Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Photo Clam PC-33NS vs. Markins Q3 Traveler

I just got my new ballhead - Photo Clam PC-33NS from Kerry at Really Big Cameras.
BTW, a really nice guy responding quickly to my emails at 3AM, thanks Kerry!
Shipped my ballhead the next day early morning.
I bought it for my Gitzo 1541T to solve an issue I've head with Markins Q3 Traveler.
As you might know, it's designed to be used on a Traveler tripod but when the legs
are reversed, the spacing between the knobs is not large enough to accommodate one leg.
You can see it here:

So I asked Kerry if that was resolved with PC-33NS and he said yes. It was designed to
actually resolve that issue! Great, I asked him to send me one and I got it last night.
You can learn more about that ballhead here:

Photo Clam PC-33NS

First, Photo Clam is a Korean product, like Markins, produced by a company started
by a photo enthusiast. It's absolutely beautifully designed, the materials are top notch,
matching Markins. PC-33NS has one advantage - it's even slightly smaller than Markins Q3,
but can support 66lbs. Feels great and absolutely solid. The QR clam is great, has one
extra safety realease. The ball move is very smooth.
Here you can see PC-33NS side by side with Markins Q3 Traveler.

and here you see how it fits perfect in between the legs:

The only improvement they could make would be moving the side gap for lowering
the clam to the vertical shooting position so it fits in between another couple of legs.
But this is very minor, some people might actually prefer it the way it is because
it's more natural to use it that way. For transportation it would be better though.
I'm absolutely confident that Photo Clam is a very high quality product.
It's still unknown, but Markins also showed up one day from Korea
and people knew nothing about them then.
For the Gitzo Traveler owners this is the best solution on the market right now.

Andrew

10-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I am very happy to see a direct comparison of these. I have had the 33ns for almost two months, and in the small amount of times I have had to put it to use, it is a well machined piece of design. My first ballhead was an Amvona knock-off of a manfrotto head - it wasn't even in the same atmosphere as far as quality. Your point about Markins being a no-name at one point definitely applies to the Photo clam line of ballheads, they are quickly making a name for themselves (even if it is an odd one, haha). I ended up with the blue version of the 33ns, and it is quite nice combined with the basalt gitzo legs I recently purchased as well.

And Kerry was great to work with (answered all my questions - this is a reasonably large investment for most and he treats it with just as much care as you do in making your choice).
06-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
I just got my new ballhead - Photo Clam PC-33NS from Kerry at Really Big Cameras.
BTW, a really nice guy responding quickly to my emails at 3AM, thanks Kerry!
Shipped my ballhead the next day early morning.
I bought it for my Gitzo 1541T to solve an issue I've head with Markins Q3 Traveler.
As you might know, it's designed to be used on a Traveler tripod but when the legs
are reversed, the spacing between the knobs is not large enough to accommodate one leg.
You can see it here:

So I asked Kerry if that was resolved with PC-33NS and he said yes. It was designed to
actually resolve that issue! Great, I asked him to send me one and I got it last night.
You can learn more about that ballhead here:

Photo Clam PC-33NS

First, Photo Clam is a Korean product, like Markins, produced by a company started
by a photo enthusiast. It's absolutely beautifully designed, the materials are top notch,
matching Markins. PC-33NS has one advantage - it's even slightly smaller than Markins Q3,
but can support 66lbs. Feels great and absolutely solid. The QR clam is great, has one
extra safety realease. The ball move is very smooth.
Here you can see PC-33NS side by side with Markins Q3 Traveler.

and here you see how it fits perfect in between the legs:

The only improvement they could make would be moving the side gap for lowering
the clam to the vertical shooting position so it fits in between another couple of legs.
But this is very minor, some people might actually prefer it the way it is because
it's more natural to use it that way. For transportation it would be better though.
I'm absolutely confident that Photo Clam is a very high quality product.
It's still unknown, but Markins also showed up one day from Korea
and people knew nothing about them then.
For the Gitzo Traveler owners this is the best solution on the market right now.

Andrew
Unfortunately in Korea there are many returns for Photoclam, due to design faults and ball heads breaking down Many Koreans are turning back to Markins for quality.

Btw, though Markins and Photoclam looks alike, they're essentially two different items, just like Benro and Gitzo

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
06-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dominic Quote
Unfortunately in Korea there are many returns for Photoclam, due to design faults and ball heads breaking down Many Koreans are turning back to Markins for quality.

Btw, though Markins and Photoclam looks alike, they're essentially two different items, just like Benro and Gitzo

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
So, um, who are you? What is that link for, a trojan?

06-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think he dosen't know what he is talking about, I've had mine for over a year and never had any problem with it.
06-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was just a little flabber-ghasted that we have come so far as a human race as to have devolved into rabid fanboy-ism for such niche products as ball heads.

Clearly a Markins Shill! Must...Protect....Bottom.....Line!!!!

My guess is that dominic has both arrived in, and left the forum with a bang. It was fun while it lasted
06-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I was just a little flabber-ghasted that we have come so far as a human race as to have devolved into rabid fanboy-ism for such niche products as ball heads.

Clearly a Markins Shill! Must...Protect....Bottom.....Line!!!!

My guess is that dominic has both arrived in, and left the forum with a bang. It was fun while it lasted
Thanks, am still here. Was forwarded the link by a friend. I might be wrong, but that's what I heard.