Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
which remote for the Pentax K10D?

I have a K10D. I want to get a remote control for it. Click here to see what I get when I search on Amazon.com for "pentax K10D remote." They list four different items. I'm a bit confused by the choices.

I don't really want to get a remote that involves a cable. But I don't really want to end up having two remotes. I seem to recall that the K10D has a sensor for the remote in the back of the camera as well as the front, and if that's the case, then I'd simply like to have a wireless remote. I don't need the remote to do anything but click the shutter.

The wireless remote made by Pentax is listed at a cost of $4. That seems unreasonably low. If it's so cheap, why didn't Pentax just include it with the camera?

There's a third-party wireless remote from Opteka (never heard of 'em) that claims to work with the K10D and a bunch of other Pentax models and which looks like it can control zoom and other things. Really?

In case it matters, here's what I want the remote for. (1) Family group shots where I have to be in the group. (2) Tripod shots where I'm really trying not to touch/move the camera. Using the 2 sec timer just doesn't work when you're shooting kids or animals or, well, human beings. I want to be able to snap the shutter NOW. But I want to be able to put my glasses on and look at the subject directly without hiding behind the camera.

Of course I might find other uses for the remote in the future and if you want to warn me about them, I'm eager to hear. But those are the two problems that are on my mind right now.

Incidental question: If a wireless remote works, and is cheaper to boot, why would ANYBODY use a cable release?

Be grateful for suggestions and guidance here.

Will

05-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I have both the wireless remote and the one with wire:

The camera can be triggered from both directions (from the front of it as well as from it's back) with the wireless control. You can't use it conveniantly for bulb shots.

The wired one can get locked in "expose" position making for conveniant long exposures. It can be used together with the 2 sec MLU function.

I use the wireless remote more often but the wired remote has it's advantages.

hth somewhat,
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can a wired remote handle autofocus and exposure?

My Pentax Remote F (wireless) for my K100D just has a two state button that tells the camera, "take a picture now!" (or three pictures in bracket mode). Unfortunately, since it uses IR signals to communicate with the camera, you can't hold the button down.

I assume a wired remote would have the same functionality as the built in shutter release button so you can hold it down halfway to auto focus and set exposure, in addition to locking it down for long exposures.
05-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went to Pentax's site looking for more info. Remarkably unhelpful. They list several remotes but as far as I can tell, the site doesn't say which one goes with which cameras.

Then I remembered that there's a section in the back of the K10D user's guide that lists all the accessories. Went there and I see now that they recommend the remote model "F". On Amazon, the F remote is shown here. The price is a more believable $33 US. So never mind that link I included in my original post to Amazon. The $4 item is the Pentax remote "C". Apparently not what I want.

In the specs on Amazon's page for the remote F, there are a couple of confusing bits of info. It says in one place that the remote causes the shutter to be released 3 seconds later. Now, one of the consumer reviews says that the remote can be used either with delay or for immediate response. That sounds more reasonable, but that reviewer seems not to have a K10D. Can somebody please confirm that the remote will allow me to click the shutter immediately? How do you control the response of the camera to the remote, or is the control on the remote itself?

The other issue that has me a tad confused is a comment from another consumer reviewer to the effect that the remote doesn't focus, it just clicks the shutter. Is that correct? By no means a deal-breaker. I'd just like to know. If I'm using the remote, the camera is almost certainly on a tripod (or a beanbag or something similar). And in that case, I can focus in advance. Must you always focus manually in this situation? I mean, I'd expect to be able to use auto-focus not just to set the focus but also the exposure; and then use the remote to trip the shutter. Any reason that would not work?

Will

05-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
The camera can be triggered from both directions (from the front of it as well as from it's back) with the wireless control. You can't use it conveniantly for bulb shots.

The wired one can get locked in "expose" position making for conveniant long exposures. It can be used together with the 2 sec MLU function.
Thanks, Jonas, very helpful. I have never done a bulb shot. Will one day, I'm sure, and I can see that the cable release has its purpose. I think I'm going to get the infrared remote to start with and add the cable later on.

