Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grip or just some extra bateries for k7 ?

Hi all

K7 handles OK on my hand without the need for the grip.
Whoever I'm thinking about getting the grip for k7 because it can take AA and also because of the easy to use portrait orientation.

Then, after cheking the price and taken into consideration all already writen don't know if I should get the grip (extra AA etc) or just pick some extra bateries(pentax or ebay ones that are really cheap)

What is your opinion ?

09-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would definitely get the grip.

1: you can shoot more without having to stop and change batteries

2: AA's are amazing as Im sure you know... nice rechargeables are cheap and last incredibly long. Also there are always AA's around

3: I believe you already anwered your question with "K7 handles OK on my hand" meaning there is something to be desired.

Also if you dont like it you can always sell it with a very minor loss ($10 less than new and people would buy it I guarantee it)
09-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

yeatzee - I believe you might be pushing me over the edge on this issue too ... Love the grip on my K20D and I miss it on the K-7 (I do like how compact it is though).
09-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just bought a grip for my K200D the other day to see how that fares first. The $40 bill for that one was an easier test than the $200 K-7 grip that I am thinking about getting. So if I just love it on the K200D I'll definitely pick one up for the K-7, since the bodies are approximately the same size. Hopefully it will help handling larger lenses such as DA*50-135 and F*300/4.5.

K200D grip supposed to be arriving today...woohoo!

09-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote

3: I believe you already anwered your question with "K7 handles OK on my hand" meaning there is something to be desired.
Hi

Probably because I'm not an English born speaker I pass a wrong idea.
I'm really happy with the way k7 handles on my hand.
It's light, easy to handle and even kind of stealth .
That was what I meant with OK
09-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought another battery for my K10D. I like street stuff and would like the camera as small and easy to carry as possible.
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using more and more k7 and DA*300 plus monopod and I just love the way it's so light

09-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Grip's on order - w/ a second battery too.
09-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've said before and I will say again. The AA battery feature can be a lifesaver. You never know when you'll be robbed and your charger will be stolen along with your stuff. The ability to plunk AAs in the grip on my k-7 totally saved my shooting on our family trip. Even if you don't shoot with the grip attached, just having it is a huge bonus.

The K-7 grip rocks. I was initially bummed that I couldn't store my remote inside but I'm totally over it now.
09-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #10

Having a Grip is always nice to have.

Having a grip that takes AA batteries is a must.

If you travel a lot or take pictures all day long it can come in real handy, especially when you can't recharge the battery. I always have some AA rechargeable batteries for all occasions - flash, flashlight, portable amp.... and a nice compact travel charger (but i'm phasing that out using instead a lacrosse charger - able to charge 4AA 2000mAh batteries in 2Hrs has been useful in real life).

And perhaps best of all - when you freaking go out and thought that you charged the battery but didnt or couldnt find the charger. Luckily in those cases I used the istD (which takes AA batteries) instead of the K10.

So yeah a little long winded, but in real world experience AA batteries have saved my butt, which is one of the big reasons I want a K7.
09-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah Mel and David, that was part of my thinking. Somehow, somewhere I recently lost my K-7 charger, and I couldn't use my K-7 for a week while I waited for the new one... bummer (nothing on the scale of the bummer you experienced Mel ).
09-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #12

I received my K200D grip three weeks ago, just in time for a week's vacation. I thought I liked my K200D compact size, but the grip feels really comfortable and is especially used for portrait orientation.

My two minor complaints are that I forget I have to turn on both body & grip power buttons and that the edge of my hand hits the AF button on the grip. Takes some getting used to.

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I just bought a grip for my K200D the other day to see how that fares first. The $40 bill for that one was an easier test than the $200 K-7 grip that I am thinking about getting. So if I just love it on the K200D I'll definitely pick one up for the K-7, since the bodies are approximately the same size. Hopefully it will help handling larger lenses such as DA*50-135 and F*300/4.5.

K200D grip supposed to be arriving today...woohoo!
09-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The D-BG4 grip for the K7 is comfortable. The ability to use AA batteries in a pinch is a must and a welcome addition to the Pentax grips. I also have to say the the grip balances the weight of my DA* lenses really well to keep them from being front heavy on the light K7.