Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #31
Veteran Member
joele's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,309
I had the EC-L in my Nikon D90 and had no problem with it, other than the split prism is a bit big as it is a cutdown FF focus screen... I am thinking of trying out the EC-B this time for the K-7, I can always blaim WheresWaldo if I don't like it... ;-) (only j/k)

I was also looking at the katzeye but to get it with rule 3rd lines it is pretty expensive compared to focusingscreens.com... Also I have been told that katzeye (before optibright and markings added) is actually only a cutdown Nikon K3 screen, which you can buy from FS.com much cheaper (esp if you want rule 3rd lines only).. Anyone know if this is true (compared them maybe)??

11-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member
joele's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,309
The other problem is apparently a lot of focus screens do not show the correct DOF when you press the DOF preview button as they affect the DOF visable in the viewfinder themselves (especially more open than f4-5.6).. The K3 is menat to be better in this regard (hence the katzeye is too) I cannot find details on the EC-B, anyone know about this screen in that regard??
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member
WheresWaldo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 498
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I had the EC-L in my Nikon D90 and had no problem with it, other than the split prism is a bit big as it is a cutdown FF focus screen... I am thinking of trying out the EC-B this time for the K-7, I can always blaim WheresWaldo if I don't like it... ;-) (only j/k)

I was also looking at the katzeye but to get it with rule 3rd lines it is pretty expensive compared to focusingscreens.com... Also I have been told that katzeye (before optibright and markings added) is actually only a cutdown Nikon K3 screen, which you can buy from FS.com much cheaper (esp if you want rule 3rd lines only).. Anyone know if this is true (compared them maybe)??
joele, KatzEye has mentioned in the past that their screen is not a cut down K-3 although you cannot prove that by the images of customer screens from the internet. They charge an obscene amount for grid lines. But if you want more that a rule of thirds they are the only option.

Canon advertises their matte section as some sort of prism rather than what appears to be just a frosting on the cheapest screens. Maybe it is to solve the same issues Nikon does with its hexagonal precision matte.
11-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member
joele's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,309
thanks, I definately still wonder about katzeye and the K-3, but anyway I ordered the EC-B, hopefully I get it soon and I can see if I like it better than the EC-L I had on the D90..

11-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
The other problem is apparently a lot of focus screens do not show the correct DOF when you press the DOF preview button as they affect the DOF visable in the viewfinder themselves (especially more open than f4-5.6).. The K3 is menat to be better in this regard (hence the katzeye is too) I cannot find details on the EC-B, anyone know about this screen in that regard??
On a sidenote, on cameras with LiveView, DoF preview works a LOT better in LiveView (though still a bit off from a real picture).
11-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #36
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 18
I'd really like to see a comparison of how bright those screens are compared to the OEM screens.
I often end up having a lot of trouble focusing my FA50 at 1.4 cause its too dark...
Split-focus screen is nice but brightness is a very interesting factor for me
11-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member
WheresWaldo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 498
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PScott Quote
I'd really like to see a comparison of how bright those screens are compared to the OEM screens.
I often end up having a lot of trouble focusing my FA50 at 1.4 cause its too dark...
Split-focus screen is nice but brightness is a very interesting factor for me
This is not the easiest thing to do as you have to have a known light source and be fast enough to change the screens without damage or changes in the light. I have two K20D's and one is a K-3 and the other an Ec-B, I also have a Samsung GS-1S with the Pentax LL-80 screen, my daughter has a K200 with the OEM screen. It is too hard to compare the K200 with the K20 as the K200 is a Pentamirror and the K20 a Pentaprism.

As a subjective test, I did compare my K-3 to my Ec-B and I would say that the Nikon K-3 is brighter than the Canon screen.
12-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #38
Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,767
Has anyone tried any of these replacement focussing screens with a very slow lens?

I have an f6.3 500mm mirror lens which is really hard to focus using the OEM screen in my K200D. I have tried the mirror lens on my Chinon CE4 which has a split image screen, and the split tends to black out. However, the Chinon camera is 30 years old, so it's possible that there's much better screens now.

Years ago, a saw a "laser matte" focussing screen on a Canon SLR which was bright and easy to determine correct focus without a split. Is there any alternative screen which is likely to be better than the OEM screen with a slow lens?

Rob

12-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member
WheresWaldo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 498
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Has anyone tried any of these replacement focussing screens with a very slow lens?

I have an f6.3 500mm mirror lens which is really hard to focus using the OEM screen in my K200D. I have tried the mirror lens on my Chinon CE4 which has a split image screen, and the split tends to black out. However, the Chinon camera is 30 years old, so it's possible that there's much better screens now.

Years ago, a saw a "laser matte" focussing screen on a Canon SLR which was bright and easy to determine correct focus without a split. Is there any alternative screen which is likely to be better than the OEM screen with a slow lens?

Rob
I have used these screens with my 600mm f8 (which is really closer to f11) Sigma Mirror and no matter how you move your eye around you will get darking in one half or the other. Just no way around it. I used to use a matte only screen with grid marks on my MX back in the day and it helped, but long slow lenses really need a tripod and careful slow focusing.
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
Anyone already tried a K7's ME60 precision matte? I'm pretty curious about it...
01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #41
Senior Member
wildboar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 158
Bump for dlacoutures question. I've also been curious about the K7's ME60 precision matte screen.
01-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #42
Senior Member
wildboar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 158
fyi...

I emailed Pentax about the ME-60... their response:

"The AF Frame Matte MF-60 focusing screen comes stock in the K-7. The ME-60 is the same focusing screen without the demarcations on the screen.
"
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
review, screens, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different Focusing screens for K-X idkjai Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 7 11-13-2010 11:18 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Brand Focusing Screens and Katz Eye Focusing Screen K10D/K20D (Worldwid superbass Sold Items 8 03-26-2010 01:42 PM
focusing screens gokenin Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 1 10-24-2008 03:21 AM
MX Focusing Screens straightshooter Pentax Film SLR Discussion 5 06-11-2008 12:24 PM
Focusing Screens figmental1978 Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 07-20-2007 04:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top