Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the EC-L in my Nikon D90 and had no problem with it, other than the split prism is a bit big as it is a cutdown FF focus screen... I am thinking of trying out the EC-B this time for the K-7, I can always blaim WheresWaldo if I don't like it... ;-) (only j/k)

I was also looking at the katzeye but to get it with rule 3rd lines it is pretty expensive compared to focusingscreens.com... Also I have been told that katzeye (before optibright and markings added) is actually only a cutdown Nikon K3 screen, which you can buy from FS.com much cheaper (esp if you want rule 3rd lines only).. Anyone know if this is true (compared them maybe)??

11-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member

The other problem is apparently a lot of focus screens do not show the correct DOF when you press the DOF preview button as they affect the DOF visable in the viewfinder themselves (especially more open than f4-5.6).. The K3 is menat to be better in this regard (hence the katzeye is too) I cannot find details on the EC-B, anyone know about this screen in that regard??
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I had the EC-L in my Nikon D90 and had no problem with it, other than the split prism is a bit big as it is a cutdown FF focus screen... I am thinking of trying out the EC-B this time for the K-7, I can always blaim WheresWaldo if I don't like it... ;-) (only j/k)

I was also looking at the katzeye but to get it with rule 3rd lines it is pretty expensive compared to focusingscreens.com... Also I have been told that katzeye (before optibright and markings added) is actually only a cutdown Nikon K3 screen, which you can buy from FS.com much cheaper (esp if you want rule 3rd lines only).. Anyone know if this is true (compared them maybe)??
joele, KatzEye has mentioned in the past that their screen is not a cut down K-3 although you cannot prove that by the images of customer screens from the internet. They charge an obscene amount for grid lines. But if you want more that a rule of thirds they are the only option.

Canon advertises their matte section as some sort of prism rather than what appears to be just a frosting on the cheapest screens. Maybe it is to solve the same issues Nikon does with its hexagonal precision matte.
11-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

thanks, I definately still wonder about katzeye and the K-3, but anyway I ordered the EC-B, hopefully I get it soon and I can see if I like it better than the EC-L I had on the D90..

11-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
The other problem is apparently a lot of focus screens do not show the correct DOF when you press the DOF preview button as they affect the DOF visable in the viewfinder themselves (especially more open than f4-5.6).. The K3 is menat to be better in this regard (hence the katzeye is too) I cannot find details on the EC-B, anyone know about this screen in that regard??
On a sidenote, on cameras with LiveView, DoF preview works a LOT better in LiveView (though still a bit off from a real picture).
11-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I'd really like to see a comparison of how bright those screens are compared to the OEM screens.
I often end up having a lot of trouble focusing my FA50 at 1.4 cause its too dark...
Split-focus screen is nice but brightness is a very interesting factor for me
11-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PScott Quote
I'd really like to see a comparison of how bright those screens are compared to the OEM screens.
I often end up having a lot of trouble focusing my FA50 at 1.4 cause its too dark...
Split-focus screen is nice but brightness is a very interesting factor for me
This is not the easiest thing to do as you have to have a known light source and be fast enough to change the screens without damage or changes in the light. I have two K20D's and one is a K-3 and the other an Ec-B, I also have a Samsung GS-1S with the Pentax LL-80 screen, my daughter has a K200 with the OEM screen. It is too hard to compare the K200 with the K20 as the K200 is a Pentamirror and the K20 a Pentaprism.

As a subjective test, I did compare my K-3 to my Ec-B and I would say that the Nikon K-3 is brighter than the Canon screen.

12-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone tried any of these replacement focussing screens with a very slow lens?

I have an f6.3 500mm mirror lens which is really hard to focus using the OEM screen in my K200D. I have tried the mirror lens on my Chinon CE4 which has a split image screen, and the split tends to black out. However, the Chinon camera is 30 years old, so it's possible that there's much better screens now.

Years ago, a saw a "laser matte" focussing screen on a Canon SLR which was bright and easy to determine correct focus without a split. Is there any alternative screen which is likely to be better than the OEM screen with a slow lens?

Rob
12-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Has anyone tried any of these replacement focussing screens with a very slow lens?

I have an f6.3 500mm mirror lens which is really hard to focus using the OEM screen in my K200D. I have tried the mirror lens on my Chinon CE4 which has a split image screen, and the split tends to black out. However, the Chinon camera is 30 years old, so it's possible that there's much better screens now.

Years ago, a saw a "laser matte" focussing screen on a Canon SLR which was bright and easy to determine correct focus without a split. Is there any alternative screen which is likely to be better than the OEM screen with a slow lens?

Rob
I have used these screens with my 600mm f8 (which is really closer to f11) Sigma Mirror and no matter how you move your eye around you will get darking in one half or the other. Just no way around it. I used to use a matte only screen with grid marks on my MX back in the day and it helped, but long slow lenses really need a tripod and careful slow focusing.
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone already tried a K7's ME60 precision matte? I'm pretty curious about it...
01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #41

Bump for dlacoutures question. I've also been curious about the K7's ME60 precision matte screen.
01-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #42

fyi...

I emailed Pentax about the ME-60... their response:

"The AF Frame Matte MF-60 focusing screen comes stock in the K-7. The ME-60 is the same focusing screen without the demarcations on the screen.
"