Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which Chinese Focus Screen Requires no Shims? (for K10D)

I need to know pretty much what's said in the title The screen I bought before (I think I chose some random seller) required a lot of shims (post-it notes ) to correct - and only for the split image; I'm relying more and more on microprism collar, and that'd be a huge pain to correct with shims!

Also, how good are double-split (the ones with two lines across) focus screens? In terms of ease of focus compared with normal split-screens...

Thanks!

09-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did not need any shims with the Travor.
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just ordered the Jinfinance's 2-split version since someone in the beginners corner said they don't need shims. Will hope for the best!
09-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jinfinance for my K10D was spot on

No shims.

Also note I swapped screens between K10D and *istD (pentax screens) and neither camera needed shims

09-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The best screen imo is the one from focusingscreen.com in Taiwan. They use the Nikon K3 screen (same as what Katzeye uses) at a fraction of the cost. No shims required and the screen is even better than an early version of the Katzeye that I've come across.
09-09-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Jinfinance for my K10D was spot on

No shims.
Same here!
09-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The best screen imo is the one from focusingscreen.com in Taiwan. They use the Nikon K3 screen (same as what Katzeye uses) at a fraction of the cost. No shims required and the screen is even better than an early version of the Katzeye that I've come across.
Let's be accurate, the Katz Eye is not a cut down K3 screen although it is modeled after one.

Let's be fair, the FocusingScreen K3 is a large fraction of the cost of a Katz Eye.

Those two things said, I have two FocusingScreen screens in my K20D's. One K3 w/grid and an Ec-B w/grid.

I also have a JinFinance in my GS-1S.

09-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I got several Minolta X-700 screen (OEM from China) really cheap, tried to make one for my K-7 (before I ordered the K3 one). The first try wasn't successful 'cause I cracked that thing I'm on the second one now. Still got 2 screens to break
09-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for input! I ordered one from jinfinance with two splits, hope it will work straight away! He (jinfinance) said it should work without shims, but just in case, he'll include some. So, now it's just waiting...
I can't afford to pay what focusinscreen or katzeye are asking yet...
01-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ordered for my K10d still have the back focusing problem

Not sure if it is the problem of the focusing screen or the camera itself. I have to use the debug mode to adjust about 130 to make it focus correctly. It may be my camera's problem.
01-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Let's be accurate, the Katz Eye is not a cut down K3 screen although it is modeled after one.
Do you use the Katz Eye screen yourself? Have you any evidence it isn't a cut down K3 screen? If they made their own screens then why even have the distinctive Nikon 12mm circle used for 80/20 centre weighted metering?

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Let's be fair, the FocusingScreen K3 is a large fraction of the cost of a Katz Eye.
Taiwanese labour is cheaper than US labour perhaps? Higher US markup?
01-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If they made their own screens then why even have the distinctive Nikon 12mm circle used for 80/20 centre weighted metering?
exactly the point, why bother to make your own glass (plastic) w/ that circle otherwise
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Katz Eye has told people they don't cut down the K3 screen. If their Katz Eye "Plus" is legit not to mention the OptiBright option, I could believe them. If they are bs-ing on those, then the whole thing would be questionable.
01-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Do you use the Katz Eye screen yourself? Have you any evidence it isn't a cut down K3 screen? If they made their own screens then why even have the distinctive Nikon 12mm circle used for 80/20 centre weighted metering?

Taiwanese labour is cheaper than US labour perhaps? Higher US markup?
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
exactly the point, why bother to make your own glass (plastic) w/ that circle otherwise
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Katz Eye has told people they don't cut down the K3 screen. If their Katz Eye "Plus" is legit not to mention the OptiBright option, I could believe them. If they are bs-ing on those, then the whole thing would be questionable.
Repeated over and over, as Blue mentioned Katz-Eye specifically mentions that their screen is not a cut down K3. Now perhaps they get their screen from the same place Nikon gets the K3 (You don't really believe Nikon makes every part of their camera), made to size according to Katz-Eye's request, I don't know, just speculating.

Agree if they BS on the source perhaps all their claims are bogus.

I am very happy with the FocusingScreens K3 and Ec-B that I already have and will not be paying a premium for any screen from Katz-Eye.
01-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I know this thread is about the k10D. But anyone know which focusing screen (without shims) is suitable for the k100D? Thanks