Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Kenko Pro1D filters

I've been investing in Kenko Pro1D filters for the simple reason that they are the only wide filters I know of with a front thread. The filters only stick out from the lens about 5mm so work at 10mm on the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6. Even better, the Pro1D filters can be used with a Cokin P wide holder on the Sigma at 10mm.

The Cokin P wide holder will only hold one 85mm square filter. It is possible to also use the Cokin CPL with the wide holder, but it is only 72mm wide across the glass. This is too small for the Sigma 10-20mm.

I currently have a Pro1D UV for use when the environment calls for it, a CPL, and a ND8 filter. Each can be used with the Cokin P holder and thus a GND filter in the holder. The CPL is pretty easy to use with the Cokin P holder. Simply rotate the whole assembly to set the CPL, then place a thumb on the CPL to keep it in place, and finally rotate the Cokin P holder around till it lines back up. It is a two handed operation, but doable.

I know some will say just hand hold the Cokin P filter, but unfortunately, I'm just not able enough to do this to my satisfaction.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
09-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the info. I use the same setup. Works a charm.

Has anybody tried various combos with the new 10-20 f/3.5? I'm sure a Cokin-P would already be ruled out since the filter size is 85mm.
09-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The one thing I forgot to mention is that with front threads, I no longer have to worry about that very poorly designed, soft plastic, push on, lens cap on the B+W slim filter I used to use. The lens hood of the Sigma 10-20mm is about as deep as my finger is wide so it is pretty much of no help in protecting the lens. Having a hard plastic lens cap on the filter is just so much better.

Thank you
Russell
09-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Kenko Pro1D's too, CPL and UV. simply because they are good yet affordable.