Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Tripod mount strap

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey, tried digging thru here and couldn't find much.
I recently bought a Sigma 150-500 for my K10. I remember reading that these heavy lenses have potential to rip the mount out of the camera, hense the tripod mounts on the lens body. Right now I took the stock strap from the K10 and have it looped weird into the tripod mount so it works, but it's not ideal. I use a hand grip on the body, and didn't know if there was a strap made specifically for tripod mounts for the big lenses that would be better to carry them around.
Thanks for the help

09-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
marcb

Try a BlackRapid strap (BlackRapid.com). I use one screwed into the tripod mount of my Sigma 50-500, and it works like a charm.
09-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Kirk Security Strap

Lens Cradle

Thank you
Russell
10-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First time I've seen one of these..then again, 'coz I don't have any of these humongous zoom lenses..hehe.
Must be tiring lugging those around. A strap is really needed!

10-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just took delivery of a Sigma 150-500 HSM from a member here.

It comes with a strap for the lens. The anchor point is at the tripod mount.

The included Sigma strap works fine. But I'll find a way to use the Op/Tech strap/harness I already have.

10-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

Does the lens point down when carried and does that put pressure on the camera from the strap?

It seems like you would want some type of quick release buckle. Maybe simply a piece of webbing with a grommet wrapped around the mount post that you can clip a j-hook on the actual strap to? That would be strong.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 10-06-2009 at 01:54 PM.
10-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Does the lens point down when carried?
Uh, kind of. I'd say it's 30 degrees pointing down (Pardon the image quality. The photo was not taken with a DSLR). The tripod mount can be rotated so the camera body can be right side up.

does that put pressure on the camera from the strap?
No, not at all.

It seems like you would want some type of quick release buckle. Maybe simply a piece of webbing with a grommet wrapped around the mount post that you can clip a j-hook on the actual strap to? That would be strong.
Yup. I'm thinking of a strip of webbing with a female buckle at one and and a male at the other end. The Op/Tech strap also has a female buckle at one and and a male at the other end.

10-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Yup. I'm thinking of a strip of webbing with a female buckle at one and and a male at the other end. The Op/Tech strap also has a female buckle at one and and a male at the other end.
So you take the strap off the lens and then clip to the camera like normal, so that you have security of having the camera tethered to your body, brilliant. Or completely off it you are using a tripod.

Thank you
Russell