Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
memory cards

for the K100D , is there only a few specific brands that work? I found a Walgreens 4gb SD and want to know if I'm limited to certain brands like my P&S Nikon is?

10-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
For my K10 and K20, I can use any brand card, so I would think the same for yours.
10-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Just get yourself a good quality (brand-name) SD card that's at least a Class 2 (no need to go any faster for the K100D. So I suppose you got yourself that K100D kit then, eh?
10-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No Ash, I haven't got the camera yet. But I was asking about this as I saw the Walgreen's card for so little money. In fact, it was cheaper than my Sandisk 2gb I have. I'll probably go with Sandisk again. I prefer brands I know a lot about and know they are quality.

10-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

IIRC, you will need to make sure that the firmware is updated to the correct version to support SDHC cards. Standard SD cards go up to 2GB.
10-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Who is IIRC? I plan on updating the firmware on the K100D when I get it. And I've actually already downloaded the file and instructions. I've updated firmware on computer components before without a problem.
10-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If I Recall Correctly.
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OIC.

I've heard of FWIW, AFAIK, IMO, IMHO and FYI. But never run across that one of yours.

10-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
for the K100D , is there only a few specific brands that work? I found a Walgreens 4gb SD and want to know if I'm limited to certain brands like my P&S Nikon is?
I would avoid 4Gb cards. Before SDHC was ratified there were 4Gb cards that were made that extended the then current 2Gb standard. These cards have now fallen into a no mans land of no support with the release of SDHC. Not all 4Gb cards are a problem, and any 4Gb card specified as SDHC compatible should work. I just prefer to skip the whole issue as 8Gb cards are the current sweet spot as far as cost per Gb.

I purchased Transcend 8GB class six cards on Amazon for $15. They even came with a reader. It looks like just the cards now are around $20, still not bad.

Thank you
Russell
10-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #10
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok thanks Russell. I'll check out the 8gb cards after I get the firmware installed, and after I buy the camera of course.
10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just remember that the remaining image count on a K100D will be stuck at "999" for a long time when used with an 8GB SDHC.
10-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I would avoid 4Gb cards. Before SDHC was ratified there were 4Gb cards that were made that extended the then current 2Gb standard. These cards have now fallen into a no mans land of no support with the release of SDHC. Not all 4Gb cards are a problem, and any 4Gb card specified as SDHC compatible should work. I just prefer to skip the whole issue as 8Gb cards are the current sweet spot as far as cost per Gb.

I purchased Transcend 8GB class six cards on Amazon for $15. They even came with a reader. It looks like just the cards now are around $20, still not bad.

Thank you
Russell
Don't know if it helps...but my Transcend 8GB card (also from amazon) just bit the dust in less than one year.

There are sandisk extreme III 4 and 8GB cards on amazon for $30 or less..might be worth the few extra bucks for what seems to be a higher quality card with a fast write speed.

Also...I remember that anything higher than a 2GB card would not work with my K100DS when i had one. Will firmware really remedy that issue?
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Don't know if it helps...but my Transcend 8GB card (also from amazon) just bit the dust in less than one year.
That's too bad. I know other people have posted issues with Transcend cards to Newegg's or Amazon's reviews. Just reading those two sites however, it seems like all the cards, regardless of manufacturer, have had failures.

I have eight of the Transcend cards, none have failed so far. I've even inadvertently washed and dried a couple. They remained in my pants pocket so that might account for their survival.

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Also...I remember that anything higher than a 2GB card would not work with my K100DS when i had one. Will firmware really remedy that issue?
SDHC update for Pentax *ist digital SLR's: Digital Photography Review
SDHC update for Pentax *ist digital SLR's
Sunday, 9 July 2006 07:25 GMT

Pentax Japan has released firmware updates for the Pentax *ist DL, *ist DL2, *ist DS and *ist DS2 which allow these cameras to use the new high capacity SDHC cards. SDHC cards have the same form factor as SD cards but allow for capacities of 4 GB or greater (by using sector addressing rather than byte addressing). Having recently introduced this feature via firmware for the K100D Pentax has also announced that they are 'preparing' a similar update for the K110D which will be released on September 14.

Thank you
Russell
10-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Why waste time with a Walgreens junk 4GB SD card when you could get a SanDisk 4GB UltraII SDHC Card at Walmart for $14.84.
Walmart.com: SanDisk 4GB UltraII SDHC Card: Digital Cameras

10-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw your thread Dan about the kaput card. I have always trusted Sandisk and have one 2gb in my Nikon P&S for two years now with not problems.

Russell, I'm not sure what capacity of cards are useable in the K100D after a firmware update. Pentax only states it allows use of the SDHC cards.

jogiba, I have not wasted any money yet. I was only asking because my Nikon only allows for certain brands to be used. However, I'll probably stay with the Sandisk brand.