Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #1

Equipment for on location lighting

Just wondering what is a good lighting set up for shootin on location. What equipment can be used? what power source to bring etc...?
I have a set of SquarePerfect SP160 strobe lights that I use for my studio. Is that something I can use on location?
Anyway any feedback on that would be appreciated!
Thanks!

09-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

Basically you can get a few Vivitar 285/283, Sunpak 444 383 or other variants which give you powerful AA battery powered flash with manual power adjustment.

Next step up in power are the LumeDyne and Quantum.

Next AlienBees with Vegabounds

At the top are the Bron, Profoto, Elinchrom and Hensel

Light output and cost are lowest to highest.

You can also check whether the Vegabound location AC battery packs are compatible with your lights or you can rent a Honda EU series of portable generators.
09-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The important thing to ask is "What do I want/need to accomplish, and what gear will do that for me?"

What kind of shooting are you doing?
09-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Basically you can get a few Vivitar 285/283, Sunpak 444 383 or other variants which give you powerful AA battery powered flash with manual power adjustment.

Next step up in power are the LumeDyne and Quantum.

Next AlienBees with Vegabounds

At the top are the Bron, Profoto, Elinchrom and Hensel

Light output and cost are lowest to highest.

You can also check whether the Vegabound location AC battery packs are compatible with your lights or you can rent a Honda EU series of portable generators.
Thank you! I will look into it.

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
The important thing to ask is "What do I want/need to accomplish, and what gear will do that for me?"

What kind of shooting are you doing?
I want to be a little more creative with my shoots. I am trying to do a little bit of everything. I shoot families, children and I am breaking in wedding photography and I would love to start using lights on locations for engagement sessions, bridals and weddings as well. My clients are the very low budget clients so right now what I do is enough, but I want to improve, get better and be able to eventually target higher end weddings.

09-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start reading Strobist

Read through Lighting 101 and 102 and practice the assignments in them until they make sense to you. After that, read the On Assignment archive for real world examples.

How much experience do you have with lighting in the studio? The principles are all the same, but you have the added joy of balancing with ambient light and sunshine.
09-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you're hauling studio lights w/ a battery pack/inverter around for weddings, you'll need an assistant. You'll never have enough time to do it yourself except at formals...