Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #1

Lightsphere Questions

Has any body used Gary Fong's Lightsphere for outdoor portraits? What about indoors with dark walls and ceiling? What were your impressions? Has anybody tried the new collapsible Lightsphere?

09-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's designed for indoors use. Using it outside isn't going to do much unless you are near a wall that the light can bounce off.
09-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qquake2k Quote
Has anybody tried the new collapsible Lightsphere?
That is pretty cool. Still a bit big, but much better than the other bowls. $54.95 is a little too much for me to pay though.

Thank you
Russell
09-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually if you point the bulb toward the subject outdoors, it diffuses quite well. Here's a sample link and a little video from Gary.

09-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #5

My wife and I own an original lightsphere (non collapsible) for Canon 580 EXII flash. She likes it more than me and use it both indoor and outdoor. I, on the other hand, mostly use lumiquest softbox III.

The construction quality of lightsphere is very good and it diffuses light well. I have used it mostly outdoor as fill flash.
09-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Waste of Money

I have the Lightsphere Cloud C2... in a box... in the closet. I replaced the over priced "Tupperware bowl" with a Sto-Fen OmniBoune and it has the same if not better effect for only $16.00 USD. I also don't get people contastly asking me why I have a lamp shade or a Chinese take-out soup bowl on my flash. Save your money. I have tried to replicate the shots that Gary did outside in the video and had no luck. Most of the time they were underexposed. If you need something for ouside, get a LumiQuest QuikBouce and then a Sto-Fen for the inside. Both together would be the same price as 1 LightSphere and you will have better results and flexibility.

P.S. I should have known about the results of the LightSphere before I bought it when I saw that Mr. Fong also sells a "Getting Rich as a Photographer" DVD.
09-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So Gary Fong was hoping to get rich. He buddied up with a former pro who promised him the world; and when the pro died he left two letters behind, with the specific instructions to open each letter when there was a crisis.

Sure enough, a few years later Gary Fong was in trouble, his images not quite good enough. He broke down and opened the first letter. It said "blame it on film". For years, Gary Fong blamed film for its lack of immediate feedback, its lack of DVDs fresh out of the wedding, its lack in general.

People accepted that, and years passed.

Later on, Gary Fong was having a hard time rounding up business. He tried to fall back on wedding photography, model photography, anything. Nothing worked. He broke down and opened the second letter.

The second letter begun, "Get a bowl of Tupperware..."
09-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

I've seen a lot of other pros using it and in general they love it. was going to get the full set but back then it didn't fit my flashhead. I will probably still get it and pretty soon.

09-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi qquake,

I'm not a fan of the LS -- main objections are bulk, weight, and the need for different sizes for different heads. #s 1 and 3 have apparently been fixed at least somewhat with the collapsible model, but that one introduces price as an objection. The LS I have makes my 540 FGZ head flop since the detents are on the light side.

I usually use the Demb Flipit w/diffuser. Small enough folded to stuff in a pocket, light enough to not even notice that you have it, and more versatile by far once you've played with it a bit. Other than that, I like the Lumiquest Mini Lightbox and the newish RPS Studio Mini Lightbox as diffusers.

Scott
10-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Its the best $10 I every spent on a flash accessory. I use the one for the Pentax 360 on my Metz 48. I mainly use it indoors though.
10-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
So Gary Fong was hoping to get rich. He buddied up with a former pro who promised him the world; and when the pro died he left two letters behind, with the specific instructions to open each letter when there was a crisis.

Sure enough, a few years later Gary Fong was in trouble, his images not quite good enough. He broke down and opened the first letter. It said "blame it on film". For years, Gary Fong blamed film for its lack of immediate feedback, its lack of DVDs fresh out of the wedding, its lack in general.

People accepted that, and years passed.

Later on, Gary Fong was having a hard time rounding up business. He tried to fall back on wedding photography, model photography, anything. Nothing worked. He broke down and opened the second letter.

The second letter begun, "Get a bowl of Tupperware..."

oh man, thats one of the funniest things i've read in awhile.

It amazes me how many people will do something because they saw a pro doing it. I prefer the gritty look of a gatorade bottle, a coffee filter and some gaffers tape
10-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
. . .

It amazes me how many people will do something because they saw a pro doing it. I prefer the gritty look of a gatorade bottle, a coffee filter and some gaffers tape
Since I picked one up for $10, I like using it. I have never been a big fan of the ghetto look.