Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
camera bag - with or without lens cases?

I bought this thing:

Unlike the piccie, my lenses (average at best) are packed in it with front & rear cap, inside their cases. Is that unneccessary? Ie is it safe to say just use the caps? It's not as if I go trekking up the himalayas, my style is more sedate strolls between rural towns in gentle hills.

09-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Unlike the piccie, my lenses (average at best) are packed in it with front & rear cap, inside their cases. Is that unneccessary? Ie is it safe to say just use the caps? It's not as if I go trekking up the himalayas, my style is more sedate strolls between rural towns in gentle hills.
I just use the front and rear lens caps and leave the cases in the boxes. As long as the lenses aren't touching each other, I don't see an issue with just using the dividers in the camera bag.

Thank you
Russell
09-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Ie is it safe to say just use the caps?
That's all that I use.

Those pictures always crack me up. Like we need to see the front element of a lens to know that you are carrying lenses in a camera bag.
09-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't put any lenses in their lens cases if they're going in a camera bag, since the bag should be providing the protection anyway. Plus, it's more hassle than it's worth, e.g. if you want to get to a lens, you'll have to open the bag, grab the lens+case and then grab the lens out of the lens case.
Lens + front+rear caps + hood go straight in the bag for me.

09-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Lenses straight in the bag no cases, most used lenses cw hoods on are already mounted on bodies ready for instant use.
09-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've started experimenting with a Photographer's vest lately. There's less protection, so I've been keeping my lenses in lens wraps.