Will
05-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Will, if you press the FN button you'll see the different shooting modes in the top row. There are two choices available for the remote control F: One for firing instantly, one for firing after three seconds.
The remote doesn't do anything else but trig the shutter.

EDIT:
I forgot this:
QuoteQuote:
If I'm using the remote, the camera is almost certainly on a tripod (or a beanbag or something similar). And in that case, I can focus in advance. Must you always focus manually in this situation? I mean, I'd expect to be able to use auto-focus not just to set the focus but also the exposure; and then use the remote to trip the shutter. Any reason that would not work?
Well, that is exactly how it works, at least if you press the AE-L button. If you don't the exposure might change if you change anything in the setup.
05-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Will, if you press the FN button you'll see the different shooting modes in the top row. There are two choices available for the remote control F: One for firing instantly, one for firing after three seconds.
The remote doesn't do anything else but trig the shutter.
Ah, excellent - make sense. Thanks, Jonas.

Now if I could figure out where the heck to BUY one of these thingamajigs! They seem to be out of stock everywhere. I checked Amazon, B&H and Adorama. No luck so far. Pentax's web site is really unhelpful and doesn't tell me if the item is in stock or not, so I'm reluctant to buy there. Amazon predicts that they'll have it in late June. But I'd really like to have this before we go on vacation at the start of June. Anybody know where I can find one of these?

Really, the folks at Pentax need to get down the factories and start kicking some assembly line butt. Well, kick whoever is the cause of these product shortages. This isn't the first time I've had cash in hand wanting to buy something and been unable to find it.

Anybody know if the third part remote (like the Opteka) will work just as well?

Will

05-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Thanks, Jonas, very helpful. I have never done a bulb shot. Will one day, I'm sure, and I can see that the cable release has its purpose. I think I'm going to get the infrared remote to start with and add the cable later on.

Will
No problem. I started the other way round. The infrared remote is a little more conveniant to use but not as versatile. The cable release stays at place which also can be a reason to like it - I tend to forget where I put things and that infrared control is tiny.

You probably have a remote for your TV set... Mine doesn't work with the camera but you can try and see if your one does.
05-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #9

good reason to buy a Grip :-)
then the f remote can be stored in your grip ;-)

Enrico
05-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #10

Will:

It is nice that the wireless remote can be stored inside the battery grip. It is pretty small. I noticed that price at B&H and Adorama is around $10 less than Amazon which I find to be unusual. I bought mine at a local camera store for $29. I didn't know about the time exposure in the bulb setting until Jonas mentioned it. I just tried it and the shutter stays open until you release the button.

I have the wired remote also but I got it before I realized that the wireless remote could activate the shutter from the rear of the canera which the Ds won't do.

John
05-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

make your own wired / wireless remote

make your own wired remote

make your own wireless remote
05-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
Clever, and thanks for the links. But I'd prefer to have someone else make it for me. Saves me time to take photos.

Will
05-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrico L Quote
good reason to buy a Grip :-)
then the f remote can be stored in your grip ;-)

Enrico
Wow! I just got my "F" remote in the mail today, and I've been playing with it ever since. I didn't know you could store it in the grip until I just read this...THANKS!! This remote is going to come in very handy. The only negative is that you can't AF with the remote. It only releases the shutter. But I'll live!
05-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr CJ Quote
Wow! I just got my "F" remote in the mail today, and I've been playing with it ever since. I didn't know you could store it in the grip until I just read this...THANKS!! This remote is going to come in very handy. The only negative is that you can't AF with the remote. It only releases the shutter. But I'll live!
Where did you buy it from? I can't find it available ANYWHERE and I really would like to pick one up a.s.a.p.

Will
05-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr CJ Quote
The only negative is that you can't AF with the remote. It only releases the shutter. But I'll live!
Hi,
under the menu 'C' (Custom) there's an option (way down) where you can choose AF with remote (on/off). It's default 'off'. Turn that on, and the camera will go through the AF cycle and then trip the shutter.

That's on a K10D, atleast.

Regards,
Beej80