default 'off'. Turn that on, and the camera will go through the AF cycle and then trip the shutter.

That's on a K10D, atleast.

Regards,
Beej80
I checked that option on my K10 and I thought it was already on. I'll check again. So I take it that it works for you?
05-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Beej80 Quote
Hi,
under the menu 'C' (Custom) there's an option (way down) where you can choose AF with remote (on/off). It's default 'off'. Turn that on, and the camera will go through the AF cycle and then trip the shutter.

That's on a K10D, atleast.

Regards,
Beej80
OK I got it to work. AF with remote was already set, but the camera has to be in AF.S mode and mine was in AF.C mode.
05-18-2007, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
got it!

Well, what a surprise: Wolf Camera comes through. They had two in stock at $30 US. Drove right over, picked it up, and it works fine.

For those who are curious about this because they don't have the remote themselves already: The remote itself very small and very simple; it has nothing on it but a single, small button. Apparently there's a battery inside and nothing to configure on the remote. ON the K10D, there are two things to configure. First, you have to hit the Fn button and change the drive mode to one of the two wireless remote settings (instant, or 3 sec delay). That's required; the remote doesn't trigger the shutter otherwise. The other thing you do in the camera is optional: hit the Menu button, go to the C (custom) menu, go to about the third page of options to find "AF in remote control" and tell the camera whether you want it to focus automatically when you trigger the shutter via the remote.

Oh, and the remote does indeed fit inside the K10D grip very nicely.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper now. Thanks to everybody for the quick help.

Will

05-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #20

Anybody know if the third part remote (like the Opteka) will work just as well?
I have a third party remote (Jiansi RC-4). The Pentax shutter button works with the K10D, haven't tried any other function. It only takes one picture at a time, even in bracket mode (Does the Pentax remote automatically take 3/5 pictures in bracket mode?). It was about $10 (including shipping) from ebay, but I think most of the sellers ship from China or Hong Kong, so it may be hard to get quickly.
05-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

remote

Will, i bought one of these and it works like a charm.

eBay: Multi Remote Control for Canon Nikon Pentax Minolta O5A (item 200111018238 end time May-22-07 20:49:19 PDT)
05-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
ivoire,

Good to know - mainly for others who come into this thread later on. I've now got the Pentax remote and it works perfectly for me.

Will

05-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #23

Remote release

Can somebody please confirm that the remote will allow me to click the shutter immediately? How do you control the response of the camera to the remote, or is the control on the remote itself?
... Must you always focus manually in this situation?
Will
You can set the drive mode under the Function button to choose which you want, immediate release or 3 sec lag.
Re the manual focus it appears to be as you say. The problem seems to be that the remote does not allow a half press of the shutter release.
However, I have used the function with good results even in night shooting (city lights, etc). I have found that manual focus (I also shoot such material in manual mode lens in manual focus. Focus snaps in very positively and I confirm by checking the focus indicator in the viewfinder. No sweat! I also shoot such subjects in multi shot bracket mode and use Photoshop to merge the images into a high range image. Fantastic!
This was a cheaper option than the purchase of a professional tripod costing almost as much as the camera. Same resuly but not so portable.
Ron McDermott
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #24

Palm Option

There is also a freeware Pentax wireless remote program available for Palm operating systems. In addition to actually having the Pentax wireless remote, I have the Pentax Remote Control Emulator Ver 0.1 installed on my Tungsten. It works just fine (and did I mention it's freeware).

Larry in Dallas
06-22-2007, 03:07 AM   #25

I bought the Pentax remote at the time for my istDS. Then while researching the K10D I was totally confused about what remote it took, what it was called, where I could find stock, etc. Decided not to bother, bought the K10D and wouldn't you know it - the istDS remote works! BONUS!
06-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
The camera can be triggered from both directions (from the front of it as well as from it's back) with the wireless control. You can't use it conveniantly for bulb shots.
Not for very long ones - but the shutter stays open for as long as you hold the button down. I've taken 30 second exposures this way, and it's not really a problem.

