Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #1

fashion shoots - Softbox vs shoot-through umbrellas

I'm at another crossroads... Softboxes or shoot-through umbrellas?

Equipment: 2 flashes: SB-28 and SB-26
Type of shoot: fashion/glamour

My main interest is image quality - not set-up or portability.

Softboxes seem to deliver higher quality light, mainly because there is a lot less spillage. Shoot-through umbrellas seem more convenient. What am I missing? I'm thinking that the answer to my question may depend on which type of light is being used and/or the quality or size of the umbrella or softbox. Is there a benefit to using a combination of both? Is it possible to compensate for the light spillage of a shoot-through by using multiple umbrellas?

Thanks

10-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try striplight. I find it easier to control. It doesn't blow as much light on the background (excellent for low key).

And, in the case of a dark bacground and model wearing dark clothes, you can easily put a narrow strip light vertically behind the model to create a rimlight effect that will separate the model from the background.

If you put the strip light horizontally above and behind the subject, you can easily highlight the hair.
10-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Short answer, for fashion/beauty I would recommend an Octodome/Octobank 3'-5'. Very versatile with removeable baffles and grids. Umbrella lighting is very boring/safe and not easy to control. I would be glad to send you some examples

Last edited by ramair455; 10-07-2009 at 04:49 PM.
10-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've also heard that striplights are more versatile than the more square softboxes.

I've spent a lot of time researching this. Umbrellas are cheaper and easier to set up, but end up spilling a lot of light everywhere. They also tend to eat up more light. Softboxes are more directional, particularly with a grid installed on the front. What you want to use is up to you and your budget.

10-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #5

About strip lights - I have 3 photoflex strip lights 2 smalls & 1 large (with grid).However while they are nice lights to have in the arsenal, they are not versital enough to use as a first/only light source.

Actually in my opinon, the light quality of the 33" Mola softlite is "fashion/beauty standard. A cheap derivitive of that light would be a good place to start.
10-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Look seriously at a decent sized beauty dish with a grid to control spill. I don't use umbrellas or softboxes at all. I prefer pan reflectors to either, and I really love my 24" beauty dish.