Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Battery Grip Hong Kongian

Anybody have any experience with these Hong Kongian grips, price is right, I would rather get a pentax version but the price is way out of line IMO, (E-bay item) $44.90 free shipping
You are bidding a Pro Battery Grip for Pentax K10D K20D, which has the same function as original battery grip. It can hold one D-LI50 battery to offer double-length shooting time - one in the camera body and one in the grip. Vertical shutter release button on the Battery Grip makes shooting with the camera in a vertical position much easier, adding stability to the camera

Use the D-L150 rechargeable Li-ion battery with the grip
The camera can be used with the battery grip attached if there is a battery in either the camera or the grip
One Pentax remote control E and one SD memory card can also be stored in the battery grip
Shutter with half-press function
This Grip has Shutter with half-press function

Last edited by jcool; 08-29-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: price
08-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

One thing never cease to amaze me. People spending about a thousand dollars for a camera, and then trying to save a few bucks buying second class battery grips or unknown SD cards and the like. There are some reputable suppliers of after market equipment like Tamron and Sigma, but why take a chance on unknown suppliers when you can damage a camera worth so much money. More than likely, the grip you want to get will work, but if it causes problem to your camera, do you think the warraty will cover the damages? Do you think the grip manufacturer will pay for camera damages caused by his grip? For myself, I'll stick to the Pentax grip. My cameras are worth more than the few dollars I'd save with an unknown grip.
08-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this may be true flyer....

but like myself maybe we cannot afford the pentax gear!
or they dont make one! like the k100D for instance!

after all is just a battery and as long as its the same spec as the pentax batteery then in theory should NOT cause issues!

we dont all have big budgets!
08-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't mind using Tamron or Sigma lenses, or a Minolta NP-400 battery. Those company have a long history, and we know they are "reliable" suppliers of equipment. But, when it comes to something like a grip, which has to communicate properly with the body, I would be very careful about choosing an accessory that comes from a party that might not have "reverse engineered" the components properly.

08-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I do see your point....

I have a Travor grip for the K100D, if pentax did one then i would buy pentax, even if i had to save a long time to get it!

but never had an issue with the travor, and when available i will buy a travor for the K-m as pentax will not make one!

but of course cheap components are not always good!
a friend was using as was I, alkline batteries for a while and got poor performence!
08-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest that the tighter your budget, the less you want to buy something like this twice: while I haven't heard complaints about the generics, the fact is the price difference just doesn't add up to worth risking the cost of a cheapie, or certainly not an expensive camera over. You'll be touching the thing every time you pick up your camera: may as well wait and save a little longer if you have to. That's what I did.
08-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
yea I kinda thought that way and appreciate, the input, I just thought that maybe someone would just say how wonderful they are and operate better than Pentax yadayada, but as Flyer said what if something happens to my K20 because of it, just not worth it, so I will save up and go the llooooong route, with Kids in college and getting divorced, Lets see,,,$2.00 a week,,,,, times......... heheh

09-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcool Quote
yea I kinda thought that way and appreciate, the input, I just thought that maybe someone would just say how wonderful they are and operate better than Pentax yadayada, but as Flyer said what if something happens to my K20 because of it, just not worth it, so I will save up and go the llooooong route, with Kids in college and getting divorced, Lets see,,,$2.00 a week,,,,, times......... heheh
Sorry about your divorce. Just recently finallized myself.
09-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
I do see your point....

I have a Travor grip for the K100D, if pentax did one then i would buy pentax, even if i had to save a long time to get it!

but never had an issue with the travor, and when available i will buy a travor for the K-m as pentax will not make one!

but of course cheap components are not always good!
a friend was using as was I, alkline batteries for a while and got poor performence!
How does that grip do for you?
09-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Grip works very well and never let me down yet!
good for upto 1200 shots depending upon cam settings!

only thing that could have made it better would be a second shutter release and/or eneloop type rechargeable cells.
it will run its self down if left on the cam for 3-4 weeks without use!
even if off!
other than that great item and i find it make the cam better to hold when im shooting out door motor car shots!