Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
0.42x Fisheye Lens Question...

I was thinking about getting one of these for live music shots, up front of the stage featuring punk music so its not going to be all pretty, and there will be a lot of pushing in the back etc!
It will be on a manual focus 1.4 50mm lens. I was just wondering if any uses one and is it worth spending the money on it...if not I'll put the money towardds some studio lights for band portraits and new baby boy shots which arrives in 4 weeks! Any thoughts most welcome!

Regards
Simon

09-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This thread should interest you. Scroll down and he has samples at 50mm.

With this your 50mm will turn into a 21mm. The guy from the post above also mentioned it was unusable under f3.3. IMO you're probably just better off getting a manual lens in the same or similar focal length.
09-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanx Wasser, That does help.
I have a 17-70mm, 17mm being at 2.8 so I guess its to no benefit at all really and given the quality of the final image its not really going to serve the purpose as I want a decent result. So I think I'll just stick to the 17mm lens until the opportunity comes around for a...say 10-24mm comes a long.

Simon
09-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

i had one of those for awhile as i was saving up for a DA 10-17 fisheye. I was looking for a fisheye distortion effect, so I mounted mine to the 18-55 kit lens for some fairly pronounced distortion.
It sounds like you want to use it to widen your 50mm for a little more field of view. I wouldn't really recommend it with that lens because the IQ is so poor on the filter, it will rob the 50mm of its overall quality. I found this attachment to be pretty fuzzy for the most part.
i will attach some old shots i took with mine so you can get an idea at least:

Sorry, i do not recall apertures used, but notice the center of the photo is in focus, and as you radiate outward, it becomes markedly blurry. out at the edges, it is ridiculous.
HTH