Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #1

Manfrotto tripod and head

I don't know what to buy so any advice is welcome.
I looked: 190XPROB and 190XB, and heads: 391RC2 and 484RC2.

This is my first tripod and it would be used for general purposes, portraits, landscapes, night shots, no for macro.

Last edited by Dr. Beast; 08-30-2009 at 02:42 PM.
08-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr. Beast Quote
I looked: 190XPROB and 190XB, and heads: 391RC2 and 484RC2.

This is my first tripod and it would be used for general purposes, portraits, landscapes, night shots, no for macro.
I have the 190X and am super happy with it. I am not much of a ballhead fan-i feel more comfortable with a three way head.
08-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good choices there.
I have its predecessor the 190 (non-X) and am also super happy with it.
Though unlike Ari, I'm more of a fan of the ballhead for ease of manipulation. My ballhead is the 486RC2, a step up from the 484 but a necessary one IMO. It's able to support a little more weight which becomes important if your cam's fitted with a grip + heavy lens like the 16-50 or 70-200.
08-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What is your budget?

08-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I have the 190X and am super happy with it. I am not much of a ballhead fan-i feel more comfortable with a three way head.
I like ease of manipulation so I looked at ballhead.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good choices there.
I have its predecessor the 190 (non-X) and am also super happy with it.
Though unlike Ari, I'm more of a fan of the ballhead for ease of manipulation. My ballhead is the 486RC2, a step up from the 484 but a necessary one IMO. It's able to support a little more weight which becomes important if your cam's fitted with a grip + heavy lens like the 16-50 or 70-200.
I have Pentax K-m (see signature) and no extra heavy lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
What is your budget?
$300. These two combinations are in my country about $300.
09-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought the 190XProB and the 484RC2 head. You may not need that ball head now with the Km and no long lenses, but you won't be throwing your money away with the 484RC2 head: if you get the bug (you already have it, probably) one or more long lenses are in your future.

As for the tripod: it is extraordinary because the centre post can be swung out horizontally, and the legs spread out flat, for ground level shooting. That is an excellent feature whether you shoot macros or not.
09-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
I don't shoot macros s I don't know if I really need XPROB. Are the ballheads enought precise in positioning? I know that three way are.

09-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Lots of possibilities

I have the 190X PROB w/ a Giotto Ball Head. I like it, but probably would reconsider the ball head.
09-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

$300. These two combinations are in my country about $300.
That's a difficult decision to get good tripod for such money.
Try FEISOL EUROPE - Carbon Tripods, Monopods, Ballheads
Those tripods will be a little over your budget, however they are way better than tripods you're lookig at now.

p.s. I envy you that you're living in Croatia, I've been there a couple of times for vacations... Southern Croatia Adriatic seashore is a paradise for photographers. Spectacular landsapes, neat white houses with red roofs anf flowers on their windows... Split, Dubrovnik... Damn, I want to go there again!
09-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Personally, I think the 055XPROB would be a definite consideration if you want a solid unit with extra height. I'm only 5'8 and while I liked the 190XPROB from looking at it in the store for the smaller size it also has more flex in the legs, the 055 is a tank; Also a plus when you live in the windiest province in Canada. That being said, the 055 isn't a lightweight when it comes to backpacking. The only thing I'd get besides is a Carbon Fiber set of legs as the 055 is cold on the hands come winter.

As for the head, I wouldn't consider anything but a Manfrotto 222 (Bogen 3265) joystick grip action ball head. Super quick to change positions with one hand, a joy to use. I've managed shots with this I would have missed otherwise, especially with close up semi-macro work. Holds my 50-135 with no issues.
09-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
That's a difficult decision to get good tripod for such money.
Try FEISOL EUROPE - Carbon Tripods, Monopods, Ballheads
Those tripods will be a little over your budget, however they are way better than tripods you're lookig at now.

p.s. I envy you that you're living in Croatia, I've been there a couple of times for vacations... Southern Croatia Adriatic seashore is a paradise for photographers. Spectacular landsapes, neat white houses with red roofs anf flowers on their windows... Split, Dubrovnik... Damn, I want to go there again!
Thanx, I'll check this tripods. Yep, it's a really great place for photographers.

Here is a view from my bedroom.

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Personally, I think the 055XPROB would be a definite consideration if you want a solid unit with extra height. I'm only 5'8 and while I liked the 190XPROB from looking at it in the store for the smaller size it also has more flex in the legs, the 055 is a tank; Also a plus when you live in the windiest province in Canada. That being said, the 055 isn't a lightweight when it comes to backpacking. The only thing I'd get besides is a Carbon Fiber set of legs as the 055 is cold on the hands come winter.

As for the head, I wouldn't consider anything but a Manfrotto 222 (Bogen 3265) joystick grip action ball head. Super quick to change positions with one hand, a joy to use. I've managed shots with this I would have missed otherwise, especially with close up semi-macro work. Holds my 50-135 with no issues.
055XPROB is a bit heavy for backpacking and carbon fiber tripods are over my budget, Bogen 3265 also.
09-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
Finally I bought 190XB + 486RC2 + MBAG70, everything from Manfrotto.