Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #1

tripod opinions please.

Does anyone have any experience with this tripod and ball head combo?

Best Traveler Tripod (Neo-1128T)+Smart Ball-head(LX-1T) - eBay (item 320371019748 end time Oct-10-09 05:13:26 PDT)

I need a compact, lightweight yet sturdy and stable tripod for my overseas trips, and this seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I have dealt with the dealer before and he is a great ebay seller.
Just looking for second opinions on this particular tripod, before I commit to buying.

At the moment the heaviest load would be a K-7 and a DA* 200mm lens.
looks like a great deal to me, compactness and portability is impotant to me.

Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated.

Paul

10-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very impressive tripod. I have not heard of this brand before though.
10-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New to me too. I like the Feisol-like legs that flip up & over the head. And the head looks like a Markins/Photo Clam knockoff. <shrugs>
10-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
New to me too. I like the Feisol-like legs that flip up & over the head. And the head looks like a Markins/Photo Clam knockoff. <shrugs>
I was thinking that the legs look a lot like a Feisol knock off.

10-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
haha, glad to see photo clam being referenced as an established brand! That setup looks interesting - that lens on that tripod looks alittle...ambitious to me (especially with the center column extended - that is madness!). but, for a portable setup seems as though it may work well. Even if that ballhead is anywhere in the ballpark of a markins or photo clam, it should serve you reasonably well. Using the arca dovetail system is an added bonus too; there are alot of options for plates that should fit.
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad. No idea who might have made it, and I might look at a 'Travel Angel' for that kind of money, but that looks... nicely designed. Especially if you want a center column.
10-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The tripod does not look too bad. But I wouldn't buy it, simply because the repeatedly advertised 12 kg capacity is more than just "ambitious" for such a flimsy construction. I have a Velbon Sherpa Pro 540, which is similar in size and construction and that is rated at 4 kg - which is honest and even leaves (in my practical experience) some headroom.

They also claim things like the first "detachable center column", which is simply not true - others have arrived there before. Also they waste a lot of words and images on things, which are absolutely common with other good tripods (like the universally matching head attachment screw etc.

I find the whole thing too much marketing rubbish and completely overdone to be considered a serious offer. For that price, you have a lot of other choices by manufacturers that got a good and honest reputation.

Ben
10-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks like a good tripod.
Why not try it and report a review here at the forums..although for the price, this would be an expensive "try" or "test".
Who knows, you might discover a new brand worthy of considering without the astronomical price that established brands offer.

10-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a doozy of a "traveler" knockoff design, but with a ballhead! I'd also be interested in the review, but not ready to part with my $ for the tryout.

For $230 USD, I would've expected it to be at least Aluminum, but the add repeatedly says "Magnesium metal." That's not the material you want to make long, nested tubing out of (they probably mean the cast joints), so I'm guessing the legs are aluminum.

For $220 USD you can get a well-known Feisol 3401 in carbon-fiber... not as compact, with no center column or ballhead, but frankly the center column is a major blur-inducer.