Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #1

BEST, SMALLEST TRIPOD or MONOPOD?

I need an ultra-portable, yet quality TRIPOD or MONOPOD (or both).

One that is super-small when folded... like under 12 inches... the smaller the better... yet expands to a full-size, or almost full-size tripod/monopod that is relatively stable.

Any suggestions?

09-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I don't think anything like that exists...
The closest thing would be Gitzo Traveller series tripod. Check out Induro C014 or Velbon Sherpa Pro CF435 for a bit bulkier (some extra weight might not be a bad thing actually...) but much cheaper options.
09-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

This is great for travelling light.

Ultrapod II
09-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have and like the lighter of the two feisol monopods, quite light and good capacity

09-28-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Those are pretty tight specs. I too have been looking for something fairly compact, yet solid and ordered a Feisol CT-3441S last week from Really Big Cameras. It fold down to under 17 inches WITH THE HEAD ATTACHED. I will evaluate it when it comes in.
09-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #6

I think this tripod meets your specs. I have it and I love it.
Giottos U-Pod

U-pods

My version has the MH1004 ball head, which I feared wouldn't be able to handle my K20d, but it does without difficulty.

Caveats:

Orienting the camera for portrait (sideways orientation) is a bit tricky. I can't use it with the battery grip attached to the camera. The longest lens I have is the Tamron 18-250mm, so I've not really placed any heavy glass on it, nor do I think it could handle it.

Last edited by Optigrab; 09-28-2009 at 04:27 AM.
09-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not look for a hiking stick / pole with a tripod screw on the top, then place a ball head in it.

if you have the hiking stick already, you could modify it to achieve the same thing.

09-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Gitzo GT0541 Mountaineer
Weighs only 0.8kg with a 5 kg load capacity. 4 section folds up to a mere 48cm. It is a great little CF tripod that is excellent for traveling.
If you prefer a 3 section tripod, can try the GT0531.

09-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
and
Veteran Member

feisol has one that weighs 0.9kg and holds 10kg
09-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ixian Quote
I don't think anything like that exists...
The closest thing would be Gitzo Traveller series tripod. Check out Induro C014 or Velbon Sherpa Pro CF435 for a bit bulkier (some extra weight might not be a bad thing actually...) but much cheaper options.
I like the Gitzo Traveler also ....
Gitzo | GT90TT 90th Anniversary Limited Editi | GT90TT | B&H

... unfortunately my wife has a few problems with it....

09-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote

One that is super-small when folded... like under 12 inches... the smaller the better... yet expands to a full-size, or almost full-size tripod/monopod that is relatively stable.

Any suggestions?
I think that what you have described is commonly called an Oxymoron.

A small, lightweight tripod when expanded to a workable standing up height is wobbly, transmits vibrations and is generally very fragile and not too trustworthy.

Those miniature tripods that extend to say 16" are quite good if you can find a sturdy table to set them on when hiking some backwoods trail or a busy urban sidewalk.

A good unipod with a pan head would be preferable.

Mickey
09-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote

Any suggestions?
I was looking for something similar ages ago - saw an article by Herb Keppler about a tripod challenge in PopPhoto (which doesn't seem to be available on the web anymore)

A google search found this: Perfect Digital Camera Tripod - Velbon_MAXi_343E
I actually purchased Velbon Ultra Luxi F Tripod, which I believe is what Herb Keppler refers to in the article

Less than 2 lbs
~18 inches collapsed
Extends to eye height (for me) - hopefully that is what you meant by full size?

Only drawback is because it is lightweight, once fully extended it may not be stable for a heavy camera. Then again, most DSLRs and P&S's are light enough for it.

Last edited by PentHassyKon; 09-28-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: clarify ultra luxi
09-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a cheapie monopod from off Ebay (6 sections!) which folds down quite small, (just 13 inches and change with no head) ) I don't expect the locks to last forever, (And I had to remove some excess lubricant) but it's quite rigid despite all those sections. (Actually, possibly because of them: to get that many in there, they had to make the topmost ones pretty thick. Certainly not bad at all for maybe a thirty dollar item. )

Kind of an exercise in patience to re-collapse (the sections are not 'anti-twist,') but it's not ridiculous to hang it off a belt. I thought I'd try it on for concept before investing in something pricier, probably leave it in the car once I did so. (Camera support you don't have to worry too much about is good to have) I haven't exactly come to any conclusions at this point.
09-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
I was looking for something similar ages ago - saw an article by Herb Keppler about a tripod challenge in PopPhoto (which doesn't seem to be available on the web anymore)

A google search found this: Perfect Digital Camera Tripod - Velbon_MAXi_343E
I actually purchased Velbon Ultra Luxi F Tripod, which I believe is what Herb Keppler refers to in the article

Less than 2 lbs
~18 inches collapsed
Extends to eye height (for me) - hopefully that is what you meant by full size?

Only drawback is because it is lightweight, once fully extended it may not be stable for a heavy camera. Then again, most DSLRs and P&S's are light enough for it.
That article is pretty similar to one that I read in the past that recommended the Slik Sprint Pro a few years ago. The Sprint works great for my lighter 35mm cameras and lenses but that head just can't support my K10d, grip and a fast short tele.
09-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I built this monopod from the three legs of a compact-tripod. I use a Y shaped yoke as a lens rest. Each segment is 8" long when collapsed and doubles in length when opened, so the overall length varies between 8" and 54". One segment is useful while seated at a table, two segments while in stadium seating, and three segments while standing.

I use it frequently, especially with long lenses. I find I often use two segments while I'm seated in a theater, auditorium, or otherwise. On a Cabaret table one segment works nicely. It easily fits in my small camera bag.

Dave in Iowa

PS the top photo shows the three legs removed from the compact-tripod (Wal-Mart) and the 1/4-20 coupling nuts and hanger bolts used to couple them. Coupling nuts were epoxied into the foot of each segment and hanger bolts were epoxied into the top of each segment. I added rubber feet later.

I'm considering building a similar "stealth" monopod from an extendable walking cane with a "Derby" handle which will act as a lens rest.

It should be useful in museums & theaters (when I don't have the camera bag.)

Last edited by newarts; 09-28-2009 at 06:33 PM.