Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bag for k7 and some small lens

Hi

Which "small" bag would you advice for k7 plus some small lens like FA50 1.4m, FA* 24mm, FA*77, FA* 31mm and maybe DFA 100mm ?

For example from the "stealth reporter" range by lowepro, wich one is best fitted for this ?

100 AW ?

Thanks in advance

09-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have bought a Mekko bag and was quite please with the setup, the quality and the comfort of their bag.

for such a setup, I would stringly advise a messeger bag like this one.
09-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #3

What style of bag are you interested in: sling, messenger, backpack, hip pack, etc.? Is it OK if your bag looks like a camera bag or would you prefer if it looks like something else (i.e., no photographic equipment here, please move along and don't steal me)? How about price range?

If you like sling bags, the LowePro 200 is a good choice. You will have room for the lenses plus other essential items. The LowePro is easily accessed via a zippered main compartment. However, it does look like a camera bag.

I am using a Crumpler 5 (or 6, forget which one) million dollar home, and there is room for your aforementioned lenses. It is a messenger bag, very secure, and doesn't look like a camera bag.
09-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote
What style of bag are you interested in: sling, messenger, backpack, hip pack, etc.? Is it OK if your bag looks like a camera bag or would you prefer if it looks like something else (i.e., no photographic equipment here, please move along and don't steal me)? How about price range?

Small enought is the main gold. All the rest will be accessory. (stealth/messenger might be also a good idea)

09-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #5

I'm a big fan of my Domke F-3X bag.

I tend to carry around various primes like yourself. As such I was looking for a bag that I could work quickly out of while switching through various lenses through the day. I must say this bag definitely satisfies in that regard.

But I can't say this bag is for everyone. Some people find issues with it's lack of padding and weather protection. Other's find carrying shoulder bags in general a pain to carry over time. Also, it doesn't come with cupholders...
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I have bought a Mekko bag and was quite please with the setup, the quality and the comfort of their bag.

for such a setup, I would stringly advise a messeger bag like this one.
Speaking of mekko, has anyone noticed that their logo looks like the Lowepro logo?
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beem Quote
I'm a big fan of my Domke F-3X bag.

I tend to carry around various primes like yourself. As such I was looking for a bag that I could work quickly out of while switching through various lenses through the day. I must say this bag definitely satisfies in that regard.

But I can't say this bag is for everyone. Some people find issues with it's lack of padding and weather protection. Other's find carrying shoulder bags in general a pain to carry over time. Also, it doesn't come with cupholders...
Another alternative that is nice and tidy and with more padding is the Domke F6 with an extra insert. I use this all the time for an MZ-S iwth the three FA Ltd or a K20D with four A.
This is my favourite small bag.

Cheers,

Luc

09-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Hi

Which "small" bag would you advice for k7 plus some small lens like FA50 1.4m, FA* 24mm, FA*77, FA* 31mm and maybe DFA 100mm ?

For example from the "stealth reporter" range by lowepro, wich one is best fitted for this ?

100 AW ?
I have a Stealth 100 AW for my K-7, with three DA Limiteds. It's a very nice bag although I'll probably replace the shoulder strap for a Domke one. The downside is the lack of dividers, meaning you'll have to keep the lenses in their bags if you want to prevent them from rubbing against each other. Not a big deal unless you constantly switch back and forth.

It will hold of that gear, too.

Thomas
09-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote

If you like sling bags, the LowePro 200 is a good choice. You will have room for the lenses plus other essential items. The LowePro is easily accessed via a zippered main compartment. However, it does look like a camera bag.

I am using a Crumpler 5 (or 6, forget which one) million dollar home, and there is room for your aforementioned lenses. It is a messenger bag, very secure, and doesn't look like a camera bag.
I second his questions -
style of bages ? sling, messenger, etc

will you just be carrying your photo equipment, or for example go out with a backpack with food etc.. meaning you can't use another backpack or sling.

look like a camera bag is alright or avoid attracting attention ?

In range of bags that I use that are fairly small :
lowepro slingshot 200aw - light, smaller than the kata, easy and fast access while still secure (unlike the fastpacks), considering the prime lens you have the 100aw or 200aw would be ideal.

stealth 200 - nowadays i just use it for storage, don't think it would go well with the set of primes you have.

kata 3n1 30 - my favorite, can be used as a sling or backpack, can get a tripod holder,
easy and quick access, the 30 version has lots of room but there is the 10 and 20 version if you want smaller.A little more expensive that the lowepro.
09-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
I second his questions -
style of bages ? sling, messenger, etc

will you just be carrying your photo equipment, or for example go out with a backpack with food etc.. meaning you can't use another backpack or sling.

look like a camera bag is alright or avoid attracting attention ?

In range of bags that I use that are fairly small :
lowepro slingshot 200aw - light, smaller than the kata, easy and fast access while still secure (unlike the fastpacks), considering the prime lens you have the 100aw or 200aw would be ideal.

stealth 200 - nowadays i just use it for storage, don't think it would go well with the set of primes you have.

kata 3n1 30 - my favorite, can be used as a sling or backpack, can get a tripod holder,
easy and quick access, the 30 version has lots of room but there is the 10 and 20 version if you want smaller.A little more expensive that the lowepro.
I have 500 AW and it's OK when I take k200d + k7 and a lot of gear for a shooting.

I like the way 500 aw handles, the problem is just to big if I decide to take only k7 and 3/4 primes, that's why I was thinking mainly on getting 200 AW.

Why don't you like 200 aw ?

Last edited by netuser; 09-20-2009 at 09:29 AM.
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #11

it s not that i don't like it, I just prefer the kata and slingshot.

I love the fast access when going from backpack to sling in the front, in sling mode in front of me it helps stabilize the camera by making a makeshift tripod with my arms.

It's more comfortable to carry around.

I can put more stuff if i have too (tripod, flash...).

the stealth is still fairly tall for lens, which means you would have to stack lens and protect them at the same time (pouchs) - so not as easy access - considering the size of primes...
While you can take out the camera relatively quickly, it's not as easy as with the others. I don't feel like it a camera with longer lens would fit well in there - or it take up more space.

Im also tired of having all that equipment on one shoulder. With a few lens the slingshot still feels nice (i had no problems with a full bag, for several hours running around in the egyptian heat), the chest strap helps a lot; hte kata does one better and can be used as a sling on either shoulder or as a backpack.

the latter two are much more secure on yourself, good when being active trying to get that angle or going on a hike/rough terrain not to mention crowded streets / pickpockets.

The stealth is good only when you have another backpack with you imo, though i havent tried a backpack and a sling up front....

hope that helps
09-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
davidvcd thanks for your view. It helped
09-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #13

Kata 3N-1

I second the Kata 3N-1 bags. I'm using the 20 version and find it very easy to shot out of and very comfortable.

It's traveled quite a bit with me to Costa Rica, Israel, Northern California and has held up perfectly.
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I wanted a Domke bag, but felt there wasn't enough padding. I bought two LowePro bags..good padding, like the weather protect cover.

But I added another layer of padding to the bottom of the LowePro's...I like additional cushioning with electronic cameras...sensitive stuff...eh.
09-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Sling Bag

Works for me... K-7 w/attached grip and one of the five amigos, the remaining four (or similar), plus a set of 8.5x21 Papilio Binoculars.

See...

Pentax | D-SLR Sling Bag (Black) | 85120

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 10-01-2009 at 04:05 AM.