Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Panniers can get into the spokes. I have/had a nice pair of leather saddlebags for my motorcycle that the wheel burned through. Most rear racks have a mounting bracket that attaches to the axle and that usually is enough to keep the panniers out of the spokes. For carrying camera gear, the extra padding you would put on the inside of the bag would probably hold them in shape and the support bracket for the rack should keep them out of the spokes.
Well, that sounds like a rack would work for the tripod. I would not put my cameras and lenses on a rack. Too much bouncing back there for those things. And I can't afford Panniers, so I'll have to get a back pack for the camera equipment.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to count this thread resolved now.

09-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

thread solved (I agree with the tripod on the rack, camera in backpack on you) but thought I'd share a tale...

As kids we used to tow our golf buggies (with clubs) to the nearby golf course (about 2miles) with our 10spd 'racers'. It was even at the end of a dirt road! We just tied the buggy handle (upside down to create some extra clearance at the other end of the buggy) to the bikes pack rack (similar to the one linked above) using an Occy strap (bungee cord). Had the occasional problem where you'd go over a bump and the golf bag would jump up and out of it's sitting position. A couple of more Occy straps around usually fixed that. Had a steep hill to climb on the way back and it was hard work!
09-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #33

Okay I'm too late to chime in, but anyway my solution is to use the kata 3n1 sling/backpack with the added tripod holder. Not the cheapest but not a too costly way of doing it, and maybe someday i'll master riding and shooting from a bike at the same time (when it's in sling mode of course).
09-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not sure that would work either David, my tripod is pretty heavy.

I'm getting the new bike this week, and buying the rack for the back. Add some bunjee cords to that purchase. For now I can still carry the one camera and lens around my neck, with the strap across my shoulder and back. Next month I'll get the backpack.

09-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'm not sure that would work either David, my tripod is pretty heavy.

I'm getting the new bike this week, and buying the rack for the back. Add some bunjee cords to that purchase. For now I can still carry the one camera and lens around my neck, with the strap across my shoulder and back. Next month I'll get the backpack.
go for a small lowepro back pack,

avoid camera around your neck unless you want a sore neck, or worse. I almost strangled myself once cross country skiing, when I went down. Back pack came over my head anc camera somehow wound up the other way
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell, I was considering the Lowepro. But my camera isn't just around my neck, my strap is actually across my right shoulder, then under my left arm. I couldn't ride if it was just around my neck, it would swing that way.