Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #1

Focusing screen compatibility: K20D - istD/DS

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone.

I just got a K20D, on which I'm using the 18-55 kit lens and two old Nikon series E all-manual ones.
I have no problem with manual focus (I actually enjoy it), but the stock focusing screen isn't much good for that, so I want to get a split image screen.
Problem is: where I am (Italy) I can either get K20D screens from China, spending little but having to wait a long time (like, a month or two), or I can get istD/istDS screens from an Italian seller, spending more but getting it within the week.

My question is: can I get the istD/DS screen and put it in the K20D? The auction says they're compatible, but I'd like to have more reliable opinions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

10-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A istDS screen will fit the K20D.
10-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why would you do this, the *istD or *istDS screen even it it was slightly different than the K20D screen would not make any significant difference in manual focus ability. It is basically the same matte screen, so to expect there will be a significant difference is unrealistic.

If you want to see a major improvement in manual focus order something like a Katz Eye or something from Focusingscreens.com as these are much better than the cheap Chinese screens available on eBay.
10-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I'd go with the Italian seller for the split screen. No sense waiting up to two months.

10-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
double post - sorry about that

Last edited by Fallingwater; 10-02-2009 at 06:34 PM.
10-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
A istDS screen will fit the K20D.
Thanks, this is what I needed to know.

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Why would you do this, the *istD or *istDS screen even it it was slightly different than the K20D screen would not make any significant difference in manual focus ability. It is basically the same matte screen, so to expect there will be a significant difference is unrealistic.
No, it isn't. The stock one is matte, the one I want is a split-screen.

QuoteQuote:
If you want to see a major improvement in manual focus order something like a Katz Eye or something from Focusingscreens.com as these are much better than the cheap Chinese screens available on eBay.
Way too expensive. Chinese will have to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I'd go with the Italian seller for the split screen. No sense waiting up to two months.
Yeah, I'll do that, even though it bugs me incredibly that I'll have to spend €32 instead of €18 for basically the same product. Still, it's not like it'll drive me into poverty, so I guess I'll just bite the bullet.
10-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fallingwater Quote
The stock screen is matte. The one I want to get is a split-image one.
My mistake, I though you were substituting the DS screen for the K20D screen

Way too expensive. Chinese will do fine.
I thought the same thing and I have three of the Chinese screens, all are now unused as the focusingscreen K3 and Ec-B are made so much better, I will never have another of the cheaper screens again.

10-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
although the real need to change screens is split image, I can think of one other reason to put an *istD /DS screen into a K20.

Manual aperture metering

The *istD metering is far superior to the K10/K20 metering with manual aperture lenses, and I posted quite some time ago, how much of an improvement this made

see the attached post

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/241716-post69.html

the fact was, just by changing the viewing screen I could duplicate the manual lens metering of the *istD on my K10D
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
although the real need to change screens is split image, I can think of one other reason to put an *istD /DS screen into a K20.

Manual aperture metering

The *istD metering is far superior to the K10/K20 metering with manual aperture lenses, and I posted quite some time ago, how much of an improvement this made

see the attached post

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/241716-post69.html

the fact was, just by changing the viewing screen I could duplicate the manual lens metering of the *istD on my K10D
While not a 100% fix (for me), it helped a lot. 85% better just moving to a darker screen...
10-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
I thought the same thing and I have three of the Chinese screens, all are now unused as the focusingscreen K3 and Ec-B are made so much better, I will never have another of the cheaper screens again.
Why? What's the big difference inbetween cheapo and super-expensive?
10-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Why? What's the big difference inbetween cheapo and super-expensive?
Screens are clearer when in focus, the matte surface resolves better, the ground split image is more precise as well as the microprism collar and the focusing screen is a bit brighter. All these things contribute to a better made screen.

I posted a thread that had images of the screen in-camera, look there before making your decision.
10-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
I posted a thread that had images of the screen in-camera, look there before making your decision.
I've looked at it. The worst screen of the group seems the first one, and even then the only real problem I can see is that weird line on the bottom of the circle (laser etching mistake?), which while annoying doesn't impede performance.
10-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm sure you will be happy with your decision whatever it is.
10-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

which ones are compatible with which:

K20D, K200D, K2000

Are the jinfinance kits different for each one?
10-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #15

Original Poster
I've just discovered the existence of double split screens. They are a bit more expensive.
Do they offer any significant improvement in focusing, or are they just a marketing "two is better than one" thing?