Now, one of the consumer reviews says that the remote can be used either with delay or for immediate response. That sounds more reasonable, but that reviewer seems not to have a K10D. Can somebody please confirm that the remote will allow me to click the shutter immediately?
This is correct. You can have it either immediate, or with a 3s delay with mirror lock up.

QuoteQuote:
How do you control the response of the camera to the remote, or is the control on the remote itself?
There are options for this in the Fn button menu. There is only the one button on the remote itself.

QuoteQuote:
The other issue that has me a tad confused is a comment from another consumer reviewer to the effect that the remote doesn't focus, it just clicks the shutter. Is that correct?
Not entirely.

There's an option in the Custom menu ('AF in remote control') that lets you specify whether it should focus first or not when you press the remote.

Incidentally, the battery in the Remote Control F is perfectly replaceable, contrary to what it says in the K10D manual. Unscrew the tiny screws holding it together, and it's just a standard little flat cell (can't remember the dimensions offhand).

Edit: sorry to repeat some others' answers.
06-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
This works a treat! I now have a VERY cheap remote! Pretty cool...

Although it's not gona fit in the battery grip... i think it's actually bigger than the battery grip!
07-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi folks,

I decided to check out what options I had regarding the infrared remote for my K10D. Paying $30 dollars for a remote seemed a bit much, particularly considering the many other Pentax things I would like to spend my hard earned money on.

So I decided to tinker with the universal remotes I have at home. After a few unsuccessful tries, I gave up. None of the codes listed online worked, and doing the "Search code" function didn't work either. My father-in-law, genius, suggested maybe the remotes were too old to have the right code.

So while out shopping with the Ms, I happened to go to the local discount sell-it-all-once-it's-been-discontinued type items and saw this little GE universal remote (RM24948) being sold for $3.99.

As you can see, it has very few buttons and it's small by multi-device remote control standards.

After a few minutes of searching and playing with the code-search function, the camera fired a shot. but I hit the wrong button and the code was lost, so I searched for it again and sure enough. Fires consitently!

Not only does it fire with the power button, but also with the volume button, up and down, and mute. This makes it much easier for us big handed people to find the right button! Now I have an IR remote for my K10D that is less likely to get lost than the miniature Pentax model. If I do lose it or break it, no big deal. The remote, thanks to the fact that it has no numbers, doesn't necessarily scream out TV remote.

I ran some tests indoors, and was able to activate the camera from 20+ feet away, and even bounce the IR from a surface at closer distances. Tomorrow I'll park the camera next to our birdfeeder and see how well it works in sunlight.

EDIT: Remote code 0256

Last edited by George Lama; 07-06-2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to include remote code :-P
07-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Well, what a surprise: Wolf Camera comes through. They had two in stock at $30 US. Drove right over, picked it up, and it works fine.

For those who are curious about this because they don't have the remote themselves already: The remote itself very small and very simple; it has nothing on it but a single, small button. Apparently there's a battery inside and nothing to configure on the remote. ON the K10D, there are two things to configure. First, you have to hit the Fn button and change the drive mode to one of the two wireless remote settings (instant, or 3 sec delay). That's required; the remote doesn't trigger the shutter otherwise. The other thing you do in the camera is optional: hit the Menu button, go to the C (custom) menu, go to about the third page of options to find "AF in remote control" and tell the camera whether you want it to focus automatically when you trigger the shutter via the remote.

Oh, and the remote does indeed fit inside the K10D grip very nicely.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper now. Thanks to everybody for the quick help.

Will
Good to know Will.

Thanks for the information ... will be looking into getting one of these remotes ... will come in handy.

How instant is the shutter release after AF has completed???? Or do you use the 3 second delay for the shutter release????
07-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #30
Inactive Account

RCA Multi-function TV Remote (CRCU303) for K10D

Frogroast, thanks for the great tip on using a multi-function TV remote. Since I couldn't readily find the GE remote you suggested I thought I'd let everyone know the similar mini RCA remote also works. In Canada, it can be purchased at Canadian Tire for $10. RCA remote appears to be approx. same size as the GE remote. Use TV Code 055. The power, mute, volume up and channel up buttons trigger the shutter. Remote uses 2 AAA cells.

Doug.