Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Do you use the Katz Eye screen yourself? Have you any evidence it isn't a cut down K3 screen? If they made their own screens then why even have the distinctive Nikon 12mm circle used for 80/20 centre weighted metering?
I own and use the Katz Eye screen. I spoke on the telephone with Rachel Katz this time last year regarding the K3 connection and she assured me that while the K3 was the inspiration for her product, her screens were not made from them.

That leaves quite a bit of room for interpretation.

Steve

01-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The jinfinance screen works perfectly in my K20d--no shims. I think the K10d uses the same screen--someone correct me if I am wrong--thanks.
01-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
The jinfinance screen works perfectly in my K20d--no shims. I think the K10d uses the same screen--someone correct me if I am wrong--thanks.
The screens for the K10D , K20D *istD and *istDS are all interchangeable and the same size.

The K10D and K20D have one standard screen (XX-80), the *istD and Ds have a different one (XX-60). where the XX represent the grid options, 60 and 80 represent different screen designs in terms of the surface finish,

As for the accuracy, on my K10D as mentioned earlier, I believe it is spot on.

Photo below was taken today (it is also in the post your photos forum) focused on the wiskers. lens is a 200mm F3.5 stopped down to F5.6, shot from about 2 meters away so even at F5.6 DOF is minimal

01-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I will not submit a full write-up on this thread for reasons of brevity.

I found I definitely needed a shim with my (HK) double 45 split screen, and an extra modification to the screen's width to enable it to drop into the inlay in the viewfinder.

I did a few measurements... the existing copper shim in my camera was 0.35mm.

to summarise... I checked focus with a 28mm lens at closest distance, with the lens wide-open. It seemed the easiest way to exaggerate any error when trying out different shims.

Many plastic packages that are intended to be thrown away have good potential for use as a shim, rather than paper which may compress or absorb water vapour. I used a piece of white translucent acetate sheet.

This shim, at 0.24-0.25mm gave an excellent result. I cut the U shape out (to match the original shim pattern) with a surgical knife. Its fiddly to place the piece of plastic shim and making sure it stays there as you struggle with the screen and clip.

This modification has worked extremely well so far. I'm not suggesting all cameras need reshimming, it may be the 3rd party screens don't sit right in the finder recess properly, tolerances in either respect are stressed, or that the screens are easily misinstalled. Certainly my camera body had a pre-existing error which required this mod.

Hope this info is of help.

Adam

Last edited by dc2light; 01-17-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added extra information and conclusion
02-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have one of those. It's off. I'm not exactly clear how you fixed it, even with that explanation. I don't suppose you could give us photos? Where does the shim go?
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Third to say the JinFinance screen fits without any modification - only thing to beware of is that damn sticky protection foil. Screen attracts dust like I don't know what but is's annoying.
02-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
Third to say the JinFinance screen fits without any modification
And I'm a fourth.

02-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
I did not need any shims with the Travor.
Same here. (K-x though, same screen as K100D, K200D, K-m).
02-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

How carefully have you tested it though?