Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's what I need

I ride a bicycle to go out shooting. So far I have not been able to take my tripod for lack of a way to carry it easily. The bike is a woman's bike so there is no top cross bar or I'd use that.

I also need a backpack which I intend to buy after I buy the new digital.

Do they make such a contraption that I could carry my cameras and my tripod on my back?

Or do they make a contraption for easily carrying the tripod on the bike?

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful comments.

08-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

There are some pretty good tripod bags out there that you can wear over your back and you can get a large Pannier bag for your camera bag. If you have a rack, you can put the camera there. There are also some good backpacks that allow you to harness the tripod (depending on the size) on the outside of the bag. I strongly suggest you spend some good money on bags - it'll be worthwhile protection on your bike.
Here is something I've been looking at:
Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus Waterproof Bicycle Touring Panniers
Ortleib is one of the top brands in this market (and, it seems, biking is about as wallet draining a hobby as photography is).
A nice back pack with a tripod - holding option here:
Lowepro - DryZone Rover
You can strap the tripod down the center.
08-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
D W
Veteran Member

What I use is rear cycling rack with pannier on both side for gear/personal needs. Tripod strapped to top of rack.
08-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the help Ari and D W. However, these things are beyond my budget. And my bike doesn't have a rear rack.

I'm planning on buying a man's bike at the end of this month and I may just get a good backpack, and some velcro to attach the tripod to the top bar. My tripod is 21" closed down including the tripod head. If necessary I'll remove the head.

08-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

You could use pvc pipe and fashion a holder to attach to the bike using zip ties or hose clamps. Your bike has a bar that slants downward, just attach it to that.
08-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

couple of points to make here

first of all, a rear carrier for a bike is about $20-$40 depending on where you get it and what make it is. Bunji cords for strapping the tripod down are about $3 each so this should not break the bank.

As for carrying gear on the carrier or pannier bags, that is fine as long as it is not camera or lenses, because they can;t take the shock. Your body has to do that, so all camera and lenses go in the back pack.

as for backpack, plan to get the smallest possible, and make sure it puts the load as close to your body as possible, so your balance is not thrown off.
08-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
graphicgr8's thanks. I will consider your option but I think the pipe might have to be quite large around to fit my Bogen tripod inside, making that a cumbersome and would get in the way of my legs pumping peddles.

Lowell, your options seem more to my budget. I wouldn't even place my cameras on a rack. Like you said too much giggling around. Bunji cords. I was trying to remember what those were called, thanks.

And thanks about the suggestions on the back pack.

Everyone thanks for the help. I believe I'm going Lowell's suggestions. This is more feasible than expensive equipment, and closer to my budget.

08-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Why not just try attaching a bag strap to the tripod and carry it on your back?
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Why not just try attaching a bag strap to the tripod and carry it on your back?
you mean whre the camera backpack is?

I didn't suggest this because it may flop around a bit or interfere with the back pack. plus it adds weight higher up than she may want
08-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you mean whre the camera backpack is?

I didn't suggest this because it may flop around a bit or interfere with the back pack. plus it adds weight higher up than she may want
It's possible that can be worked around. It would depend on the weight (and collapsed length) of the tripod of course.
08-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think that would work, Gary. The tripod is quite heavy and collasped it's 22" with head. As I said above, I could remove the head, but the weight would still allow the tripod to swing and riding a bike would throw me off and possibly cause me to wreck. Pavement is hard.
08-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with you. I have a lowepro slingshot 3, very nice bag, and my tripod case has backpack style straps. I can wear both, and do, but I wouldn't even think of getting on a bicycle with it. It is very cumbersome and awkward, not to mention uncomfortable, but at least this way I can shoot while I'm hiking.
Is there some way you can lash the tripod to the diagonal down tube on your bicycle? Not talking about a pvc tube, just a carry bag like this one:
B189 Adorama Tripod Case Medium (25")
I think it could work, they also have a bit longer bag for a few dollars more. As long as it doesn't interfere with either peddaling or steering it might work.

NaCl(just a thought)H2O
08-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks NaClH2O for seeing that my way. I'm thinking about getting the tripod case and just using bunji cords like Lowell mentioned and lashing it to the vertical bar. The case will spare the tripod from scratches. And get me a backpack to carry camera and lenses.
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Thanks NaClH2O for seeing that my way. I'm thinking about getting the tripod case and just using bunji cords like Lowell mentioned and lashing it to the vertical bar. The case will spare the tripod from scratches. And get me a backpack to carry camera and lenses.
watch out for bunji cords on the bike frame, they won;t hold the tripod in line easily. Maybe hanging under the cross bar of a men's frame, but no where else. But here is an idea, what about under the handlebars? out of the way (assuming it clears the grips, gear changers and brake levers)

when you ger it figured, I'd love to see a photo of the bike
08-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
Damn Brit

Ok, here's the crazy solution:
Put wheels on your tripod and tow it.