Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Ok, here's the crazy solution:
Put wheels on your tripod and tow it.
Actually, Gary, I was considering buying a pull behind cart. Ironic you should suggest what you did. Ditched that idea as they are quite a bit more expensive than a bunji cord and a backpack.

>Chariot Child Carriers - Bike Trailer Shop

08-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Actually, Gary, I was considering buying a pull behind cart. Ironic you should suggest what you did. Ditched that idea as they are quite a bit more expensive than a bunji cord and a backpack.

>Chariot Child Carriers - Bike Trailer Shop
Steal one, just make sure there isn't a baby on board.
08-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Buy an old rolling golf cart to pull behind the bike.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-31-2009 at 09:59 PM.
08-31-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
How is that going to help? The golf cart has no way to attach to be able to pull it, plus there is no bed to hold anything.

08-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

How is that going to help? The golf cart has no way to attach to be able to pull it, plus there is no bed to hold anything.
It would be a DIY project. A $25 rear seat post bike rack, a drill, and Coupler Safety Pin

Just drill vertical holes in the handle of the cart and at the end of the rack for the safety pin to slide into to couple the cart to the rack.

I don't know if this will confuse things or not, but if you use your imagination a little, this photo might give an idea of how the golf cart would work. Where the golf cart connects to the rack would probably be further back, but the idea is the same, just a pivot point connection.

If you didn't want to just bungee cord to the cart itself, you probably could find an old golf bag at thrift store to mount on the golf cart. Just make sure it doesn't have dividers.

edit: removed link to carrier. It wasn't a carrier, it was a rack for a $400 carrier. Golf cart is going to be cheaper.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-02-2009 at 08:29 AM.
09-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ty-raps on the bike frame tubes will work

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
watch out for bunji cords on the bike frame, they won;t hold the tripod in line easily. Maybe hanging under the cross bar of a men's frame, but no where else. But here is an idea, what about under the handlebars? out of the way (assuming it clears the grips, gear changers and brake levers)

when you ger it figured, I'd love to see a photo of the bike
Lowell, the way around that is to use ty-raps tightly around the bike frame tubes holding larger ty-raps in a loop arrangement. You could then thread the bungee cords thu the loops of the larger ty-raps. The ty-raps will be tight enough not to slip, know that for a fact, we use ty-raps in certain instances to secure some cabling on subway cars and they work perfectly well, and even in the extreme conditions of the NYC subway system don't need replacing for 3 or 4 inspection cycles (about 50K to 100K miles).

NaCl(if photo lady can pedal 50K miles she should enter the Tour de France )H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 09-01-2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: grammar
09-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Russell, that is just a bit more elaborate for me to even consider rearranging those pieces to make them work. I don't have the tools nor the inclination to take on this project. I wanted something a bit more simple. And as I don't have a bike rack and don't intend to buy one, that's another "ain't gonna do it" situation. But thanks for going to all that trouble to post what you thought would work.

Na, Thanks for the ty-raps suggestion. I have some of those here, used when doing computer work to tie computer cables up for better air flow.

I have so far ridden about 20 miles, so I don't see myself in the near future riding in the "Tour de France," although, it would be nice if I could tour France on a bike.

09-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Rear bike racks can be picked up quite inexpensively. These are regular items found in garage sales. Side panniers off a rack is the best way to carry stuff on a bike. You want your center of gravity as low as possible and even as possible on each side. A tow behind kids seat/trailer would work nice. New they are expensive but again they are regular items found in garage sales as people want to get rid of them after their kids grow up a little. THey would be much more likely to be found in garage sales than the cart and easily modified to carry what you want.
09-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #24
D W
Veteran Member

I agree that for off road riding strapping photo gear to the bike is not a good idea.

I ride around on paved roads and trail and I have not have any issues with panniers.

You don't need to buy the expensive hardcore cyclist panniers. Just something to slip you padded camera bag/case into. Just strap down the tripod on the rack and make sure the weight of the load on both sides are equal.
09-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks reeftool. I was thinking kids cart too. I'll watch newspaper and garage sales for one. This I can pull that behind my new bike and I think will work better than panniers/saddle bags. Btw, Walmart has two carts in stock. One for $99 and one for $119. Not a bad price for a brand new one. I've seen them online for nearly $400.

How do you keep panniers from interferring with back wheel and spokes?
09-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If you are going to attach the tripod to the bike somehow, make sure that the bungees or whatever do not impair the movement of any cables or levers. The tripod is likely to shift a little over bumps and stuff, so make sure that it's not near any moving parts - pedals, spokes, chains, wheels, etc... Poorly secured, and the moving tripod can cause some serious harm.

And if it's 22" long and you try to put it in a backpack, there's a chance that it may interfere with your helmet, or worse, be anywhere close to your neck or head in even a minor spill.

The safest way is probably on a rear rack. The standard racks have two mounting points at the seat cluster - where the seat meets the bicycle frame - and one on either side of the bike by the axle of the rear wheel. The struts that go from the lower mounting points to the rack itself helps to keep stuff away from the spokes of the rear wheel. Here's an example: bike'n'shoot on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is a newer kind of rack that mounts in just one place - to the tube that the seat is connected to. From there the rack cantilevers back and floats over the rear wheel. This kind is much easier to use and can quickly be moved from one bike to the next. This would be a nice platform to bungie a tripod too.

Hope this helps.
09-02-2009, 05:25 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If you are going to attach the tripod to the bike somehow, make sure that the bungees or whatever do not impair the movement of any cables or levers. The tripod is likely to shift a little over bumps and stuff, so make sure that it's not near any moving parts - pedals, spokes, chains, wheels, etc... Poorly secured, and the moving tripod can cause some serious harm.

And if it's 22" long and you try to put it in a backpack, there's a chance that it may interfere with your helmet, or worse, be anywhere close to your neck or head in even a minor spill.

The safest way is probably on a rear rack. The standard racks have two mounting points at the seat cluster - where the seat meets the bicycle frame - and one on either side of the bike by the axle of the rear wheel. The struts that go from the lower mounting points to the rack itself helps to keep stuff away from the spokes of the rear wheel. Here's an example: bike'n'shoot on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is a newer kind of rack that mounts in just one place - to the tube that the seat is connected to. From there the rack cantilevers back and floats over the rear wheel. This kind is much easier to use and can quickly be moved from one bike to the next. This would be a nice platform to bungie a tripod too.

Hope this helps.

your shot illustrates what I was suggesting. I have attached a link to the exact one I have on my mountain bike $20 CDN.

Super Cycle Alloy Rear Rack | Canadian Tire
09-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #28

I'm guessing the golf cart suggestion was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but I want to offer a caution about pulling anything behind your bike that isn't intended to be behind a bike, because bike trailers are designed not to tip over as the bike banks for corners or even if the bike is horizontal.

returnsforsale.com sometimes has trailers that are deeply discounted.
09-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #29
smf
Pentaxian

Here's the spelling I've seen most often: bungee
09-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks reeftool. I was thinking kids cart too. I'll watch newspaper and garage sales for one. This I can pull that behind my new bike and I think will work better than panniers/saddle bags. Btw, Walmart has two carts in stock. One for $99 and one for $119. Not a bad price for a brand new one. I've seen them online for nearly $400.

How do you keep panniers from interferring with back wheel and spokes?
Panniers can get into the spokes. I have/had a nice pair of leather saddlebags for my motorcycle that the wheel burned through. Most rear racks have a mounting bracket that attaches to the axle and that usually is enough to keep the panniers out of the spokes. For carrying camera gear, the extra padding you would put on the inside of the bag would probably hold them in shape and the support bracket for the rack should keep them out of the spokes.