Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Searching For A Really Good Tripod

Now hunting for a tripod. I've tried out units from the price range of up to $400AUD and so far been VERY disappointed, i've found them to be still somewhat flimsy. So clearly I want to get something decent.

As I have a K7 I want a tripod that's going to be useful for video as it is for stills.

I tried out a Manfrotto 190XDB + 128RC which had really nice smooth motion but just still didn't feel too sturdy.

I'm not fussed with the cost as I want to make sure I get a good quality tripod.

08-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Damn Brit

There's plenty of reviews in this forum, try looking at the top of the page for a start; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/45466-tripod-reviews.html

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-31-2009 at 12:31 AM.
08-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
There's plenty of reviews in this forum, try looking at the top of the page for a start; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/45466-tripod-reviews.html
awesome thanks alot
08-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found a lot of new tripods are not flimsy, but too light and prone to vibration.

My solution was to visit pawn shops and used camera stores looking for old (late 1970's) tripods, and put a new Monfretto 486RC2 ball head and quick release plate

a bit heavy but solid

09-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi C.W Tsorotes

Re your observation:

QuoteQuote:
I tried out a Manfrotto 190XDB + 128RC which had really nice smooth motion but just still didn't feel too sturdy.
This more-or-less bears out my own experience.....

QuoteQuote:
I briefly tried the Manfrotto190XPROB, but regrettably it's extended height is noticeably shorter than the 055 and I remain unconvinced about it's overall rigidity, when this tripod is fully extended.
I now own two tripods, a Giottos 9351 MTL for travelling - see personal mini-review below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/267560-post1.html

and here's some links to Giottos site:

http://www.giottos.com/MT-9.htm

http://www.giottos.com/MH-3.htm

and also an older Manfrotto 055 for ultimate stability, which I can sling in the back of my vehicle when I don't expect to have to lug it too far.
Your conundrum is a common one - should you buy a really sturdy tripod, only to gradually find yourself leaving it at home more often due to it's sheer weight/bulk etc ? Ultimately you must decide your personal priorities !

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Incidentally, we passed though Geelong last year en route towards the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide and spent an enjoyable time watching the yachts sailing around the harbour - it's a nice little spot !

Last edited by Confused; 09-02-2009 at 03:49 PM.
09-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #6

For the not enough weight/stability problem,
I have a trianglular sac that attaches to all three legs which is used as a temporary pouch - put something that you might need quick access or with some weight and voila! problem solved.
09-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have found a lot of new tripods are not flimsy, but too light and prone to vibration.

My solution was to visit pawn shops and used camera stores looking for old (late 1970's) tripods
+1
I found an older surveyors wooden tripod and adapted it to a standard thread fitting so I can fit any head.
Sturdy though heavy.
(now all I need is an old golf trundler to carry it in, and maybe adapt that for mounting as a bicycle trailer. and then.....)

09-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't plan on having to carry it around and some extra weight, there are some bargains to be had in aluminum tripods such as Induro and Manfrotto. If you're shooting video, a ballhead with independent pan may be extremely useful.

I hadn't even taken this into account when I picked up a DM series Induro ball head, as I occasionally work on large scale stiched panos, but I can see the independent drag control and horizontal panning very useful when shooting video.
09-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a Velbon 200R Sherpa. It's extremely sturdy, but there is no ball head.

You control the side leveling by a separate knob. I have no complaints and it's extremely well built.

Just an FYI as I know Manfrottos are great and all, but this one has served me just great. (plus you don't have to buy the legs + ball separately).

The arm is a good enough length to offer a consistent and accurate panning if you're looking to shoot some video with it.

It cost me around $130 CAD.