Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wireless remote F

just bought one on ebay...person claimed it was 'new' but i can't get it to work. Is there something I have to do in camera to get it to recognize the remote (besides set the camera to 'remote' in the function menu)?

my first thought is that it needs a new battery...which would indicate it isn't new at all, as it seems they should come with working batteries from the factory.

can someone with a remote control F help me figure this out?

09-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
how embarassing...could it be that it's not compatible with the K10???
09-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is this the same one as in this post?

If it is, it should work with K10D.

Hit Fn, then up arrow, then right arrow until the next to last icon "Drive Mode - Remote Control Unit" or the last icon "Drive Mode - Remote Cont. (3s delay)," then hit OK.

The red lamps back and front of the K10D should blink.

It could be that the remote control runs out of battery, but it's not likely. The battery lasts a long time.

Please report back.
09-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
how embarassing...could it be that it's not compatible with the K10???
Take your K10 into a dark room, really dark, with a <= 50mm lens on it. Set the camera to MF and M mode. Set the shutter speed to 15-30 seconds and the aperture to its widest. Hold the remote in front of the lens and while holding the button on the remote down, activate the shutter.

As long as you are in a really dark environment, you should get a nice red dot in the capture to tell you the battery and remote are working. If you don't get the red dot, change out the battery and then see if it activates the shutter per Soldbear instructions. If it doesn't activate the shutter repeat the above to verify the remote works.

Thank you
Russell

09-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Is this the same one as in this post?

If it is, it should work with K10D.

Hit Fn, then up arrow, then right arrow until the next to last icon "Drive Mode - Remote Control Unit" or the last icon "Drive Mode - Remote Cont. (3s delay)," then hit OK.

The red lamps back and front of the K10D should blink.

It could be that the remote control runs out of battery, but it's not likely. The battery lasts a long time.

Please report back.
yep, that's it...i'll give this a shot tonight
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i'm not sure what i was doing before, but it definitely works.
09-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so the wireless remote F will not focus the camera as the wired cable release will do right? I guess the idea is to prefocus and then use the remote to fire the shutter? which is essentially what i do with the wired cable release anyway.

09-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It does focus the camera if you have set the camera to AF, and in menu selected half press shutter to AF.

One more thing, it is infered, so it can't be anything blocking the senor and the wireless remote F in order for it to work.(The red area on camera handle or the back)

so the wireless remote F will not focus the camera as the wired cable release will do right? I guess the idea is to prefocus and then use the remote to fire the shutter? which is essentially what i do with the wired cable release anyway.
09-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Custom Menu setting "AF in Remote Control" has to be enabled. Default is off.

Thank you
Russell
09-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah i had it set to 'on' already. i'll just have to play with it a little more.